peejay

Obama is wrong on immigration

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline

Obama is wrong on immigration

February 21, 2011

By Jan C. Ting

Both my parents were immigrants. Many of their friends were immigrants. And many of the children I grew up with were the children of immigrants. Of course I respect and admire immigrants.

We all should, since every American is either an immigrant or the descendant of ancestors who came here from somewhere else. And that includes Native Americans.

But whether we should respect and admire immigrants is not the issue. The hard issue, which too many politicians try to avoid discussing, is whether or not to enforce a numerical limit on how many immigrants we allow in each year.

Enforcing a numerical limit means turning away people like our ancestors, not because they are bad people, but simply because their entry would exceed the numerical limit we have set. Whether we set the numerical limit higher or lower, it has to be enforced to have any meaning. Those seeking entry in excess of the limit must be turned away. And if they come anyway in violation of our laws, they must be deported.

The alternative would be to have no numerical limit on immigration, to allow all who wish to come here in search of a better life to do so. That actually was U.S. policy during the first century of the republic, when our labor needs were thought to be so great that we actually went out and found people who didn't want to come here and forced them to come here and work against their will.

There is an intellectually coherent argument to be made for restoring open borders and letting in everybody. As a lawyer, I'm sure I could make that argument if someone wanted to hire me to do so. But I doubt that my argument would gain much traction in the court of public opinion.

The magnet's pull is strong

Americans understand that much of the world's population aspires to live as we do in the United States, and if they had the opportunity they would come here to try their luck as immigrants. The communications revolution has spread the knowledge throughout the still developing world that residents of advanced countries live remarkably better lives. The transportation revolution has made it possible for anyone in the world to try to join them.

Americans appreciate the positive contributions made by immigrants to our quality of life, and no one is seriously proposing eliminating all legal immigration to the U.S. But what the overall number should be, and what categories of immigrants should be preferred in choosing that number, are topics we should be debating.

We currently have the most generous, and complicated, system of legal immigration in the world. We issue more green cards every year allowing the admission of legal immigrants with a clear path to full citizenship, than all the rest of the nations of the world combined. In a typical year the formula works out to about 1 million such legal immigrants.

But enforcing our legal limits on immigration is difficult because, as the economist Walter Williams observed when he taught at Temple University many years ago, "The poor people of the world may be poor, but they are not stupid. They are as capable of doing multi-functional cost-benefit analysis to determine their own self-interest as anyone in this room."

Would-be immigrants, unable to qualify legally, weigh the costs and benefits in deciding whether or not to immigrate in violation of our legal limits. If we want to discourage illegal immigration, we need to raise the risks of failure and reduce the benefits of success: More barriers to illegal entry, more enforcement and deportation of violators, less access to work and other benefits while illegally in the country.

An illogical policy

Conversely, if we want to encourage more illegal immigration in violation of our laws, all we have to do is lower the risks of failure, by reducing enforcement, and increasing access to work and other benefits after illegally entering the country.

What we clearly cannot do is lower the risks and increase the benefits of illegal immigration, and then expect illegal immigration to go down. But that is what too many politicians, including President Obama, propose when they endorse so-called "comprehensive immigration reform", which includes an amnesty and a pathway to citizenship for all those aliens who are present in violation of our immigration laws.

Amnesty is the single greatest reward for illegal immigration to the U.S., and is sure to set off a stampede of illegal immigration as followed the first big amnesty back in 1986.

Instead, if we want to enforce numerical limits on immigration, we should increase enforcement by directing all federal law enforcement officers to enforce our immigration laws to the maximum extent of their capability. Having given up on the fantasy of a "virtual" fence at the border, we should resume building the real, physical fence which has proven effective in reducing illegal entries.

And to reduce the benefits of illegal entry, we should require all employers in the U.S. to use "E-Verify" to electronically check the social security numbers of all employees before they are hired.

Politicians need to stop talking around the issue and focus on the real question: Do we want to enforce or abolish our numerical limits on immigration?

http://www.newsworks.org/index.php/blogs/brandywine-to-broad/item/12545-obama-wrong-on-immigration

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

Filed: Other Timeline

Agreed.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Ammesty, is rewards for illegals, what a slap in the face to all of us that go through the long process. If that would happen, who do you think they would vote for? With our illegal population at about 10% or more and growing, it is difficult for the average citizen to get a job, and will get worse each year. No wonder the government is broke, with so many not paying taxes into the system. Our borders are not secure, because our government does not want the border to be secure. Why is it there are no military base on or near the border? We do not secure our border, but try to get anywhere near "area 51", where we secure the UFOs and many secret projects, we do not have. Newly elected politian's top priority is to get relected, and govenment control of the people. It is easier to control people that are illegal, poor and uneducated. This policy will turn around after awhile and bite the government in the butt, or we will end up like the Arab countries are doing today. Look at the news, the state governments are attacking the teachers of the US.

Edited by Bob g

April 2008 Met online ..................... March 2010.. 3 week visit......... 19 Nov...Sent DS230 & I-864

April 2009 Met in Chongqing .......... 09 March 2010 .. Marry.................17Dec...NVC lost 230 and 864

04 May 09 Apply K1 .................... 10 April .. Apply CR1....................20Dec..NVC found 230

18 May 09 NOA 1......................... 20 April... NOA1...........................28Dec..sent more 864 docs

16 Sep 09 NOA 2......................... 06 Oct..... NOA2...........................2011

08 Nov 09 P3................................... 21 Oct..... Have Case #..............21 Jan...SIF

06 Dec 09 P4............................... 30 OCt..... Have DS-3032...............26 Jan .. CC

29 Dec 09. Interview..................... 1 Nov..... email Ds-3032...............1 Apr, 3 week visit

29 Dec,,,,No Visa.......................... 1 Nov......paid AOS.......................4 May Interview.Approved..

9 Aug 2010 I-129F ended.............. 5 Nov......paid IV.........,,,,,,,,,,, ..... 28 June, Received Visa

............................................................................................................22 July, arrive USA..

Timeline

Ammesty, is rewards for illegals, what a slap in the face to all of us that go through the long process. If that would happen, who do you think they would vote for?

undocumented-democrats.jpg

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

Ammesty, is rewards for illegals, what a slap in the face to all of us that go through the long process. If that would happen, who do you think they would vote for? With our illegal population at about 10% or more and growing, it is difficult for the average citizen to get a job, and will get worse each year. No wonder the government is broke, with so many not paying taxes into the system. Our borders are not secure, because our government does not want the border to be secure. Why is it there are no military base on or near the border? We do not secure our border, but try to get anywhere near "area 51", where we secure the UFOs and many secret projects, we do not have. Newly elected politian's top priority is to get relected, and govenment control of the people. It is easier to control people that are illegal, poor and uneducated. This policy will turn around after awhile and bite the government in the butt, or we will end up like the Arab countries are doing today. Look at the news, the state governments are attacking the teachers of the US.

Just got to Columbia University's online job posts. There are loads of available jobs. Same with NYU and City.

The problem is there are not enough educated americans that can do the jobs that need education.

03/09/2011 AOS Application Sent.
03/11/2011 (Day 0) Application Received
03/16/2011 (Day 7) NOA 1 (Text Email)+ (Checks Cashed)
03/19/2011 (Day 10) Hard Copy of NOA 1
03/28/2011 (Day 19) Biometrics letter 4/8/2011
04/08/2011 (Day 30) Successful Biometrics for I-765/I-485
05/13/2011 (Day 65) EAD received in the mail
05/14/2011 (Day 66) Email confirming EAD approved (Case updated online TOUCH)
05/20/2011 (Day 72) SSN In the Mail.

09/08/2011 (Day 200 ) Email notification of Interview.
10/11/2011 Interview at 26 Federal Plaza, NY!
Interviewed and Am expecting RFEs!
10/13/2011 (Day ***) Received RFE-- Requesting that I provide documentation to prove I was never married in Uk or Illin
02/11/2012 (Day ***) Service request..Told its being reviewed by supervisor

24th March 2012!!!!!!!!!!! Email notifiying me of CARD IN PRODUCTION
03/26/2012 (Day 376) Emails confirming that my I-130 and I-485 have been approved.

4/2/2012 Green Card In Hand!

Unbelievable that my journey took this long but Im thankful

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

3/24/2014 Application for conditions to be removed

9/22/2014 APPROVED without interview.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Why is it there are no military base on or near the border?
Laughlin Air Force Base near Del Rio, Texas.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The problem is there are not enough educated americans that can do the jobs that need education.

So why are we importing uneducated, unskilled and poor Mexicans?

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Unskilled is a matter of degree. Some of them are more skilled at what they can do than are American workers who would do the same thing. In general, too, I'd put any blue-collar Mexican or Latin American's work ethic up against that of any native-born Gringo, yes hombre. None of this is to support or excuse illegal immigration, no man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Those mexicans can not do those skilled jobs. The problem is that no americans can do those jobs either.

03/09/2011 AOS Application Sent.
03/11/2011 (Day 0) Application Received
03/16/2011 (Day 7) NOA 1 (Text Email)+ (Checks Cashed)
03/19/2011 (Day 10) Hard Copy of NOA 1
03/28/2011 (Day 19) Biometrics letter 4/8/2011
04/08/2011 (Day 30) Successful Biometrics for I-765/I-485
05/13/2011 (Day 65) EAD received in the mail
05/14/2011 (Day 66) Email confirming EAD approved (Case updated online TOUCH)
05/20/2011 (Day 72) SSN In the Mail.

09/08/2011 (Day 200 ) Email notification of Interview.
10/11/2011 Interview at 26 Federal Plaza, NY!
Interviewed and Am expecting RFEs!
10/13/2011 (Day ***) Received RFE-- Requesting that I provide documentation to prove I was never married in Uk or Illin
02/11/2012 (Day ***) Service request..Told its being reviewed by supervisor

24th March 2012!!!!!!!!!!! Email notifiying me of CARD IN PRODUCTION
03/26/2012 (Day 376) Emails confirming that my I-130 and I-485 have been approved.

4/2/2012 Green Card In Hand!

Unbelievable that my journey took this long but Im thankful

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

3/24/2014 Application for conditions to be removed

9/22/2014 APPROVED without interview.

Timeline

As the article states...the politicians aren't importing them...they just aren't stopping them from coming illegally and then don't have the balls to send them back. That is why we get what we got.

Filed: Timeline

Unskilled is a matter of degree. Some of them are more skilled at what they can do than are American workers who would do the same thing. In general, too, I'd put any blue-collar Mexican or Latin American's work ethic up against that of any native-born Gringo, yes hombre. None of this is to support or excuse illegal immigration, no man.

i'd take that bet on skills & work ethic. si man

7yqZWFL.jpg