one...two...tree

Something GOP doesn't want to cut: Funding for NASCAR

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

WASHINGTON — The Minnesota Democrat who's out to get rid of the Pentagon's sponsorships for NASCAR teams says she won't back away from her efforts and, despite GOP resistance, will broaden her fight to repeal tax breaks for track owners, too.

Rep. Betty McCollum says her work could save American taxpayers tens of millions of dollars. But Defense Department officials and lawmakers from NASCAR country say the sponsorships help military recruitment, and that the tax breaks could save jobs in the struggling economy.

In an interview Friday, McCollum said it doesn't make sense to keep the benefits for NASCAR teams and track owners when other cuts are being made to community health care, programs for homeless veterans and Head Start.

"I started to look what is in this large defense budget to see what's not related to security that we could redirect to critical supplies or mission support," she said. "Or in the case of racetrack owners, what are some of the special tax perks that some of the special interests are getting?"

She plans to file legislation to prohibit Pentagon sponsorships of dragsters, Indy cars, stock cars and motorcycle racing, affecting just about every level of motorsports.

"We should take a critical eye and a critical look and say, 'Is this an appropriate role for the government?'" McCollum said.

McCollum filed an amendment this month to prohibit the Defense Department from spending money to sponsor NASCAR teams, saying it's a poor use of money given the other cuts the House was making. The amendment came as the House, led by Republicans, spent days wrestling with $60 billion in cuts to the current fiscal year's budget.

In the days before the vote, her office logged angry calls from across NASCAR country. "There were some people that were very upset," McCollum said.

She also received a threatening and racist fax, which received widespread media attention and is being investigated by the U.S. Capitol Police. But her chief of staff said the office also received a lot of calls from tea party supporters who backed McCollum's amendment.

Her amendment failed, 281-148.

Meanwhile, racetrack owners received tax breaks worth $45 million in 2010 and 2011, aimed at helping them make improvements to their facilities. A two-year extension of the program was included in the tax cuts compromise that President Barack Obama forged with Congress in December.

McCollum said she'll file legislation to repeal the tax benefit. "It's an earmark," she said.

North Carolina Republican Rep. Patrick McHenry disagrees. His Charlotte-area district is home to half the NASCAR teams. His Twitter avatar last week was the No. 3 logo in memory of legendary driver Dale Earnhardt, who was killed in a crash at the Daytona 500 in 2001.

McHenry spoke against McCollum's amendment a week ago on the House floor and said in an interview this week that her goal didn't seem to be about saving money. He pointed out that her two goals — killing the raceway tax breaks and banning driver sponsorships — are aimed at the same sport.

"She may believe that none of her constituents watch NASCAR, but they do," McHenry said this week. "This shows that she is on the warpath against NASCAR. This is more about her disdain for NASCAR than it really is about saving taxpayers' money."

McCollum insisted, though, that she has nothing against NASCAR.

"This isn't about NASCAR," McCollum said. "I've watched the Indy 500, the Daytona 500. I have friends who are avid fans. . . . This is about making tough choices."

Read more: http://www.mcclatchy...d#ixzz1F5rtC100

After me and Billy Joe Bob Bodine come back home after a hard day of hunting coons and humping white tails, we like to sit down and watch us some NASCAR!

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

After me and Billy Joe Bob Bodine come back home after a hard day of hunting coons and humping white tails, we like to sit down and watch us some NASCAR!

talladega-nights-dancing.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Of course to Libs..... all money is the Gov'ts, thats why if they let you keep some via a tax law, it's actually considered giving you "funding".

When you take a deduction for your home, they view it as the Gov't "funding your home".

When Nascar or the NBA take a deduction for something... in Lib-speak, it means the gov't is "funding" these businesses.

When the Gov't sponsors an advertisement to increase its recruitment goals to fight its wars... it's not a simple business/ advertising decision, no... they are actually "funding" that sport, that magazine or soon enough the Gay lifestyle when they start running ads in "Out" magazine as they try to attract a new type of recruit.

It might be a good idea to cut out special tax breaks for Nascar or any similar enterprise..... but come on..... if Dems won't even be honest about the terms of the conversation... what are the hopes they are going to go along with real "Funding cuts"?

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

WASHINGTON — The Minnesota Democrat who's out to get rid of the Pentagon's sponsorships for NASCAR teams says she won't back away from her efforts and, despite GOP resistance, will broaden her fight to repeal tax breaks for track owners, too.

Rep. Betty McCollum says her work could save American taxpayers tens of millions of dollars. But Defense Department officials and lawmakers from NASCAR country say the sponsorships help military recruitment, and that the tax breaks could save jobs in the struggling economy.

In an interview Friday, McCollum said it doesn't make sense to keep the benefits for NASCAR teams and track owners when other cuts are being made to community health care, programs for homeless veterans and Head Start.

"I started to look what is in this large defense budget to see what's not related to security that we could redirect to critical supplies or mission support," she said. "Or in the case of racetrack owners, what are some of the special tax perks that some of the special interests are getting?"

She plans to file legislation to prohibit Pentagon sponsorships of dragsters, Indy cars, stock cars and motorcycle racing, affecting just about every level of motorsports.

"We should take a critical eye and a critical look and say, 'Is this an appropriate role for the government?'" McCollum said.

McCollum filed an amendment this month to prohibit the Defense Department from spending money to sponsor NASCAR teams, saying it's a poor use of money given the other cuts the House was making. The amendment came as the House, led by Republicans, spent days wrestling with $60 billion in cuts to the current fiscal year's budget.

In the days before the vote, her office logged angry calls from across NASCAR country. "There were some people that were very upset," McCollum said.

She also received a threatening and racist fax, which received widespread media attention and is being investigated by the U.S. Capitol Police. But her chief of staff said the office also received a lot of calls from tea party supporters who backed McCollum's amendment.

Her amendment failed, 281-148.

Meanwhile, racetrack owners received tax breaks worth $45 million in 2010 and 2011, aimed at helping them make improvements to their facilities. A two-year extension of the program was included in the tax cuts compromise that President Barack Obama forged with Congress in December.

McCollum said she'll file legislation to repeal the tax benefit. "It's an earmark," she said.

North Carolina Republican Rep. Patrick McHenry disagrees. His Charlotte-area district is home to half the NASCAR teams. His Twitter avatar last week was the No. 3 logo in memory of legendary driver Dale Earnhardt, who was killed in a crash at the Daytona 500 in 2001.

McHenry spoke against McCollum's amendment a week ago on the House floor and said in an interview this week that her goal didn't seem to be about saving money. He pointed out that her two goals — killing the raceway tax breaks and banning driver sponsorships — are aimed at the same sport.

"She may believe that none of her constituents watch NASCAR, but they do," McHenry said this week. "This shows that she is on the warpath against NASCAR. This is more about her disdain for NASCAR than it really is about saving taxpayers' money."

McCollum insisted, though, that she has nothing against NASCAR.

"This isn't about NASCAR," McCollum said. "I've watched the Indy 500, the Daytona 500. I have friends who are avid fans. . . . This is about making tough choices."

Read more: http://www.mcclatchy...d#ixzz1F5rtC100

I think we should de-fund NASCAR along with EPA, NPR, Planned Parenthood, ACORN, NEA, you name it. Let them earn there money themselves and stop taking it from my paycheck without permission.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lesotho
Timeline

NASCAR: Army general defends sponsorship

AL PEARCE

Not surprisingly, Army Lt. Gen. Benjamin Freakley is quick to defend the upwards of $10 million the government spends on sponsorship of NASCAR teams. He spoke out in Daytona Beach, Fla., shortly after a Minnesota congresswoman earlier this week introduced an amendment seeking to end the practice. The amendment was voted down late Friday.

Freakley said his command’s $7.4 million annual sponsorship has paid off in 46,000 recruiting leads directly from NASCAR.

“We know this is having an impact on recruiting and helping our recruiters with their jobs,” he said Friday at Daytona International Speedway. “The alternative is having a recruiter walk up and down a mall and talk to about 150 people just to get one person to engage them.”

The Army, National Guard and Air Force have strong presences in NASCAR. The Navy, Coast Guard and Marines are no longer involved.

“This is sort of America’s sport and the United States Army is America’s team,” Freakley said. “I have to invest in awareness. In some venue or another, I have to make some form of investment to make the American people aware of their army. And this is what we think is a good investment.”

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110219/NASCAR/110219831#ixzz1F6ozSlyR

“This is sort of America’s sport and the United States Army is America’s team,” Freakley said. “I have to invest in awareness. In some venue or another, I have to make some form of investment to make the American people aware of their army. And this is what we think is a good investment.”

:lol:

Hey buddy - there's a war going on. I think the American people are already "aware" of their army.

And "sort of" America's sport? That just sounds so stupid.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

How else do you get kids from Podunk to leave?

"Hey man, my recruiter said if I sign up this month I get a hat signed by Ryan Newman. Wooo hooo! America, f'k yeah!"

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

"Hey man, my recruiter said if I sign up this month I get a hat signed by Ryan Newman. Wooo hooo! America, f'k yeah!"

:rofl:

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Timeline

It is disingenuous (imagine that, Steven being disingenuous) to say that advertising is "funding" NASCAR. And what about the USPS ads during the Super Bowl?

However, I agree the governmen should cut funding to a lot of things. Perhaps if liberals do not like the military advertising in NASCAR they would support reinstituting the draft? Yes? No ads, just draft who you need. We could cut veteran benefits packages also. what about it?

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

Timeline

They used to draft kids from podunk. Maybe liberals want to do that again?

Gary And Alla