toldsom

Can I travel outside of the country after I pass my Citizenship Test

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi All,

I just pass my citizenship test a week ago. I am still waiting for my oath Ceremony letter to take oath. Last night I receieved a word from my family from oversea that my 75 years old dad is in Critical condition and expect to be in hospital more than a couple of weeks. I'd love to go back to see him.

What should I do? Do I need to contact the USCIS? Please anyone have any suggestion?

I hope to go there soon, and I hope there is a way around to do this!

Thanks all,

Chris

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You have a valid green card so you will use that to re-enter the US.

Good luck to your dad.

Edited by Anh map

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

You have a valid green card so you will use that to re-enter the US.

Good luck to your dad.

Yes, I do have an valid Green Card and international Passport! However I also hope that USCIS would able to allow me to take oath earlier, and I can apply for a 1 days turn around passport before I leave. Do you also know how long it usually take to get the oath Ceremony letter?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Best thing would be to make an InfoPass appt. or try a walk in at the local USCIS office.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Yes, I do have an valid Green Card and international Passport! However I also hope that USCIS would able to allow me to take oath earlier, and I can apply for a 1 days turn around passport before I leave. Do you also know how long it usually take to get the oath Ceremony letter?

Yes you can travel there without any problems after the interview. After the interview I suggest telling the Immigration Officer that you want to have a interview date ASAP or say after a certain time. They may schedule you and may require evidence to support your rescheduling request. Some offices performs same-day oath ceremonies.

All the best to you.

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Timeline

Yes you can travel there without any problems after the interview. After the interview I suggest telling the Immigration Officer that you want to have a interview date ASAP or say after a certain time. They may schedule you and may require evidence to support your rescheduling request. Some offices performs same-day oath ceremonies.

All the best to you.

I am asking my sister to ask for the doctor's notes that stat my dad condition. Do you think that might help talking to the immigration? I am hoping that USCIS will see this matter is an urgent. I am hoping that I am able to go see my dad very soon.

Chris

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I am asking my sister to ask for the doctor's notes that stat my dad condition. Do you think that might help talking to the immigration? I am hoping that USCIS will see this matter is an urgent. I am hoping that I am able to go see my dad very soon.

Chris

Hey Chris from my view an Infopass maybe worthless. IF your interview is scheduled they wont schedule one any sooner, if you have an appointment then taking it to the interview maybe the best choice. if you want your scheduled interview to be changed (if you have one) then having the medical proof would be beneficial to getting this done. You would mail the appointment notice along with your request/reason back to the address where it was sent from.

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Timeline

Hey Chris from my view an Infopass maybe worthless. IF your interview is scheduled they wont schedule one any sooner, if you have an appointment then taking it to the interview maybe the best choice. if you want your scheduled interview to be changed (if you have one) then having the medical proof would be beneficial to getting this done. You would mail the appointment notice along with your request/reason back to the address where it was sent from.

Thank you so much for taking your precious time to research for me. Very highly appreciate. Well, I've already pass my interview last week. I just wait for my oath Ceremony letter to get here, but I can't wait that long cause of my dad. My sister will email me the letter tonight from a doctor office. I plan to bring to the local office and hope to ask them to do the ceremony this week. Please keep me in your thought and pray.

Thanks again,

Chris

Thank you so much for taking your precious time to research for me. Very highly appreciate. Well, I've already pass my interview last week. I just wait for my oath Ceremony letter to get here, but I can't wait that long cause of my dad. My sister will email me the letter tonight from a doctor office. I plan to bring to the local office and hope to ask them to do the ceremony this week. Please keep me in your thought and pray.

Thanks again,

Chris

Good luck and my prayers are with ya dad & Family....:thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Good luck...and remember if you do get to do the oath before you leave, you have to apply for your US passport at a passport agency (they will take your green card away at the oath ceremony). You need to show them your travel arrangements (within 2 weeks) and you need to make an appointment to go in.

Edited by Vawa-2006

May 20, 2008: Green card approved

N-400

February 22, 2011: Sent N-400 VAWA package

February 23, 2011: FedEx package signed for and delivered

March 15, 2011: Email NOA

March 15, 2011: Check cashed

March 17, 2011: Email re: Fingerprint Notice mailed out

March 18, 2011: NOA received (Notice Date 03/14; Priority Date: 02/23)

March 23, 2011: Biometrics notice received for 03/31

March 31, 2011: Biometrics completed

July 5, 2011: Online status: Now scheduled for interview

July 12, 2011: Received interview letter finally!

August 11, 2011: Interview Date (Garden City) - PASSED!!!

August 15, 2011: In line to be scheduled for Oath

August 16, 2011: Oath scheduled, notice sent

August 20, 2011: Oath notice received

September 15, 2011: Oath ceremony @ 8:30 AM

September 17, 20011: Passport application

September 21, 2011: Passport received

You CAN travel. All you have to do... When u get your Oath Letter, one of the questions asked is if you have travelled since your interview. This you will answer YES. At your Oath Ceremony just bring your passport & green card of course. You WILL be fine.

Filed: Other Timeline

The Infopass appointment is as worthless as the doctor's note. You are free to travel, and in case somebody is checking your mail at home they can inform you if you got the Oath letter in the mail. When and if that happens is totally field office dependent, and you just have to wait and see.

Most likely you have 3 to 4 weeks after receiving the Oath letter until the actual Oath takes place. If you are still not back by then, you can ask for a later Oath appointment. Even if you miss the Oath, you can reschedule a new appointment. You have all the nerve-wrecking stuff behind you, so don't worry about it too much.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

The Infopass appointment is as worthless as the doctor's note. You are free to travel, and in case somebody is checking your mail at home they can inform you if you got the Oath letter in the mail. When and if that happens is totally field office dependent, and you just have to wait and see.

Most likely you have 3 to 4 weeks after receiving the Oath letter until the actual Oath takes place. If you are still not back by then, you can ask for a later Oath appointment. Even if you miss the Oath, you can reschedule a new appointment. You have all the nerve-wrecking stuff behind you, so don't worry about it too much.

Thanks you all for your response and feedback. Good News after all. We just found out that our dad is doing a lot better now. We don't have to rush out there. We'll wait for our letter to arrive and to be sworn to become a citizenship. What a relief. whooow....... yeah...Again, thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I'm happy to hear your dad is doing better. I hope you will get your oath letter soon, so you can get that past you! :thumbs:

I-130 for husband - see TIMELINE

10/23/2007 - Receive SSC (took 9 days from POE)

12/04/2007 - Receive Welcome Letter

12/14/2007 - Received 2nd Welcome Letter and Green card!!!

======================================================

N-400

09/21/2010 - Mailed application to Lewisville TX location

09/23/2010 - Information input in the system/check cashed

09/29/2010 - N-400 receipt received

09/30/2010 - RFE mailed

10/15/2010 - Biometrics appt (@8am) YAY!!!!

11/20/2010 - Received the yellow letter (dated 11/17/2010)

11/30/2010 - Case moved to the Testing & Interview stage (Email)

12/03/2010 - Received interview letter

01/06/2011 - Interview @ 10:15a...APPROVED!

02/12/2011 - Received oath ceremony letter (dated 02/10/2011)

02/18/2011 - Received descheduled oath ceremony letter (dated 2/15/2011)

02/26/2011 - Received new oath ceremony letter

03/02/2011 - Oath Ceremony @ 1:30p (IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!)

03/09/2011 - Oath Ceremony @ 1:30p...FINALLY A CITIZEN!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.