one...two...tree

Charles Ferguson's Oscar Speech Rips Wall Street: 'Inside Job' Director Levels Criticism During Acceptance

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

"Inside Job" won the 2011 Academy Award for best documentary on Sunday night. The film's director used his acceptance speech to delivery pointed criticism of Wall Street and the financial industry.

The Oscar buildup featured speculation about whether Banksy, a mystery man of the street-art world, might show up for his awards entry, "Exit Through the Gift Shop." If he was at the Oscars, he did not declare himself.

But it was the topic on most people's minds the last two years, the economy, that resonated among Oscar voters.

"Inside Job" director Charles Ferguson subjected Wall Street players, economists and bureaucrats to a fierce cross-examination to depict the economic crisis as a colossal crime perpetrated on the working-class masses by a greedy few.

His film examined the financial crisis of 2008. His speech lamented the lack of accountability three years later.

"Forgive me, I must start by pointing out that three years after our horrific financial crisis caused by financial fraud, not a single financial executive has gone to jail, and that's wrong," Ferguson said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/28/charles-ferguson-oscar-speech-inside-job_n_828963.html

Timeline

Wall Street is complicated and everyone liked to rip what they don't understand.

He made a documentary on Wall Street. He knows more than the average citizen and probably more than most news journalists.

Whether or not the guy actually knows and understands anything about it or not, 30 seconds on Oscar night is not really a good time to address it.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Timeline

Whether or not the guy actually knows and understands anything about it or not, 30 seconds on Oscar night is not really a good time to address it.

Why not? That's what his documentary was about. It was short and to the point. Quite appropriate, IMO.

Why not? That's what his documentary was about. It was short and to the point. Quite appropriate, IMO.

30 seconds to address an audience that probably hasn't watched the documentary and knows nothing about it? Yeah, highly appropriate. Oscar speeches are not Political, nor should they be. It's pointless, worse, it reduces his documentary to sound bite triviality which was hardly his aim now was it?

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Timeline

30 seconds to address an audience that probably hasn't watched the documentary and knows nothing about it? Yeah, highly appropriate. Oscar speeches are not Political, nor should they be. It's pointless, worse, it reduces his documentary to sound bite triviality which was hardly his aim now was it?

That's your opinion.

Anywhere this is posted the ONLY debate that is going on is whether this was a good place to make a Political point - he would have been far better off trying to persuade people to actually watch his documentary - I don't think this is the best way to achieve that but presumably you do?

Filed: Timeline

Anywhere this is posted the ONLY debate that is going on is whether this was a good place to make a Political point - he would have been far better off trying to persuade people to actually watch his documentary - I don't think this is the best way to achieve that but presumably you do?

He comes across as trying to be the next Michael Moore.

He comes across as trying to be the next Michael Moore.

Yeah, I am not sure that preaching to the converted is ever very persuasive.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

"Inside Job" won the 2011 Academy Award for best documentary on Sunday night. The film's director used his acceptance speech to delivery pointed criticism of Wall Street and the financial industry.

The Oscar buildup featured speculation about whether Banksy, a mystery man of the street-art world, might show up for his awards entry, "Exit Through the Gift Shop." If he was at the Oscars, he did not declare himself.

But it was the topic on most people's minds the last two years, the economy, that resonated among Oscar voters.

"Inside Job" director Charles Ferguson subjected Wall Street players, economists and bureaucrats to a fierce cross-examination to depict the economic crisis as a colossal crime perpetrated on the working-class masses by a greedy few.

His film examined the financial crisis of 2008. His speech lamented the lack of accountability three years later.

"Forgive me, I must start by pointing out that three years after our horrific financial crisis caused by financial fraud, not a single financial executive has gone to jail, and that's wrong," Ferguson said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/28/charles-ferguson-oscar-speech-inside-job_n_828963.html

The following should be in prison:

-Alan Greenspan

-Larry Summers

-Timothy Geithner

-Ben Bernanke

just to name a few.

Alan Greenspan and Larry Summers especially had a HUGE hand in what happened in the past 15 years and why we are where we are today.

The problem has been and always will be the FED.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Charles Ferguson was a management consultant and created one of the first internet software companies that he sold for millions before becoming a filmmaker.

He's got a little more credibility than Michael Moore when it comes to these things.

And most people in the Kodak theater, as Academy members, would have seen his film.

90day.jpg