lostinchina

Chinese girlfriend applying for F-1 visa with American student

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I'm currently 20 years old and still have 3 semesters of college left. My girlfriend is about 4 years older than me. I've been studying abroad in China since August and met my girlfriend in the middle of September 2010. I'm studying in a different city in China this semester so me and my girlfriend have been traveling to visit each other (twice so far). I'm not engaged but I do really like her and her major in college was English so we have no communication issues. The problem is, since I'm a student I don't have a job so I think that would be a problem for the F-1 visa application. Also, I would need to apply within 2 years of meeting her but that would mean I will still be in college with no job by the time I apply. Can anyone suggest what steps I should take? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You are confusing F-1 with K-1

For an F-1 student visa, YOU, the US citizen, does not need to be employed. Nor do you have to have apply within 2 years of meeting her

The F-1 is a non-immigrant visa. Your girlfriend would have to apply to a US school, be accepted, and then begin the F-1 process. SHE would have to show how she can finally support herself while in the US (which can require her to show $20,000 in available funds per year - at least that is what it was when I applied in 2005). Plus she would have to show strong and compelling ties to China to show that she MUST return after the F-1 terms have been met

Now, are you looking into an F-1 student visa or a K-1 fiance visa, they are 2 very different visas

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

You are confusing F-1 with K-1

For an F-1 student visa, YOU, the US citizen, does not need to be employed. Nor do you have to have apply within 2 years of meeting her

The F-1 is a non-immigrant visa. Your girlfriend would have to apply to a US school, be accepted, and then begin the F-1 process. SHE would have to show how she can finally support herself while in the US (which can require her to show $20,000 in available funds per year - at least that is what it was when I applied in 2005). Plus she would have to show strong and compelling ties to China to show that she MUST return after the F-1 terms have been met

Now, are you looking into an F-1 student visa or a K-1 fiance visa, they are 2 very different visas

Good luck

I'm sorry, I meant to say K-1 visa. I believe an F-1 visa wouldn't work since we would intend to get married.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You're looking at a fiance visa with a co-sponsor for the financial requirement

Look at the top of the page, fine the word 'guides'. Click on it and start reading about the fiance process

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Also, I would need to apply within 2 years of meeting her but that would mean I will still be in college with no job by the time I apply. Can anyone suggest what steps I should take? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I think you are confused on the K-1 visa requirements.

The requirement is /not/ that you have to file within two years of first meeting your fiance(e).

You just have to have seen each other, in person, sometime within the two years prior to filing the I-129F.

So it is not a problem to wait, and then file once you are out of school, if that is what you are worried about.

kitsig.jpg

K-1 Visa/ AOS Timeline:
(Detailed info on our timeline can be found here: About us)

ROC Timeline:

02/10/2014 - ROC Sent.

02/12/2014 - NOA1 Date.

03/11/2014 - Biometrics Date.

05/28/2014 - Card Production.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

A recommendation, I would Join: http://candleforlove.com And study as much as you can over there, Candle specializes in China --> USA immigrations topic.

Here is my take, you have been over there for some time, why not marry, and then file an I-130 petition to the Embassy or consulate over there, and then be able immigrate to the USA? This is the common approach for many who are over there studying and find something, this approach will save you time, and a lot of $$$$ as in over $900 in fees. Your GF/Wife would get a green-card upon entry to the USA.

DCF Spouse has a much higher success rate at the Guangzhou consulate than K-1.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

A recommendation, I would Join: http://candleforlove.com And study as much as you can over there, Candle specializes in China --> USA immigrations topic.

Here is my take, you have been over there for some time, why not marry, and then file an I-130 petition to the Embassy or consulate over there, and then be able immigrate to the USA? This is the common approach for many who are over there studying and find something, this approach will save you time, and a lot of $$$$ as in over $900 in fees. Your GF/Wife would get a green-card upon entry to the USA.

DCF Spouse has a much higher success rate at the Guangzhou consulate than K-1.

I'm not sure if I can file an I-130 since I only lived 4 months in the city I met my girlfriend and now I live in Hong Kong (will stay for 5 months) which is technically owned by China but US immigration has separate consulates.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I'm not sure if I can file an I-130 since I only lived 4 months in the city I met my girlfriend and now I live in Hong Kong (will stay for 5 months) which is technically owned by China but US immigration has separate consulates.

Yep, you need to be residing in a counselor district for at least 6 months.

Again visit the site I linked you, there you will find out how to avoid pitfalls with the Guangzhou consulate, they like handing out denials to K-1 like candy.

Your GF is mainland Chinese so should be dealing with Guangzhou, not HK.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

August 13, 2011.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Would it be possible to get her a travel visa before applying for the K-1 or would that be very difficult since she is Chinese?

Virtually impossible. Plan on you doing the international travel for visits.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Should I even have her apply for a tourist visa or would that mess things up for the K-1 if she gets denied?

It won't mess anything up except somebody's calendar and bank account.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.