falcondrgn

Dual Citizenship Help

33 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

I have a dual citizenship from america and taiwan. I left america to take care of my parents who live in taiwan 4 yrs ago and have lived in taiwan since. My question is

I left america with my taiwan passport 4 years ago and I want to come back to america now.

Which passport should i use to leave taiwan and enter america?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

US citizen passport needs to be used to enter the US again.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

A US citizen is always supposed to use his/her US passport to enter the USA.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

But there was never any record of me leaving america with my america passport? Wont customs say i never left america? where was i for the last 4 yrs?

Nope, this wont be an issue. US Customs does not record your exit from the USA.

For example I can drive into Canada, no stopping for US POE.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

They might not record it but problem is there is no stamp of me leaving america on my american passport. Im sure they visually look for the departure stamp.

Nope, this wont be an issue. US Customs does not record your exit from the USA.

For example I can drive into Canada, no stopping for US POE.

What im concerned about is since they dont record me leaving america, the country Im traveling to suppose to stamp my passport saying I went to their country but I am missing that stamp. Wouldnt this pose a problem?

They might not record it but problem is there is no stamp of me leaving america on my american passport. Im sure they visually look for the departure stamp.

Timeline

In all the times I have traveled to China and back there has never been a departure stamp in passport, the USA does not require US citizens to go through an exit control.

One time I boarded flight from home to Chicago, my domestic flight arrived one gate over from the international flight, notthing was done at the airport other than my getting off one plane and boarding the next.

Again do not worry about this, and have a safe flight to the USA.

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Thank you for your help!

But the problem is I didnt get a stamp entering taiwan. Wouldn't I need a stamp that shows I entered into another country? Or does america not care about that?

In all the times I have traveled to China and back there has never been a departure stamp in passport, the USA does not require US citizens to go through an exit control.

One time I boarded flight from home to Chicago, my domestic flight arrived one gate over from the international flight, notthing was done at the airport other than my getting off one plane and boarding the next.

Again do not worry about this, and have a safe flight to the USA.

Hi,

I have a dual citizenship from america and taiwan. I left america to take care of my parents who live in taiwan 4 yrs ago and have lived in taiwan since. My question is

I left america with my taiwan passport 4 years ago and I want to come back to america now.

Which passport should i use to leave taiwan and enter america?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Do you mind me asking of why you used your taiwan pp to leave the usa?

Once you become a usc, you are required to use your us pp on exit and entre.....you be fine now to entre on your us pp, but remember that in the future.

Good luck and welcome back :thumbs:

Timeline

Thank you for your help!

But the problem is I didnt get a stamp entering taiwan. Wouldn't I need a stamp that shows I entered into another country? Or does america not care about that?

Only issue I see is if Taiwan is anything like mainland China, the exit officer in Taiwan may want to see a visa and/or entry stamp in US passport. Mainland China takes a very dim view when seeing no visa or entry stamp, and residency permits in the US passport. The system in the mainland is set up to make it difficult if not impossible to attempt to maintain dual citizenship.

Again I am not sure if Taiwan behaves the same way. The issue is not entry/exit of the USA, it is entry/exit of the foreign country.

Timeline

Only issue I see is if Taiwan is anything like mainland China, the exit officer in Taiwan may want to see a visa and/or entry stamp in US passport. Mainland China takes a very dim view when seeing no visa or entry stamp, and residency permits in the US passport. The system in the mainland is set up to make it difficult if not impossible to attempt to maintain dual citizenship.

Again I am not sure if Taiwan behaves the same way. The issue is not entry/exit of the USA, it is entry/exit of the foreign country.

I've traveled numerous times without getting a stamp in my passport at all - actually, it seems like most of the time I haven't. It's never even remotely been an issue. Just use your US passport, answer the border control officer's questions, and go on your way. You're stressing out about nothing. Good luck.

AOS (from tourist w/overstay)

1/26/10 - NOA

5/04/10 - interview appt - approved

ROC

2/06/12 - NOA date

7/31/12 - card production ordered

N-400

2/08/13 - NOA date

3/05/13 - biometrics appt

6/18/13 - interview - passed!

7/18/13 - oath ceremony

Timeline

Thank you for your help!

So? people going to and from Canada NEVER get stamps either. Does not matter if you fly or drive. No stamps enter or exit on any Canadian or US passport. if they do stamp you its a really off chance. In all my 20+ trips to and from the USA with my Canadian passport I have only ever gotten 2 stamps. My husband has never gotten a single stamp on any of his US passports for traveling ANYWHERE. Caribbean, Canada, USA, Europe etc.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Taiwan recognizes dual citizenship. and if u have 2 passports leaving taiwan they stamp both passports. I left america with my taiwan passport because with a US passport I cant stay in taiwan for more than 30 days.

Timeline

Taiwan recognizes dual citizenship. and if u have 2 passports leaving taiwan they stamp both passports. I left america with my taiwan passport because with a US passport I cant stay in taiwan for more than 30 days.

Then you should be A-OK to return to the states.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.