bradcanuck

Moving back home in March, couple of questions for POE

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey guys and gals. I am moving back to BC in March. I have a couple of questions I was hoping someone may have some experience with. When I go through POE I want to know what I am dealing with so I can not be denied entry for some weird reason.

1. I am going to be driving with my mom. I will be driving my new Jeep which I have owned for a year and that is registered in California. If I tell them I am moving they are going to ask whos car it is, do I have import docs etc. I am not importing it I am just driving the car to my parents and keeping it there while I go overseas for 2 years, while keeping the car registered and insured in California. How can I "get around" this... any brilliant ideas? I can't import it into Canada because I owe so much money on it I can't pay it off and pay the taxes (just no way).

2. Last time I did this I wasn't prepared. I didn't have an inventory and no one seemed to care. Should I go through the trouble of an inventory "just in case"?

Basically what I was considering doing is telling them I am visiting - which is 100% true. BC is a pitstop until I fly over to England. But I guess they are just going to wonder why I am visiting with my cat and ALL of my stuff. LOL. Going through the USCIS process has made me paranoid and an over planner. I just want to drive up, drive to my parents and figure out my life and not have to deal with some gun slinger at Peace Arch.

Current Status
July, 2011 - US Citizen

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I would PM neiks, our trusty CDn POE dudette

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

I just replied to this but it didn't post for some reason.

Here it is again:

Sorry Brad, your out of luck. Your vehicle will have to be imported into Canada. It doesn't matter if you say your "just visiting" the point is that the vehicle is going to be left in Canada for a long period of time. There is no provision in the Canada Customs act for people to "store" their none imported belongings in Canada. Remember that you do have a $10,000 per item exemption as a returning resident to Canada. GST will be payable on the remaining value over $10,000.

Only way around this is to store the vehicle with someone in the US.

Sorry, but looks like your going to have to "deal with some gun slinger".

Timeline

Advising someone to follow a course of action that includes misrepresenting the facts in regards to an immigration/border crossing matter is a violation of the Terms of Service for Visa journey. One such post has been removed.

Neiks - who is an officer with the Canada Border Services - has given the correct information here. You can't get better information than that even if it isn't what you want to hear.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

ooops :blink: When I moved here three years ago I drove my car here (that I bought in Canada before I left). They didn't say anythin at the border probably because I entered on a P-1... Still I'm reading this and now I'm thinking I might run into some problems in a few years when I try to sell it... Is there anything I should do? Or jus drive it back to Canada whenever I wanna sell it? Is it really bad? I'm kinda worried now. I didn't mean to do anything illegal. :blush:

Timeline

ooops :blink: When I moved here three years ago I drove my car here (that I bought in Canada before I left). They didn't say anythin at the border probably because I entered on a P-1... Still I'm reading this and now I'm thinking I might run into some problems in a few years when I try to sell it... Is there anything I should do? Or jus drive it back to Canada whenever I wanna sell it? Is it really bad? I'm kinda worried now. I didn't mean to do anything illegal. :blush:

How did you register your car in the US without importing it? Car registration needs the import papers so does selling the car in the USA.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

How did you register your car in the US without importing it? Car registration needs the import papers so does selling the car in the USA.

All they asked for were my registration paper from Canada... N they recommend I keep them but I feel like they didn't know what they were doing....

Guess I'll just have to pay import taxes whenever someone realizes it's wrong... :bonk:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.