4izenough

Government Shutdown

5 posts in this topic

Yes, that's what it means! Hopefully it doesn't come to that!!

10/01/2010: Engaged
10/29/2010: I-129f sent UPS to TX
11/02/2010: I-129f delivered to TX service center @ 12:13 PM
11/08/2010: Check to Homeland Security cleared
11/13/2010: NOA1 received

04/26/2011: NOA2 received

06/07/2011: Interview date

06/09/2011: Visa received

06/18/2011: US entry

06/25/2011: Marriage

07/28/2011: Employment Authorization Document filed

10/03/2011: EAD approved

10/06/2011: EAD received

09/30/2012: Matthew Jacob born!

08/27/2013: I-751 sent FedEx to Vermont

01/11/2014: New green card received

No, that is not what it means. The areas of the gov't that shut down would be things like public parks. Social Security, Immigration, and other services won't.

Spoiler

07/20/2011-------I-485 and I-765 Sent
07/26/2011-------NOA1 received via email
08/05/2011-------RFE Notification via email and text
08/11/2011-------RFE Hardcopy in mail
08/12/2011-------RFE Sent back
08/15/2011-------RFE Received at USCIS
08/24/2011-------Biometrics Appointment
09/06/2011-------Notice of Interview! (via text)
09/15/2011-------EAD Approved Notification via text
10/06/2011-------Adjustment of Status Interview - APPROVED!!!

11/08/2011-------Green Card Received!!

07/09/2013-------Lifting Conditions Filed

07/12/2013-------NOA received

10/01/2013-------Approval Date

10/15/2013-------Ten Year Green Card Received! Finally!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

No, that is not what it means. The areas of the gov't that shut down would be things like public parks. Social Security, Immigration, and other services won't.

Not so sure that is correct.. passports and immigration/visas would be affected. Under a precedent-setting memorandum federal workers are exempted from furloughs if their jobs are national security-related or if they perform essential activities that "protect life and property." Visas do not fit that requirement. Many visa workers are contract workers. "Regardless, federal contractors would lose out. Many contract workers could be furloughed without pay and not receive lost wages retroactively, especially in an extended shutdown.

Who won't show up?

"Here are some examples of what you'll find closed: Museums and monuments, passport and visa offices, and the Smithsonian's National Zoo."

So remember.... "The single most exciting thing you encounter in government is competence, because it's so rare"

Vermont Service Center :bonk:

url=http://www.tickerclub.com/]e736e35a2b.png[/url]

Time is relative... The mind makes it slow, the heart makes it fast, our friends make it worth while, and words... make it timeless.

12/27/10 NOA 1 hard copy received in Mail

12/31/10 USICS Notification on Website

05/04/11 2nd notice of Approval via website and text message! Thank you Jesus!

05/09/11 2nd notice I-797 hard copy arrives in mail.

05/11/11 NVC receives approved K-1 visa

05/13/11 NVC ships K-1 to Bogota

05/16/11 K-1 arrives at Embassy

05/18/11 E-mail Packet #3 to Embassy

07/28/11 Appointment scheduled at Embassy in Bogota. # Visa Approved #

The last time the government shut down, thousands of visas and passports went unprocessed. So, I'd assume that's what would happen this time too.

However, there is a really good chance that they will agree to a new budget or, more likely, they will reach a temporary agreement of some type while they work on a budget. I remember in an earlier thread that Piefre pointed out that the last time there was a shutdown there was a political backlash and most likely neither party is willing to risk taking the blame this time. Hopefully they will reach an agreement soon; even if it's only out of fear of their political future.

I would keep paying attention to the news; but don't worry yourself too much. Even if there were a shutdown it would most likely be very short. Hang in there. :thumbs:

So remember.... "The single most exciting thing you encounter in government is competence, because it's so rare"

:rofl:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.