summiya

Selective Services for Federal Benefits

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I have a question regarding Selective Services. My husband entered the United State at the age of 25 years and 6 months on a K3 visa. We filed for adjustment of status and he was given a permanent resident status at the interview 5 days before his 26th birthday. Now he has turned 27 years old and applied for financial aid. The financial aid asked him if he is registered for selective services and he is NOT registered. We didn't know if he was ever supposed to register for selective services or not. We didn't even know about this untill we filled out FAFSA. Also, Will he be denied for U.S. Citizenship because he didn't register when he was 25?

Please help me out here. Thanks

I have a question regarding Selective Services. My husband entered the United State at the age of 25 years and 6 months on a K3 visa. We filed for adjustment of status and he was given a permanent resident status at the interview 5 days before his 26th birthday. Now he has turned 27 years old and applied for financial aid. The financial aid asked him if he is registered for selective services and he is NOT registered. We didn't know if he was ever supposed to register for selective services or not. We didn't even know about this untill we filled out FAFSA. Also, Will he be denied for U.S. Citizenship because he didn't register when he was 25?

WHO Must Register:

SSS Fast Facts.

Some non-citizens are required to register. Others are not. Noncitizens who are not required to register with Selective Service include men who are in the U.S. on student or visitor visas, and men who are part of a diplomatic or trade mission and their families. Almost all other male noncitizens are required to register, including illegal aliens, legal permanent residents, and refugees. The general rule is that if a male noncitizen takes up residency in the U.S. before his 26th birthday, he must register with Selective Service.

Men Cannot Registered after reaching age 26

According to law, a man must register with Selective Service within 30 days of his 18th birthday. Selective Service will accept late registrations but not after a man has reached age 26.

Some men may have failed to register during the time they were eligible to do so and may now find they are ineligible for certain benefits.

See What happens if I don't register?

WHAT CAN YOU DO IF YOU DID NOT REGISTER AND ARE NOW 26 OR OLDER?

If you have passed your 26th birthday and are now being denied eligibility for Federal student financial aid, Federal job training, or Federal employment, or are having difficulty obtaining U.S. citizenship because you failed to register, you have the the following recourse available to you: Explain to the official handling your case (for example, a student financial aid officer) the reasons for your failure to register with Selective Service. A non-registrant may not be denied any benefit if he can "show by a preponderance of evidence" that his failure to register was not knowing and willful. Offer as much evidence supporting your case, and as much detail, as possible.

HOW TO GET AN OFFICIAL SELECTIVE SERVICE RESPONSE SAYING YOU WERE OR WERE NOT REQUIRED TO REGISTER

If you did not register with Selective Service, and are now a man over age 25, you may be ineligible for certain Federal or state programs and benefits, including U.S. citizenship. Some agencies may ask you to provide an official response from the Selective Service indicating if you were or were not required to register. To receive such a letter from the Selective Service System, please call 1-847-688-6888. Your call will be answered by an automated voice processing system. Please refrain from pressing any numbers, and an operator will soon come on the line to assist you. You may also send a written request to the Selective Service System at P.O. Box 94638, Palatine, IL 60094-4638. Ask for a "status information" letter. You will have to describe, in detail, the circumstances you believe prevented you from registering and provide copies of documents showing any periods when you were hospitalized, institutionalized, or incarcerated occurring between your 18th and 26th birthdays. If you are a non-citizen, you may be required to provide documents that show when you entered the United States. Please include your name, Social Security Number, date of birth, and return address.

For your convenience, you can download the Request for Status Information Letter form, which includes the directions for completing this form. This document is in a PDF format.

FINAL DECISION

The benefit agency official handling your case, not the Selective Service, will determine whether you have shown that your failure to register was not a knowing and willful failure to register. The final decision regarding your eligibility for the benefit that you seek will be made by the agency granting the benefit (for example, for student financial aid, this would be the school's financial aid officer). In some agencies, an appeals process is available.

thats odd, when my husband adjusted his status, on the form it indicated that they will

forward his name to the selective service automatically. Are you positive, he isn't registered?

Did you go to their website and he wasn't found in their database?

If you go to page 5 of the AOS application, you will find that statement about them

being authorized to submit your husband's name to the selective service.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

thats odd, when my husband adjusted his status, on the form it indicated that they will

forward his name to the selective service automatically. Are you positive, he isn't registered?

Did you go to their website and he wasn't found in their database?

If you go to page 5 of the AOS application, you will find that statement about them

being authorized to submit your husband's name to the selective service.

Yes, I did check their database, and he wasn't found in their database. So, I think I'll have to call them and ask for a letter or something.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

When my husband wanted to apply for fiancial aid he had to get a letter from selective services that they were ok with his not registering. He was over 40 when he came but maybe that is what your husband needs to get.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Sounds close, what is the initial date on his green card compared to his birth date? That date on his green card is when be became a LPR and not before, you just said an interview.

If I compare the date of our AOS, they actually let me in on that one, my wifes' green card date was like a month later. They misplaced my stepdaughters application, her date was like 2 1/2 months later. Was a bit upset about that, but was no problems for us with the I-751, then they let her tail gate her mom.

If the date on your husbands' green card is after his 26th birthday, you don't have a problem. If its a couple of days before his birth date, depends upon who is looking at it.

My personal feeling on selective service, its a bad joke, was started during WWI when there was time to train, today, the entire world can be wiped out in minutes with a major outbreak. Can see why Reagan pushed for an all volunteer service, he used his actor status to get out of the draft, the likes of Clark Cable and Jimmy Stewart went. Bit as an aftermath, started this registering bit but only for males. Know of three young 18 year old girls that joined the national guard to get a couple of bucks for college. All three were sent to Texas for a whole seven weeks of MP training, then were shipped off to Iraq. None of them could open a fresh jar of peanut butter. So why are women exempt?

When my three sons before they turned 18 received a post card that said we know where you are, if you don't sign and return this card immediately, we will fine you $10,000.00. When I was that age, had four choices, enlist in the branch of my choice, get drafted, go to jail, or run off to Canada, I enlisted in the branch of my choice. But not dealing with me, but the USCIS, they will reject an application if sent in one day early. Reagan, Bush Jr., Clinton, were all draft dodgers, but the two later got out of it because their old men could afford to send them to Harvard. Obama never served either, ironic to me these guys have no problems sending our kids over. Least Bush senior minimized our causalities, got in there and got out. These other guys are just playing around, and not fair our boys and girls have to follow rules of engagement and dress up like targets fighting an unknown enemy. But they are put in that position, our leaders are not.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.