VudoMenudo

Little Emergency

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hallo,

My I-129F petion was approved on 2/7/11. I just happen to call nvc today to see if my case # for the hcmc consulate has been assigned. They say that the petitioner (my name) name is not correct on file. I told them my name again and they say there is a different name on their file for the petitioner name and therefore, they cannot tell me what the HCM case # is. They also cannot change the petitioner name because the case has already been forwarded to the HCMC consulate. I am worried because I don't know how to change the name to the correct name, which is my name. What can I do :help:

Sent the I-129F petition to USCIS on Aug 20, 2010

I-129F Approved!!! Feb 7, 2011

Returned P3 to Consulate Mar 7, 2011

Interview Date May 20, 2011

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hallo,

My I-129F petion was approved on 2/7/11. I just happen to call nvc today to see if my case # for the hcmc consulate has been assigned. They say that the petitioner (my name) name is not correct on file. I told them my name again and they say there is a different name on their file for the petitioner name and therefore, they cannot tell me what the HCM case # is. They also cannot change the petitioner name because the case has already been forwarded to the HCMC consulate. I am worried because I don't know how to change the name to the correct name, which is my name. What can I do :help:

You will not want to hear this, but if what they said is correct, then there is really nothing you can do, the only recourse you would have is to refile again, and have a lawyer try to get your filing fee transfered since it was their mistake, but this process will have to start all over again from scratch. Besides, going through HCMC is tough enough as it is, I would not want to make changes to something that serious and try to have my fiancee explain it was a mistake made by them.

Now you can wait until she gets the notice, and from there you can see what the real mistake is, it might not be serious, or it might be, if you are lucky it might just be a typo, if not lucky it could say steve or jason when your name is tom or bob

Jerome

Edited by jeromebinh

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Hallo,

U should have notified USCIS that anything that needed to be changed on the petition asap. Call them or NVC

Timeline

Hallo,

It's possible that the petitioner's name was incorrectly entered into the NVC computer when they received the petition. If they already sent the petition to the consulate then they couldn't change the name in the computer because they'd need the petition to verify the name.

You will normally receive a letter from NVC stating that they received the petition and forwarded it to the consulate. The letter will include the DoS case number. If they only entered the wrong name but not the wrong address then you should still receive this letter. The name the letter is addressed to will show what name they entered for the petitioner. If you receive this letter then you can contact the consulate and ask that they correct the DoS computer record.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

It's possible that the petitioner's name was incorrectly entered into the NVC computer when they received the petition. If they already sent the petition to the consulate then they couldn't change the name in the computer because they'd need the petition to verify the name.

You will normally receive a letter from NVC stating that they received the petition and forwarded it to the consulate. The letter will include the DoS case number. If they only entered the wrong name but not the wrong address then you should still receive this letter. The name the letter is addressed to will show what name they entered for the petitioner. If you receive this letter then you can contact the consulate and ask that they correct the DoS computer record.

Yes Jim that is correct. The NVC tells me that my name is only incorrect in their computer system. My name is correct on the I-797C and it is also correct on the I-129F paper I submitted. Are you sure this will work? I am still a little nervous. Thanks Jimm

Sent the I-129F petition to USCIS on Aug 20, 2010

I-129F Approved!!! Feb 7, 2011

Returned P3 to Consulate Mar 7, 2011

Interview Date May 20, 2011

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hmmm, not sure. Perhaps you can call customer service again at NVC for direction on this. Hopefully someone here at VJ can help you, that's what were here for. Sorry I wasn't much help.

02iqn7wnr.png

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Yes Jim that is correct. The NVC tells me that my name is only incorrect in their computer system. My name is correct on the I-797C and it is also correct on the I-129F paper I submitted. Are you sure this will work? I am still a little nervous. Thanks Jimm

If your name is correct on everything accept the computer they will be able to fix it once it is in HCMC. This woudl be considered their error if everything you sent in had your correct name on it, thus they would be obligated to fix it and it shouldnt cause you any troubles even in HCMC. Good luck Jerome and BInh

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Timeline

That explains why you were given the runaround by the CSR at NVC. The only thing they have is the computer record. The petition has already been sent to the consulate, so they can't verify whether the information in the computer record is correct or incorrect. They have to assume the computer record is correct.

The mistake will be obvious to the consulate, if you can draw their attention to the fact. Getting their attention can be difficult, though. They'll completely ignore you if you don't have a case number. They DO have the ability to correct the computer record. The consulate uses the same DoS computer system that NVC uses. This is why you can call NVC to determine when an interview has been scheduled.

When you get the letter you should start by trying to send an email to the consulate. Use a subject line like "NVC Name Error". Include the case number, your name and birth date, and your fiancee's name and birth date. Then explain the problem and ask for it to be corrected. Allow a few weeks to get anything beyond an automated response from them. In fact, expect this to take a little longer than a normal email correspondence with the consulate because they can't simply look up your case in the computer in order to write a response to you. They actually have to find your petition to verify the error and correct it. Hopefully, you can get this fixed with an email alone.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

1st check all your paperwork to make sure you did not make any errors.

2nd Check your NOA2 and verify all the information is correct.

If all that is correct then it would be apparent that they made an error. You could then contact them (NVC) with the NOA2 information and verify that what they received is correct.

When you call the NVC they should request your name, DOB and case number and the name and DOB of your beneficiary as verification.

Did they request that info when you called?

It appears that someone made a boo boo. Getting their errors corrected can prove to be a challenge.

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Duplicate threads - one in the Vietnam Regional Forum and the other in the K-1 Forum - have been moved here to the US Embassy and Consulate Discussion forum and merged into one thread so all of the information is located in the same location. Duplicate post has been removed

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.