mrkhan

packet 3 and 4

35 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

not true, you do not have to show them your interview letter.

From my wifes appointment packet that we just downloaded online from the US embassy-Bogota website:

"At both examinations, you must show these instructions and your passport. You must bring one photograph (see photograph instructions) per applicant to each examination. If you do not bring your passport, these instructions, or photographs, the examinations will not be performed. Examinations from a laboratory or doctor not included on this list will not be accepted."

all you need are the instructions from the embassy, photo, and passport. No visa appointment letter is listed under the required items.

Edited by xelance

7/2/10- NOA1

2/9/11- NOA2 (transferred to Texas)

NVC

2/28/11- case number received

3/2/11- Paid AOS bill

3/5/11- Paid IV bill

3/12/11- expedite to Bogota consulate approved!!!

3/14/11- left NVC to Bogota for further processing

3/17/11- received by Bogota, emailed consulate and was told to send DS-230 and DS-2100 (packet 3)

3/18/11- packet 3 emailed to Bogota consulate, email confirmation on March 23

3/31/11- Interview date! Approved!!!!!!

Keep the faith, everything works out for the very best

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not true, you do not have to show them your interview letter.

From my wifes appointment packet that we just downloaded online from the US embassy-Bogota website:

"At both examinations, you must show these instructions and your passport. You must bring one photograph (see photograph instructions) per applicant to each examination. If you do not bring your passport, these instructions, or photographs, the examinations will not be performed. Examinations from a laboratory or doctor not included on this list will not be accepted."

all you need are the instructions from the embassy, photo, and passport. No visa appointment letter is listed under the required items.

what instructions???? the NVC agent told me just to take the interview letter and passport and one photo

is the interview letter which is SP 04 considered to be the " instructions"???

what instructions???? the NVC agent told me just to take the interview letter and passport and one photo

is the interview letter which is SP 04 considered to be the " instructions"???

????

• 2 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I am the USC and am petitioning for the K1 Visa. Will packet 3 and 4 be mailed to my fiance or will she have to go to the embassy to pick it up? She lives in Lahore which is quite a trip from Islamabad

Edited by Erik And Anum

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I am the USC and am petitioning for the K1 Visa. Will packet 3 and 4 be mailed to my fiance or will she have to go to the embassy to pick it up? She lives in Lahore which is quite a trip from Islamabad

hi erick you are talking about NVC last stage packet 3 is belong to fiancee visa fiancee visa is a nonimmigrant visa. and packet 4 is belong to cr1 ir1which is marriage spouse visa this visa is immigrant visa. lets come to your question about packet 3 yes you recieved packet 3 which is interview appointment letter and medical test details but this is the NVC LAST STAGE which mean when NVC complete your case and closed your case in NVC and send your case to benificiary home embassy country for benificiary interview with consular officer. iam sending you step by step details about K1 fiancee PLEASE READ IT CAREFULLY WITH CONCENTRATION HERE IS THE DETAIL

[/url]Overview: What Is a K-1 Visa?

The fiancé(e) K-1 nonimmigrant visa is for the foreign-citizen fiancé(e) of a United States (U.S.) citizen. The K-1 visa permits the foreign-citizen fiancé(e) to travel to the United States and marry his or her U.S. citizen sponsor within 90 days of arrival. The foreign-citizen will then apply for adjustment of status to a permanent resident (LPR) with the Department of Homeland Security’s (DHS) U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Because a fiancé(e) visa permits the holder to immigrate to the U.S. and marry a U.S. citizen shortly after arrival in the United States, the fiancé(e) must meet some of the requirements of an immigrant visa. Eligible children of K-1 visa applicants receive K-2 visas.

What Is a “Fiancé(e)”?

Under U.S. immigration law, a foreign-citizen fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen is the recipient of an approved Petition for Alien Fiancé(e), Form I-129F, who has been issued a nonimmigrant K-1 visa for travel to the United States in order to marry his or her U.S. citizen fiancé(e). Both the U.S. citizen and the K-1 visa applicant must have been legally free to marry at the time the petition was filed and must have remained so thereafter. The marriage must be legally possible according to laws of the U.S. state in which the marriage will take place.

In general, the foreign-citizen fiancé(e) and U.S. citizen sponsor must have met in person within the past two years. USCIS may grant an exception to this requirement, based on extreme hardship for the U.S. citizen sponsor to personally meet the foreign-citizen fiancé(e), or, for example, if it is contrary in the U.S. citizen sponsor’s or foreign-citizen fiancé(e)’s culture for a man and woman to meet before marriage.

The International Marriage Broker Regulation Act of 2005 (IMBRA)

Detailed information about IMBRA requirements is contained in the Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e), instructions.

The First Step: Filing the Petition

The Second Step: Applying for a Visa

Once the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you, the foreign-citizen fiancé(e), will apply receives the petition from NVC, it will provide you with specific instructions, including where to go for the required medical examination. During your interview, ink-free, digital fingerprint scans will be taken. Some visa applications require further administrative processing, which takes additional time after the visa applicant’s interview by a Consular Officer.

Required Documentation

You, the foreign-citizen fiancé(e), (and eligible children applying for K-2 visas) will be required to bring the following forms and documents to the visa interview:

Note: The Consular Officer may ask for additional information, such as photographs and other proof that the relationship with your U.S. citizen fiancé(e) is genuine. Documents in foreign languages, other than the language of the country in which the application takes place, should be translated. Applicants should take to the visa interview clear, legible photocopies of civil documents and translations, such as birth and divorce certificates. Original documents and translations will be returned.

Medical Examination and Vaccination Requirements

In preparing for the interview, applicants will need to schedule and complete a medical examination. Before the issuance of an immigrant or K visa, every applicant, regardless of age, must undergo a medical examination which must be performed by an authorized panel physician. You will be provided instructions regarding medical examinations from the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you will apply for your visa, including information on authorized panel physicians. SeeMedical Examination for more information, including a list of panel physicians by country, and frequently asked questions.

K visa applicants are encouraged to get the vaccinations required under U.S. immigration law for immigrant visa applicants. Although such vaccinations are not required for K visa issuance, they will be required when adjusting status to that of legal permanent resident following your marriage. Applicants are therefore encouraged to fulfill these vaccination requirements at the time of the medical examination. See for the list of required vaccinations and additional information.

Proof of Financial Support and Affidavit of Support Forms

During the visa interview, applicants will be required to present evidence to the Consular Officer that they will not become a public charge in the U.S. You may present evidence that you are able to financially support yourself or that your U.S. citizen fiancé(e) is able to provide support. The Consular Officer may request that a , Affidavit of Support be submitted by the U.S. citizen fiancé(e).

The U.S. citizen fiancé(e) will need to submit Form I-864 to USCIS with the application for adjustment of status to that of legal permanent resident following the marriage.

Do the Same Income Requirements Apply to Form I-134 as Apply to Form I-864?

No. The 125 percent of the federal poverty guideline minimum income requirement, the most recent year's tax return, and other requirements only apply when Form I-864 is needed. Applicants presenting Form I-134 will need to show that their U.S. sponsor's income is 100 percent of the federal poverty guideline.

Fees - How Much Does a K-1 Visa Cost?

Fees are charged for the following services:

For current fees for Department of State, see . For current fees for USCIS, see on the USCIS website.

My Petition Expired – Can It Be Extended?

The I-129F petition is valid for four months from the date of approval by USCIS. A Consular Officer can extend the validity of the petition if it expires before visa processing is completed.

Ineligibilities for Visas - What if I Am Ineligible for a K Visa?

Certain conditions and activities may make you, the applicant, ineligible for a visa. Examples of these ineligibilities include: drug trafficking; a previous visa; and submitting fraudulent documents.

If you are ineligible for a visa, you will be informed by the Consular Officer and advised whether there is a of the ineligibility and what the waiver process is. Learn more and see the complete list of .

How Long Will It Take to Get My K Visa?

For Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e), you can visit the USCIS website for the status of your petition.

Once your case has been received from NVC by the U.S. Embassy or Consulate that will process it, the length of time varies from case to case according to its circumstances. Some cases are delayed because applicants do not follow instructions carefully or supply incomplete information. (It is important to give us correct postal addresses and telephone numbers.) Some visa applications require further , which takes additional time after the visa applicant's interview by a Consular Officer.

After You Receive a K-1 Fiancé(e) Visa

If you are issued a K-1 visa, the Consular Officer will give you your passport containing the K-1 visa and a sealed packet containing the civil documents you provided, plus other documents prepared by the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. It is important that you do not open the sealed packet. Only the DHS immigration official should open this packet when you enter the United States. As the K-1 visa holder, you must enter the U.S. either before or at the same time as any qualifying children holding K-2 visas.

With your visa, you can apply for a single admission at a U.S. port of entry within the validity of the visa, which will be a maximum of 6 months from the date of issuance. You must marry your U.S. citizen fiancé(e) within 90 days of your entry into the United States.

Does My U.S. Citizen Fiancé(e) Need to File Separate Petitions for My Children?

No. Your eligible children may receive K-2 visas based on the approval of Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e), that your U.S. citizen fiancé(e) filed on your behalf, but your U.S. citizen fiancé(e) must list the children on the petition. After your marriage, your children will need to file separately from you for adjustment of status. They cannot be included on your application for adjustment of status. More information about adjustment of status is available on USCIS’s website under .

Important Notice: Under U.S. immigration law, a must be unmarried. In order to file for adjustment of status for your child following your marriage to your U.S. citizen spouse, the child’s stepchild relationship with your spouse must be created before the child reaches the age of 18.

Are My Children Required to Travel with Me?

Your children may travel with (accompany) you to the United States or travel later (follow-to-join). Like you, your children must travel within the validity of their K-2 visas. Separate petitions are not required if the children accompany or follow to join you within one year from the date of issuance of your K-1 visa. If they want to travel later than one year from the date your K-1 visa was issued, they will not be eligible to receive K-2 visas, and separate immigrant visa petitions will be required. If your child has a valid K-2 visa and you have already adjusted status to that of permanent resident, your child may still travel on the K-2 visa.

Entering the United States - Port of Entry

A visa allows a foreign citizen to travel to the U.S. port-of-entry and request permission to enter the United States. You should be aware that a visa does not guarantee entry into the United States. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS), U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officials have authority to permit or deny admission to the U.S. Upon arrival at the port-of-entry, be prepared to present to the CBP officer your passport with visa and your unopened/sealed packet containing your documents. Travelers should review important information about admissions and entry requirements on the CBP website under .

Adjustment of Status, Working in the United States, and Traveling Outside of the United States

Information for K-1/K-2 visa holders about adjustment of status, permission to work in the United States, and travel outside of the United States is available on the USCIS website under .

How to Apply for a Social Security Number Card

To learn about applying for a Social Security Number Card, visit the website for the Social Security Administration.

Further Questions

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.