laylow

My Dilema

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi Friends,

I have a dilema that hopefully someone has gone through before and can just educate me on what I can expect. I just received an email stating that my approved NOA2 is being mailed out to me. While I am very excited about that, I am also very nervous because I recently was laid off from my job due to no fault of mine, but it still means am out of work. I am actively looking for employment and I feel confident that I should find something soon (hopefully), but is there anyone that has had a similar situation and wouldn't mind sharing their experience with me. A couple of months before I was laid off my previous manager did give me a letter of employment, but unfortunately I do not have pay stubs for the last 2 months, so I don't how that would work out anyway. I am currently receiving unemployment and I have money saved up, but I'm thinking it's definitely not a good scenario at this point. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanking all in advance..

Sincerely,

A little stressed :unsure:

I-129F Sent : 2010-09-04

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-09-10

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-02-22

NVC Received : 2011-03-01

NVC Left : 2011-03-03

Consulate Received : 2011-03-11

Packet 3 Received : 2011-03-18

Packet 3 Sent : 2011-04-12

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date :

Interview Result :

Sorry to hear about that, I'd be stressing too. Either get a new job as quick as possible, save up a few months of paystubs and see how it goes at the interview - or get a co-sponsor (probably your safest bet). Good luck to you!

Timeline

Sorry to hear about that, I'd be stressing too. Either get a new job as quick as possible, save up a few months of paystubs and see how it goes at the interview - or get a co-sponsor (probably your safest bet). Good luck to you!

Thanks M+P for the reply and the best wishes! Yeah I'm really hoping to find something soon, but I guess having a co-sponser would be a good back up just in case. Thanks again and good luck to you both on your venture. This site really has a lot of good info and being able to reach out to the other members is awesome.. It's a shame we have to go through all of this just to be with the one's we love, but who said the journey of life was every suppose to be easy? :) Thanks again..

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date :

Interview Result :

Thanks M+P for the reply and the best wishes! Yeah I'm really hoping to find something soon, but I guess having a co-sponser would be a good back up just in case. Thanks again and good luck to you both on your venture. This site really has a lot of good info and being able to reach out to the other members is awesome.. It's a shame we have to go through all of this just to be with the one's we love, but who said the journey of life was every suppose to be easy? :) Thanks again..

Very true indeed! We're all in the same boat here, so don't feel alone in the process! :thumbs:

Just throwing my two cents in here...

We went through something similar - our co-sponsor had lost her job right before we were going to send everything off and whilst we had appropriate bank statements, a letter from her employer, pay stubs - everything, really, and at the time - it was true and all that... we simply sought a new co-sponsor where there would be no questions.

My suggestion;

1) co-sponsor or

2) get any job in the mean time... assuming you don't have dependents, etc. I shouldn't think that the nearly $19k income thing is too difficult to meet?

K1 Journey
11/2006...... met for the first time on a night out in London!
11/25/07..... I moved to the UK on a work visa to be with him 🙂
02/27/09..... he proposed!
08/30/10..... sent I-129F
09/02/10..... NOA1
01/27/11..... NOA2 (147 DAYS from NOA1)
03/22/11..... INTERVIEW! (201 DAYS from NOA1) - APPROVED! --> Read the review here!
03/25/11..... visa received!!!
06/09/11..... POE LAX!! --> Read the review here!

AOS Journey
07/22/11.... SSN received
08/27/11.... our wonderful wedding!!
09/23/11.... sent AOS package
09/25/11.... AOS package delivered in Chicago (7:33 p.m.)
10/10/11.... AP rejection letter, refiled 10/17
10/11/11.... NOA1 received via text & email (AOS + EAD only)
10/15/11.... hard copies of NOA1 for AOS + EAD received (dated 10/7)
10/17/11.... refiled AP
10/18/11.... successful biometrics walk-in, Santa Ana, CA (appt for 11/1)
10/20/11.... NOA1 for AP
12/12/11.... call in to USCIS. Told to call back after 12/26.
12/23/11.... I-765 approved

02/1/12...... Interview
02/02/12.... Approved!
02/10/12.... Hubby's GC in hand!

ROC Journey

12/09/13.... sent I-751 to CSC

12/10/13.... package delivered / NOA1

12/12/13.... cheque cashed

01/06/14.... biometrics

04/18/14.... approval letter dated (received 4/22)

Naturalization Journey

09/29/22.... filed N-400 online

09/30/22... NOA/biometrics reuse

01/23/23... interview scheduled for 02/28 

02/28/23... successful interview + oath ceremony in Santa Ana, CA! so proud! certificate of naturalization received! --> Read the review here!

My suggestion;

1) co-sponsor or

2) get any job in the mean time... assuming you don't have dependents, etc. I shouldn't think that the nearly $19k income thing is too difficult to meet?

Just remember that the decision is made solely by the CO at the time of interview. There have been cases when co-sponsors with sufficient income were denied, just as cases when sponsors with sufficient income were denied. The biggest deciding factor seems to be stability (or rather, credibility) - can you support yourself - and THEN however many additional people? Do you have, at least, some skills/education to make a living?

People sweat the income requirement unnecessarily in alot of circumstances. Much like you said, $18,500 for 2 people shouldn't be TOO hard to find if you want it enough. As low as $8.90/hour x 40 hours/week x 52 weeks/year will earn above what is regarded as the requirement.

Timeline

Just throwing my two cents in here...

We went through something similar - our co-sponsor had lost her job right before we were going to send everything off and whilst we had appropriate bank statements, a letter from her employer, pay stubs - everything, really, and at the time - it was true and all that... we simply sought a new co-sponsor where there would be no questions.

My suggestion;

1) co-sponsor or

Kristin,

Thank you for your input and yes if that is the criteria it definitely shouldn't be to hard to meet especially in my field of expertise. I honestly can't remember in over 20 years not having a job, but of course this would occur just in the midst of this process. Just one more thing to stress about! I'm just trying to get as much info as possible, just in case something doesn't go my way. Thanks again for your input and good luck in your journey as well..

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date :

Interview Result :

Timeline

Just remember that the decision is made solely by the CO at the time of interview. There have been cases when co-sponsors with sufficient income were denied, just as cases when sponsors with sufficient income were denied. The biggest deciding factor seems to be stability (or rather, credibility) - can you support yourself - and THEN however many additional people? Do you have, at least, some skills/education to make a living?

People sweat the income requirement unnecessarily in alot of circumstances. Much like you said, $18,500 for 2 people shouldn't be TOO hard to find if you want it enough. As low as $8.90/hour x 40 hours/week x 52 weeks/year will earn above what is regarded as the requirement.

Thanks M+P you made me feel a little better! I definitely should be able to prove my credibility(lets just say I've been around the block more than a couple of times now)and I happen to be in a field (Telecommunicatons) that is always growing, own a home and have already raised 2 kids of my own, but I definitely think the more you have in place for the CO to see, the less chance of him/her to say "sorry".... Thanks again and much appreciated!

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date :

Interview Result :

• 1 month later...
Timeline

To my VJ friends,

Wow! Thank God things sometimes just work out when your just at your breaking point. I found a job!! and starting this coming Monday and like I said before thank God! it came just at the right time. My fiancee rec'd packet 3 and faxed back forms DS-2100 and the DS-230 just this week and she received acknowledgment from the embassy. That's one less burden.. Thanks to all for your replies and well wishes and i just wanted to give an update. I have another question that would like to get some feedback on , but I'll start a new post, since it's a different topic..

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date :

Interview Result :

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.