Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Working with K1 visa and during AOS

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

No, you cannot work with your K-1 visa at all. Your Social Security card does not give authorization to work.

After you get married, you will apply for Adjustment of Status (AOS) and as a part of that package you will apply for a temporary work permission, called EAD (Employment Authorization Document). The EAD takes around 3 months, maybe less, and once you get your GC, you don't need the EAD anymore. The GC gives you authorization to work.

You may have read that K-1 is work authorized, and it is not. Technically, you may apply for work authorization (an EAD) based on your K-1 visa, but it will expire when your I-94 does. Since your I-94 will be valid for 3 months, and the EAD takes about 3 months to process, you might get your K-1 EAD a few days before it expires. In other words, it's basically useless.

So enter on K-1, get SSN, get married, apply for AOS with an EAD, and once you get that EAD you can work. The EAD you get based on pending AOS is good for a year, and you will get your GC before then. Don't plan on working before marriage at all, and for about 3 months after you apply for AOS.

Good luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Please tell me if I understood everything :

- I can work with my K1 visa as soon as I have a Social Security Card.

- As soon as I'm getting married, I can't work until I have my Green Card and so I have to wait for at less 3 months.

Is that correct ?


1. You can NOT work with ur K1 visa--it's not for employment . Even if u have ur SS card u will still be given the "NON-AUTHORIZED TO WORK" type of SS card which means u can NOT work.

The only way u can legally work here is if u have the EAD or the Employment Authorization Card if u apply for it or wait till u get ur green card which will allow u to work.

It's not 3 months my dear. After u get married it depends on how long u gonna Adjust your status then u will figure out when to get ur green card and when u can work.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...