usgal

Turning Around

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all,

I'm not a troll, just posting anonymously.

My husband (Canadian citizen living in the US) has his green card with the 2 year conditions and we are living in the US. He's been unable to find work and the place we live is projected to have a bad economy for some time. Not that it is our only option, but I'm curious if anyone knows anything about his ability to immigrate me (USC) and my dependent (also USC) to Canada? Is it easy from outside the country?

I tried to find the help on the CIC website, but didn't find much about applying from outside the country and how that will be different, or how long it would take.

Happy Holidays, hope everyone is doing well.

:innocent:

*edited for bad grammar " my husband and I are married" LOL *

Edited by usgal

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Well Kittyfang, I mean usgal,--Just kidding--- http://www.roadtocanada.com/ has info, and im sure trailmix will come along shortly!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I was kidding!! Just making reference to the "troll" comment

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Anyhoo

According to their website, applications done outside of Canada currently take around 12 months link

Canadian immigration is very similar to American, the only real difference is you bundle all your stuff up and send it at one time. The U.S. persons still have to do the medical and get all the documents, police reports etc.

The Canadian citizen, while not having set guidelines to follow in terms of support, must prove that they are financially sound enough to support the new immigrants.

You would submit your application to the Buffalo Consulate. The U.S. citizen(s) may have to travel for the interview, there are only 4 places where they are held in the U.S.

Seattle, Detroit, Los Angeles, New York

Depending on your situation, it might be easier to for you to do an application in Canada.

Timeline
Anyhoo

According to their website, applications done outside of Canada currently take around 12 months link

Canadian immigration is very similar to American, the only real difference is you bundle all your stuff up and send it at one time. The U.S. persons still have to do the medical and get all the documents, police reports etc.

The Canadian citizen, while not having set guidelines to follow in terms of support, must prove that they are financially sound enough to support the new immigrants.

You would submit your application to the Buffalo Consulate. The U.S. citizen(s) may have to travel for the interview, there are only 4 places where they are held in the U.S.

Seattle, Detroit, Los Angeles, New York

Depending on your situation, it might be easier to for you to do an application in Canada.

Thanks. If I apply in Canada, that means I can't work until PR is approved, right? I suppose it would take less time for approval in that situation?

Timeline

Actually they say it takes longer - that outland applications are faster.

If applying from inside Canada you can apply for a work permit while waiting for the application to process. I don't know how long it generally takes to have the work permit approved.

Timeline
Actually they say it takes longer - that outland applications are faster.

If applying from inside Canada you can apply for a work permit while waiting for the application to process. I don't know how long it generally takes to have the work permit approved.

Awesome, thanks so much for the information TrailMix & everyone :-)

Timeline

Just one other thing I will throw out there for you to consider. If you are importing a U.S. vehicle in to Canada, it's not as easy as doing it the other way around. You may have to pay duty on the vehicle, you may not - they say you have to - we did not.

If the vehicle does not have auto daytime running lights, you will have to modify it so it does (some vehicles already have the module installed, it's just a matter of modifying it). Then you have to have a federal inspection done at Canadian tire - this is included in the RIV fee you pay up front. Then (at least in Alberta) you have to have a provincial inspection. Any little thing that is wrong you must have fixed. Our wiper blades didn't sit quite right - we had to have them fixed.

You also have to notify U.S. customs 72 hours before you export it and fax paperwork to your POE (if you are driving up).

Anyway, all the info is here - just thought I would mention it as it is another cost associated with relocating back to Canada, to consider.

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

As someone who did an inland application - you cannot apply for a work permit until you receive first stage approval from CIC. I included the application in my initial PR application but specified that they NOT process it until first stage approval was done. The nice thing about CIC - they actually read your cover letters!

My application took 14 months to process. Filed June/06, landed Aug/07. There is no "interview" with an inland application - all you do is you go in to CIC's office, they ask you if you have been convicted of any crimes since the application, and then they give you your papers. That's about it.

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Anyhoo

They may say they take that long, but mine took only 3 months (applied July 09, visa in hand early Oct 09). And many I talked with through the immigration.ca forum who were immigrating from the US had similarly short timelines.

Outland is typically much faster than inland. I definitely recommend that route. Also, I had no interview either. It was surprisingly easy compared to US immigration.

Edited by rae_and_scott

K1

------------------------------------

07.12.07 - I-129f petition mailed

07.13.07 - I-129f received by VSC

07.18.07 - NOA1 notice

07.20.07 - check cashed

07.22.07 - touch

11.29.07 - NOA2, waited 140 days

11.30.07 - touch

12.03.07 - NVC Received

12.05.07 - NVC Left

12.10.07 - Consulate Rec'd

12.13.07 - Packet 3 Rec'd

03.13.08 - Packet 3 sent back to Montreal

04.08.08 - eligible for interview

05.13.08 - Packet 4 Rec'd

06.02.08 - Interview!

06.09.08 - Visa in hand!

06.16.08 - move date, POE via Peace Bridge, Buffalo, NY

06.20.08 - civil wedding

AOS

06.25.08 - AOS package sent

06.30.08 - received in Chicago

07.07.08 - NOA1 for 485 (AOS), 765 (EAD), & 131 (AP), rec'd in mail 07.14.08

07.09.08 - touch on all 3

07.10.08 - check cashed

07.28.08 - case transferred to CSC

08.02.08 - Biometrics

08.03.08 - touch on AOS

08.04.08 - touch on AOS & EAD

08.05.08 - touch on EAD

08.06.08, 08.07.08, 08.21.08, 08.22.08 - touch on AOS

09.03.08 - EAD approved!

09.04.08 - touch on EAD

09.05.08 - EAD card arrives in mail

09.06.08 - AP arrives in mail (no updates online or via email)

09.23.08 - touch on AOS

09.24.08 - welcome letter mailed

09.25.08 - touch on AOS

09.30.08 - AOS approved

10.01.08 - touch on AOS

10.04.08 - Green Card received

02.21.09 - "real" wedding in Montreal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.