FormerlyKnownAs

Leaving for Cairo in 3 days

43 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

So I'm supposed to be leaving to go to Cairo Thursday and I'm wondering if I could gather some thoughts. Opinions on whether you'd make the trip yourself this week given the recent events, etc.

Thanks all.

Passing harsh judgment on those you don't know says nothing of the judged and everything of the judge.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I would postpone and give it a few months to calm down. Not that there would be any danger just for the overall enjoyment factor of spending time with your man.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Salam alaikom..

at first let me answer yr subtitle question.. Nope you are not Crazy

secondly ,, everything now is going back to the right way regularly

so you wont find major changes than yr last visit except more spirit up of the egyptians

anyway the weather getting cold at night and i guess that the prices for the tourists such as hotels .. etc wont be a high price cuz there is no kinda much tourists now so they would reduce the prices to do attraction but this is just a guess ,,

hope you safe flight and happy stay at Egypt with yr hubby

take care and welcome to Egypt

huda.jpg

tvquran_16.gif

My Visajourney

Our Marriage: (2008)

Date I-130 Sent : ( 2009-10-14)

Your item was delivered at 9:38 PM on October 18, 2009 in CHICAGO, IL 60680. USPS

The Money order money cashed at last on October 26, 2009 ... Waiting the NOA1

Date I-130 NOA1 (Receipt) : (2009-11-2) Dated in 23 Oct

Touched 27 Oct 2009 and 11,12 Feb 2010

Date I-130 NOA2 (Approved) : (2010-02-12) 4 Months From sending date !!

♥NVC JOURNEY♥

02-19-2010 : NVC case number assigned

04-07-2010 : Sent DS-3032 by E-mail

04-10-2010 : DS-3032 Accepted

04-14-2010 : Paid (AOS) Online

04-16-2010 : (AOS) shown as PAID

09-10-2010 : IV bill shows as PAID

08-03-2010: (AOS) packet completed and returned

08-23-2010 : NVC Received Completed (AOS)

09-20-2010 : DS-203 Completed and returned

09-23-2010 : NVC Received Completed DS-230

09-24-2010 : (AOS) accepted Per operator

09-28-2010 : DS-230 Entered Into System( and they also send checklist about sponsor :S )

10-15-2010 : DS-230 Completed with Checklist Also :S

01-11/14-2011 : Mailed /Delivered wt missing in both packets

02-01-2011 : SIF!!

02-03-2011 : Case Complete!

3rd Aug2011: Interview Date (AP Alhumdolillah ,,)

12 OCT2011 : Visa In Hand AP is over after 2 months from interview date

NOV2011 : POE

I would wait atleast a month or more to make sure everything has calmed down in Egypt given all the reason events. Given the president has left office things will probably more peaceful now but you never now what's next things are not yet stable there. Once my fiance is here are we are going married. But I would love nothing more then to go visit his mother and his rest of his family in Tunisia but because of the current activity there I will wait a few months.

Timeline

Hi, I seen your post and wanted to give my opinion as I am an American wife here in Cairo with my husband. I have been here since January 11th, and obviously here from the beginning of th revolution. I had the option to leave with the evacuations, even I was supposed to leave the beginning of february, but I am still here. I am still here because I wanted to share this time with my husband and his family and friends as a new dawn breaks in Cairo. It is true that while Mubarak was still in office we could not go out and do anything, everything was closed early and the curfew was going on. To be honest I dont care that I couldnt go running to see the pyramids or go do touristy things, I am here to be with my husband. Now things are calming down sooo much and life is resuming. Even we have been out to dinner and when Mubarak stepped down we even webt to Tahir square to dance and celebrate with the people, we took so many videos and pics to mark this moment in history.For the rest of our lives we will have this memory of sharing this together. So my advice, come on sister and enjoy this time here!!!! :dance: Really it is such a beautiful time to be here and to share with your love! A time neither of you will ever forget! If while your here you need a fellow American to talk to or meet for coffee or tea please feel free to leave me a note! Best wishes, and have a safe journey!

Amber

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

If you're going to just spend time with your husband and aren't planning on doing too many touristy things then go for it. I don't think it's crazy.

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Timeline

Rest assured, you are not crazy...I myself would go right now if I didn't have to provide 2 weeks notice for schedule changes to my employer, so I will be heading over March 4th...As Amber and Mithra have stated, I would just avoid the touristy places and go simply for the time to spend with your fiance..You will still be able to go out and enjoy yourself for dinner or walks...Although there is still much that needs to be sorted out over there, this is an amazing time to go and experience the atmosphere and celebratory mood...just remain aware of your surroundings and situations as you would anyway and enjoy your time together, it is sooooo important and make sure you document it well...believe me, it can't hurt for future purposes...The American school I worked at over there evacuated during the protests and they resumed school last week and in full effect tomorrow, all the foreign staff have returned..my husband is now going home again everyday and back to his second job which is with an American company that also temporarily shut down so life is returning to "normal" and now is when they need people to start coming back..I suspect you will have a great time visiting your guy and can't wait to hear about your trip on your return...

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi, I seen your post and wanted to give my opinion as I am an American wife here in Cairo with my husband. I have been here since January 11th, and obviously here from the beginning of th revolution. I had the option to leave with the evacuations, even I was supposed to leave the beginning of february, but I am still here. I am still here because I wanted to share this time with my husband and his family and friends as a new dawn breaks in Cairo. It is true that while Mubarak was still in office we could not go out and do anything, everything was closed early and the curfew was going on. To be honest I dont care that I couldnt go running to see the pyramids or go do touristy things, I am here to be with my husband. Now things are calming down sooo much and life is resuming. Even we have been out to dinner and when Mubarak stepped down we even webt to Tahir square to dance and celebrate with the people, we took so many videos and pics to mark this moment in history.For the rest of our lives we will have this memory of sharing this together. So my advice, come on sister and enjoy this time here!!!! :dance: Really it is such a beautiful time to be here and to share with your love! A time neither of you will ever forget! If while your here you need a fellow American to talk to or meet for coffee or tea please feel free to leave me a note! Best wishes, and have a safe journey!

Amber

Amber, that sounds amazing.

Filed: Other Country: Egypt
Timeline

Depends. I am blonde hair, blue eyes and white. For me, right now I would not go. When I went to Egypt in the past I did not feel scared AT ALL. But right now with anti-American sentiment up and things not completely organized, I would not want to stand out as "obviously American".

Betsy El Sum

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Is there anti-Swedish sentiment too? blond hair and blue eyes could be over 50% of Europe and north america... there's anti american sentiment anywhere - i think basing travel plans on eye and hair color is a little silly. I doubt highly you would be assaulted for your hair and eye color. Would I go to Egypt right now - yea I would give it a shot - but make sure you have a good plan in case things do go awry and be sure to register with the american embassy.

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Timeline

Still waiting on official word of approval from the fiance on whether he is going to be okay with my visit, but things look pretty good so far. He's concerned, of course, but things do seem to be settling down a good bit. I'll be staying in a very nice part of town where things seem to be very quiet, so it should be fine. I'll let you all know how it goes!

Passing harsh judgment on those you don't know says nothing of the judged and everything of the judge.

Timeline

I have to be honest here and say that I am somewhat concerned about the mass demonstrations planned for Friday. The military has already asked the protesters to allow the country to get back to work and I fear a crackdown after the forceful removal of media film crews from the square yesterday. I hope I'm worrying over nothing, but only time will tell. It will be too late to turn back if I decide to go anyway, so I'll have to just think on it some more and hope things are just s peaceful as they've been in the past few weeks.

Filed: Timeline

I was a little worried about this too. I have planned vacation time for feb 28 the same day the travel band is set to expire. But i had heard ppl being turned down at the airports and that paris airports was not flying into cario. So those are things i planned on checking today. I do not want to buy a ticket , lets say that will have a stop in paris and they say no. I think that is the biggest obstacle for us americans right now. What countries are flying into Egypt. I am not even sure Delta is flying to Cario now. I need to do a little research.

Amber

That is great news :dance:

Rest assured, you are not crazy...I myself would go right now if I didn't have to provide 2 weeks notice for schedule changes to my employer, so I will be heading over March 4th...As Amber and Mithra have stated, I would just avoid the touristy places and go simply for the time to spend with your fiance..You will still be able to go out and enjoy yourself for dinner or walks...Although there is still much that needs to be sorted out over there, this is an amazing time to go and experience the atmosphere and celebratory mood...just remain aware of your surroundings and situations as you would anyway and enjoy your time together, it is sooooo important and make sure you document it well...believe me, it can't hurt for future purposes...The American school I worked at over there evacuated during the protests and they resumed school last week and in full effect tomorrow, all the foreign staff have returned..my husband is now going home again everyday and back to his second job which is with an American company that also temporarily shut down so life is returning to "normal" and now is when they need people to start coming back..I suspect you will have a great time visiting your guy and can't wait to hear about your trip on your return...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.