Dave-n-Oksana

How difficult for Widowed MIL get Tourist Visa

32 posts in this topic

The question came up this week about bringing Oksana's 60+ year old mother to the States to visit after we buy our home and it got me thinking about if it will be possible. My Mother-in-law is a Pentioner and a widow, but owns her flat and has a daughter and granddaughter near her, plus many friends near her.

Any thoughts on the possibility?

Dave

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

The question came up this week about bringing Oksana's 60+ year old mother to the States to visit after we buy our home and it got me thinking about if it will be possible. My Mother-in-law is a Pentioner and a widow, but owns her flat and has a daughter and granddaughter near her, plus many friends near her.

Dave

http://travel.state....s/cis_1053.html

http://travel.state..../tips_1232.html

http://www.bidandesa.biz/ukraine-citizen-visiting-usa-what-are-customs-rules-regarding-medical-equipment-upon-return-to-ukraine.html

Edited by Barbara J

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Dave

It's definitely possible. My MIL travels here without much of an issue as far as visas. Her situation is actually quite similar. She's a pensioner with no stable work but is the head resident of the apartment where she lives and has family with her in Russia. She also has a history of Schengen visas and has always returned on time.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

A little bit more difficult in the Ukraine, that it would've been in Russia, but as far as I understand her other daughter and granddaughter are going to stay in the Ukraine? It's a good proof for having family ties with the Ukraine, so she should be fine. Plus she owns an apartment, which is also a good thing.

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

A little bit more difficult in the Ukraine, that it would've been in Russia, but as far as I understand her other daughter and granddaughter are going to stay in the Ukraine? It's a good proof for having family ties with the Ukraine, so she should be fine. Plus she owns an apartment, which is also a good thing.

Um...Ukraine, not "the Ukraine"

I understand, but have no experience, that older women on pensions have an easier time of getting a tourist visa. My MIL is on a pension but feels her health would prevent her from traveling, so it has not been an issue for us yet.

Property has never been much "proof of returning" it can be sold and the money wired. Family ties for an older woman may be considered pretty strong. The main thing seems to be that they are not concerned about her "doing a runner" and seeking employment in the USA.

Try your best.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

A history of travel and return, especially using a Shengen visa would be a big plus. At least this seemed to help my step daughter who lives in the Russia.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Timeline

A history of travel and return, especially using a Shengen visa would be a big plus. At least this seemed to help my step daughter who lives in the Russia.

:lol:

But true!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Um...Ukraine, not "the Ukraine"

:P Whatever. It may be old, but that's what they kept teaching us. The funniest thing, that in Russian language there is also a controversial issue (в Украине or на Украине - for those, who happen to be familiar with Russian).

Russia was never used with an article though, unless it is "the Russian Federation".

Timeline

:P Whatever. It may be old, but that's what they kept teaching us. The funniest thing, that in Russian language there is also a controversial issue (в Украине or на Украине - for those, who happen to be familiar with Russian).

Russia was never used with an article though, unless it is "the Russian Federation".

Offically, if there is such a thing, Ukraine was called "the Ukraine" while part of the Soviet Union. I do not know the details wahy and will not speculate. After independence, the government chose to "officially" drop the article and simply call it "Ukraine" Russia may or may not have followed along.

SOME Ukrainians get somewhat miffed if you call it "the Ukraine" as it would indicate they are "still not independent" Alla really doesn't care.

For me it is just one of those useless pet peeves which also irritate me when people refer to "Czechoslovakia" or "Yugoslavia" I also cannot count the times I have said that I was flying to Kiev and people said "Oh...really? You are going to Russia?" :bonk:

When Alla told one person she was from "Ukraine" they asked "Isn't it summer there now?" :lol:

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

The Ukraine=на Украине, the idea of Ukraine as a "region." на is used for islands, regions, and, of course, the post office. В has more of an idea as a separate country, which is why в Украине, while technically grammatically incorrect, is favored by nationalists/Orange Revolution Supporters/Ukrainians (I guess).

Первый блин комом.

Timeline

Offically, if there is such a thing, Ukraine was called "the Ukraine" while part of the Soviet Union. I do not know the details wahy and will not speculate. After independence, the government chose to "officially" drop the article and simply call it "Ukraine" Russia may or may not have followed along.

You do realise that English is not an official language in Russia, don't you?

And when people are taught that "the Ukraine" is an exception along with "the Netherlands", that's the way they are most likely be saying it. So, when you see a mistake you don't have to make fun of it, writing some stupid stuff like "the Russia" (I know that you didn't, just saying), you can just give an explanation. At least a person, who took an effort to learn your language and is still making an effort trying to improve it, deserves a little respect.

Timeline

The Ukraine=на Украине, the idea of Ukraine as a "region." на is used for islands, regions, and, of course, the post office. В has more of an idea as a separate country, which is why в Украине, while technically grammatically incorrect, is favored by nationalists/Orange Revolution Supporters/Ukrainians (I guess).

Exactly. In the Russian language both of the variants are considered to be correct at the moment.

And when people are taught that "the Ukraine" is an exception along with "the Netherlands", that's the way they are most likely be saying it. So, when you see a mistake you don't have to make fun of it, writing some stupid stuff like "the Russia" (I know that you didn't, just saying), you can just give an explanation. At least a person, who took an effort to learn your language and is still making an effort trying to improve it, deserves a little respect.

At least you didn't say the ultimate insult to a Ukrainian and call it... Malorossia.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Timeline

So it's stupid.... Sorry, but I do understand Russians don't understand American humor.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

a controversial issue (в Украине or на Украине - for those, who happen to be familiar with Russian).

The way I speak Russian is always controversial whether it's about the Ukraine or not.

Ukraine was called "the Ukraine" while part of the Soviet Union.

eekee pretty much nailed this one. For the most part, when areas are called "the" something, it's because they are (or were) part of something else. For instance, you can still holiday in "the" Crimea, right?

I also cannot count the times I have said that I was flying to Kiev and people said "Oh...really? You are going to Russia?" :bonk:

When Alla told one person she was from "Ukraine" they asked "Isn't it summer there now?" :lol:

We have some of those folks around here too. The folks who think Gatlinburg is an exotic destination. "Oooh. Y'all are going to Branson next year? Wow. You must be rich."

So it's stupid.... Sorry, but I do understand Russians don't understand American humor.

Explains why we both live in the doghouse several times a month.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.