8 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

I know this question has been posted several times, however, I would appreciate any updated inputs if anyone is in the same situation

I filed for ROC and waiting for a new card. At the same time I need to travel OUTSIDE to US in my home country to bring my daughter who has been granted IR-2 visa.

I will take the letter of extension with me but I still hesitate ... It makes me very nervous knowing that I don't have a card (unexpired) with me.

When I was in Munich -connecting flight to US- they -airline officers check your documents very carefully. Anyone has a new experience with the officers? What about in POE in the States?

Hopefully I will get my card before May but I would appreciate if anyone shares his or her experience

P.S. Do i have to go and ask USCIS for the stamp in my passport?

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

if you have your permanent resident card that is still not expired yet, and you was sent a extension letter for one year,you are ok to travel, bring the original letter with you, and your permanent resident card, and state ID,coming back to the us show your card, and the one year extension letter,at the poe the officer takes the information from you permanent resident puts it in the computer an up comes your picture, all your information an immigration status,welcome to america......ps............don't forget your foreign passport, airline tickets must match the same names,if you have your passport in your maiden name then bring a copy of your marriage to be on the safe side.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

The only issue you may have is this: when going through local domestic airports you may run into personell who does not know much and thinks that only a valid GC is acceptable. They will then not check you in all the way through to the US, but only to the next airport on your itinerary.

As long as you originate in an international airport, even if the staff at the counter may have trouble approving you, they will call for a supervisor who knows what I-551 stamp and/or extension letter are. So you will be OK.

Hello Everyone,

I know this question has been posted several times, however, I would appreciate any updated inputs if anyone is in the same situation

I filed for ROC and waiting for a new card. At the same time I need to travel OUTSIDE to US in my home country to bring my daughter who has been granted IR-2 visa.

I will take the letter of extension with me but I still hesitate ... It makes me very nervous knowing that I don't have a card (unexpired) with me.

When I was in Munich -connecting flight to US- they -airline officers check your documents very carefully. Anyone has a new experience with the officers? What about in POE in the States?

Hopefully I will get my card before May but I would appreciate if anyone shares his or her experience

P.S. Do i have to go and ask USCIS for the stamp in my passport?

Edited by rika60607

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

The only issue you may have is this: when going through local domestic airports you may run into personell who does not know much and thinks that only a valid GC is acceptable. They will then not check you in all the way through to the US, but only to the next airport on your itinerary.

As long as you originate in an international airport, even if the staff at the counter may have trouble approving you, they will call for a supervisor who knows what I-551 stamp and/or extension letter are. So you will be OK.

Thank you so much

I would guess the airport security in MY country would not know about this letter of extension , so I will be held for a while until they find it out...I will be traveling with 2 kids: 1 infant and another 8 year old so I imagine how nerve racking it can be.

I just pray to get the card before I leave...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Ann, it might be a good idea to check if you need any authorization and/or affidavit from the children's other parent (assuming you have custody of both kids), to take them out of the country. Whenever my son is traveling from Brazil to US to visit me, I need to send his dad in Brazil an affidavit saying that it is OK with me for him to travel as an unaccompanied minor. The Brazilian authorities don't allow minors to travel without the paper work in order, the consent in writing by the parents. I don't know about England, but maybe you should check about that.

Have a good trip! :thumbs:

Edited by Precious

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Naturalization approved: 04-02-2013

Oath ceremony: 04-24-2013

Ann, it might be a good idea to check if you need any authorization and/or affidavit from the children's other parent (assuming you have custody of both kids), to take them out of the country. Whenever my son is traveling from Brazil to US to visit me, I need to send his dad in Brazil an affidavit saying that it is OK with me for him to travel as an unaccompanied minor. The Brazilian authorities don't allow minors to travel without the paper work in order, the consent in writing by the parents. I don't know about England, but maybe you should check about that.

Have a good trip! :thumbs:

My daughter's biological father is dead. She just got her IR2 visa and will be travelling to the States with me. The second child -is born in here and I will get parental consent from my husband -his dad. We live together but I think I will still need his permission to take the baby out of the country

Thanks for the advice

I worry about my card more at this point

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Do not worry too much, as long as you are in an international airport, there will always be a head of security who knows about extension letters/I-551 stamps.

Thank you so much

I would guess the airport security in MY country would not know about this letter of extension , so I will be held for a while until they find it out...I will be traveling with 2 kids: 1 infant and another 8 year old so I imagine how nerve racking it can be.

I just pray to get the card before I leave...

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

According to this http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/Laws/Memoranda/Static_Files_Memoranda/Archives%201998-2008/2003/crextensn120203.pdf if your GC(I-551) is expired and your NOA (I-797) is expired, you need a temporary I-551 stamp.

If the NOA is not expired, you do not need a stamp even if your GC expired.

Sent I-130 to VT 25-Oct-2007

I-130 Moved to California 6-August-2008

My petition has been in 3 states (1, twice) in 9 months!

Rec'd by CSC 8/9, touched 8/11, 8/12, 8/15, 8/20, 8/25

Approved Tuesday, 25-August-2008

10 months since we mailed the petition

Rec'd NVC 9/3, Invoice Generated 9/10, DS-3032 emailed 9/11.

Rec'd AOS invoice 9/15, paid online 9/15, Accepted as Paid 9/18, mailed I-864EZ 9/19

IV Invoiced 9/18, paid online 9/19, Accepted as paid 9/22

DS-230 sent 10/2

Case complete @NVC 10/8 - 11 months, 1 week and 6 days

Interview in Montreal December 18, 2008 - scheduled 1 year, 1 week and 3 days after the start of our journey. Takes place 1 year, 1 month, 3 weeks and 2 days after the start...

[X] Passed [ ] Failed Interview

Thursday, April 2, 2009 Activated Visa - 1 year, 5 months, 1 week and 1 day

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.