ONA

Hire an interpreter

47 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Wedding ceremonies are very scripted.....you should be able to obtain (discuss with the priest/minister/official/judge) what is going to be said and have that translated prior. Then no live translator to "interfere with the moment" is needed.

That reminds me. At the church where we got married they had never had an American spouse before so it was a bit of an issue. Luckily there was a visiting priest that spoke some English and he agreed to officiate. He had to translate the official vows. Long story short the first time I saw the translation was during the wedding ceremony when they were handed to me. To be honest, I didn't know any of what was in store for me that day although everything was well planned out by my wife and MIL. They just told me what I needed to know as it happened and I followed along! lol It was a good thing because they are both very much into traditions and there were TONS of them...I never could have remembered it all. Also, I didn't have anything to be nervous about since I hadn't thought about screwing up or anything ahead of time. It was just an amazing day seeing all of what they had planned and all the traditions.

Just to clarify, our interpretor stood with my family during the ceremony to translate any Ukrainian and help them understand what was going on as well as toured the city with them prior to the wedding. At the reception we had a microphone and he translated both ways after each person spoke. It was a good thing all the way around. My father loves to tell jokes and broke the ice a lot. Many of them had never met an American before so they were interested to see what we were really like. It was pretty funny seeing my father dancing with some of the more frisky babushkas! Everybody had a blast. They were still partying when my wife and I called it quits around 3 AM.

Wife's visa journey:

03/19/07: Initial mailing of I-129F.

07/07/11: U.S. Citizenship approved and Oath Ceremony!

MIL's visa journey:

07/26/11: Initial mailing of I-130.

05/22/12: Interview passed!

our priest was bilingual and conducted the ceremony in both languages. are you sure your 'Father' cannot do the same? the only thing my family choked on was the part where he said that i must be submissive and obedient. we all knew better.

The whole thing is really a ####### shoot and it's pretty ridiculous that the visa officers have so much arbitrary power. My brother-in-law, who is 30, single, unemployed, with no property to his name managed to get a visa for the wedding with essentially no questions asked. He really had very little to lose by jumping ship. I can't even honestly figure out what I would have said if I had to argue that he had ties to Russia. But it was a quick interview with no hang-ups. The one thing that I can point to as being useful is travel history. By brother in law had been to the US once before and returned on schedule. He also had past Schengen visas.

My mother in law also got a visa for the wedding. She owns an apartment but doesn't have steady work. She doesn't speak English. She also has an extensive history of Schengen and UK visas so I think that helped out.

We didn't hire an interpreter because my brother in law translated for my mother in law.

This seems to be a pretty important point. My friend here in town is married to my wife's BFF. His MIL has been here to help with their new baby for about six months, and sailed through the visa process without a problem, apparently because she had a schengen visa within six months of her application.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

our priest was bilingual and conducted the ceremony in both languages. are you sure your 'Father' cannot do the same? the only thing my family choked on was the part where he said that i must be submissive and obedient. we all knew better.

thanks for the advice :) the point is that we want an interpreter not just for the ceremony, but also for the reception, because i don't want anything like this happen:

Also, because of the set up, the few Russian speaking guests were separated from the bride's family so we had to get up and walk across the hall to speak a little with them. I think they felt pretty isolated.

It will be a lot better if my parents are able to talk to anybody they want not depending on me.

Edited by ONA

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

the only thing my family choked on was the part where he said that i must be submissive and obedient. we all knew better.

What? A wife who's not submissive and obedient?

I think he's entitled to a refund. It should be in the contract somewhere.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

There's no refund or escape from American matrimonial "hell."

Just kidding...well maybe.

There's no refund or escape from American matrimonial "hell."

Just kidding...well maybe.

It's called moving abroad.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

He's looking in the wrong country. China is where he should import from. Plus the food is better.

Chinese women are submissive and obedient?

Aren't you the one always dropping the Chi-comm threat?

Русский форум член.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Aren't you the one always dropping the Chi-comm threat?

Well, the people aren't commies, their govt are.

He's already been scammed by a filipina, he's going to get eaten alive by a FSU chick. Maybe a Chinese MOB might be better. They won't have any siblings back home calling for $$$. 1 child policy n all :rofl:

Well, the people aren't commies, their govt are.

Because inside every foreigner there's an American just dying to get out.

He's already been scammed by a filipina, he's going to get eaten alive by a FSU chick. Maybe a Chinese MOB might be better. They won't have any siblings back home calling for $$$. 1 child policy n all :rofl:

FSU women don't scam their men. They simply stay married forever and bleed him dry. Attrition, really.

Русский форум член.

Timeline

Because inside every foreigner there's an American just dying to get out.

FSU women don't scam their men. They simply stay married forever and bleed him dry. Attrition, really.

:lol:

I have not heard so much about the FSU women wanting to send money home so much as I have from Phillipina's. Maybe I am wrong, just doesn't seem like it. Alla has no siblings, so what would I know?

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

:lol:

I have not heard so much about the FSU women wanting to send money home so much as I have from Phillipina's. Maybe I am wrong, just doesn't seem like it. Alla has no siblings, so what would I know?

I think it's pretty common to sponsor the whole family when you go the PI route. You might not realize it at first...

I don't think my wife has ever sent money home other than a birthday gift or something like that.

Русский форум член.

Timeline

I think it's pretty common to sponsor the whole family when you go the PI route. You might not realize it at first...

I don't think my wife has ever sent money home other than a birthday gift or something like that.

Gifts yes. Regular sending of money, no. Alla will collect gifts all year, particularly at after Christmas sales to bring to her friends in Ukraine

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.