Tash

Question about Tax Filing

19 posts in this topic

I have a friend who's Wife is about to send off her application for Citizenship. However out of the 3 yrs of Tax Papers one year they both filed Single even though they were married. Will this affect her process of approval/denial for Citizenship? She said the person who did her taxes that way said it wouldn't effect her as they only want to see that she filed her taxes.

I told her that doesn't seem right. Anyone know what will or could happen?

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hi, It's really a tight situation, first of all there's something called, sorry to say it "LIE" because both of them are not Singles. and they are married couple.

Well, if u said they are about ready to file for her citizenship and they didnt file yet, and they dint file for 2010 Tax. then File for 2010 tax and add it with the other 2 years Taxes. the one who mentioned on it they are married. if not 2010 was already filed.

Sorry but lie it could be serious. Yes she pay her taxes on time . which is good, but to write on her taxes she is single, and she is married that is a different story.

Please wait for better answer.

Edited by Sand

بســــم اللـــــه الــــرحمـن الــــرحــــيم

My N-400 timeline, I hope it will help - Local Office (Chula Vista Field Office - San Diego)

10/01/2010: Application was sent.

10/04/2010: Application was received.

10/06/2010: Email received "Application has been received" & Noticed Date.

10/07/2010: "Touch"

10/08/2010: "Touch" & Check was Cashed

10/09/2010: NOA1 Received via mail.

10/22/2010: Status Changed Online "Request for evidence" It was for Biometrics.

10/25/2010: Request for evidence recieved "Biometrics Notice".

11/18/2010: Biometrics date ==> 11:00AM. Biometrics was taken On time.

12/03/2010: "Yellow Letter" Received.

12/06/2010: "Touch" Case Moved to "Testing and Interview".

12/08/2010: Interview Letter received via mail.

01/13/2011: Interview Date. Done, " Thanks To ALLAH, I Passed the Test.

01/18/2011: Oath Letter was Sent.

01/20/2011: Oath Letter Recieved via mail.

01/28/2011: Oath Date. ==> Done, I am a U.S. Citizen

01/31/2011: Applied for a U.S. Passport Book, And, U.S. Passport Card.

02/25/2011: Passport Book's Received.

02/26/2011: Passport Card's Received.

02/28/2011: Certificate Of Naturalization's Returned.

Game Over.

Filed: Timeline

I have a friend who's Wife is about to send off her application for Citizenship. However out of the 3 yrs of Tax Papers one year they both filed Single even though they were married. Will this affect her process of approval/denial for Citizenship? She said the person who did her taxes that way said it wouldn't effect her as they only want to see that she filed her taxes.

I told her that doesn't seem right. Anyone know what will or could happen?

Thanks

Do you mean they filed, "Married, filing separately", not filed "Single"?

If so, that should not be a problem. The easy tell, is that each spouse's ITN/SSN is listed on both the husband and wife's separate returns.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

lets hope it was married filing separate.

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Well I guess they will just have to send what they have and hope all goes well on their end or delay the process to show all 3 consecutive tax papers shows married.

Thanks for the advice.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Well I guess they will just have to send what they have and hope all goes well on their end or delay the process to show all 3 consecutive tax papers shows married.

Thanks for the advice.

Going to leave all of hanging as to whether she filed singly or separately? A huge difference, not only for the USCIS, but the IRS as well. But not as bad as a couple that came here sometime back where both filed head of household. That is really when you pay the lowest amount of taxes, but they claimed they were also advised to do so, but never said from whom.

Talking about taxes, looking at huge pile on my desk, should be doing that instead of typing this, but I know I am going to get a migraine headache once I start. Was never told to use a double negative in a sentence, they use triple and quadruple negatives. Very good at math, and can normally put a word problem into an equation to optimized the results on a worksheet, but my brain gets so twisted up with the language, just about ready to crack up.

What this country needs is a major taxpayers revolt. Not even a booklet this year, have to download everything off the net. Anything in their power to make it as miserable as possible.

Arrr the dreaded IRS taxes :whistle:

USCIS is very, very fussy when coming to the table with joint taxes ( N-400 3yr rule)

Make sure you filed taxes for last 3 yrs married..simple as that..

If you have'nt then you can go to ya local uncle sams and adjust that year if need be..

It won't cost you and you wont be put in jail...

once that is done you will have something to show at interveiw if ask....

cover your #### before Interveiw day....

Good Luck :thumbs:

P.S...there is a search button on the forum ...search for key word on your subject, there you find a shed load of info about your post..

Hi I just had a couple questions regarding taxes. Hoping for assistance. My partner and I aren't married yet, but these question did come up during our conversations:-

(1) What are the tax ramifications associated with me living in the USA, becoming a LPR (through marriage) and maintaining my properties here at home (Cayman Islands)?;

(2) What liabilities if any; will I inherit by marrying my partner (he doesn't want me to become liable for his debts)?;

(3) Is it acceptable to apply for a SSN number during the K3/IR1/CR1 process or apply for a ITIN (W7 form)?;

(4) How should taxed be filed...jointly, separately and at what time?.

Assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Our Timeline:-

10Dec10: Met online and began communicating

27Jan11: Dee to USA (our 1st visit). Became Official as a couple.

19Feb11: Dee to USA (Mike's Vday surprise gift)

14Mar11: Mike to Cayman (surprise visit)

21Apr11: Dee to USA

19May11: Mike to Cayman

20May11: MARRIED!!

Timeline

Hi I just had a couple questions regarding taxes. Hoping for assistance. My partner and I aren't married yet, but these question did come up during our conversations:-

(1) What are the tax ramifications associated with me living in the USA, becoming a LPR (through marriage) and maintaining my properties here at home (Cayman Islands)?;

(2) What liabilities if any; will I inherit by marrying my partner (he doesn't want me to become liable for his debts)?;

(3) Is it acceptable to apply for a SSN number during the K3/IR1/CR1 process or apply for a ITIN (W7 form)?;

(4) How should taxed be filed...jointly, separately and at what time?.

Assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

How you file your taxes when married, either joint or separately makes no difference in inheriting your spouses debts. Either directly or indirectly, indirectly by using your household income to pay off debts instead of wasteful spending on such things as food, clothing, or shelter. Directly if dealing with collection agencies will go after anyone with a dime in their pocket.

Even though I was legally separated from my ex that stated explicitly that I from that day was no longer liable for my wifes' debts, her collection agencies took me to court with a little known state statue that as my wife, yet not legally divorced yet, I was liable, court even refused to look at my legal separation court document. I tried my best to appeal this decision by contacting a number attorneys, best answer I got was to pay her debts as the court cost would be just as expensive if not more. And wasn't even aware of these debts until after our divorce was final. And since our divorce dragged on for a couple years, quite a battle on full physical child custody, I won that, but ex managed to run up debts in the five figure range. Can't tell you how teed off I was about this.

You seem to be a key target owning property, but while we claim to be a single country, have 50 sets of state laws that govern this, I would definitely contact a good family law attorney to learn what you are in for. Do you really want to marry a guy that goes into debt? Really can't be the judge of that, love is also strange, but from experience, that love doesn't last if you have a spouse where you are spending all your time working your can off while that spouse is blowing it.

My present wife had an ex like that, we started off with a mutual support conference, that led into a deep platonic relationship, that ended up in a very strong physical attraction, that ended up in marriage. We have been very happy and managed to build up quite a nest egg. Ha, the only problems we have is with the USCIS and maintaining dual citizenship for her, so she can visit her mom.

Only thing I know about an SS card, you need either a conditional green card or an EAD card to get one.

Hi NickD,

I guess I should have been more clearer on my questions specifically #2. My partner went through (1) a nasty divorce (became final June 2010) from his ex wife and Im assuming there are some legal costs that either is or still ongoing; and (2) going through a nasty split now from another ex (about a year now) who's constantly looking childsupport hence the questions.

FYI - Im not a US citizen or LPR as yet because we're not married. I'm from the Cayman Islands (caribbean) and we don't have such issues as direct taxes etc., so the questions posed are things that we've talked about over the last few weeks. I do have property here at home that I have acquired on my own in my current legal name sowe just wanted an idea of how it would affect me/us going forward.

I appreciate your comments and look forward to your reply.

How you file your taxes when married, either joint or separately makes no difference in inheriting your spouses debts. Either directly or indirectly, indirectly by using your household income to pay off debts instead of wasteful spending on such things as food, clothing, or shelter. Directly if dealing with collection agencies will go after anyone with a dime in their pocket.

Even though I was legally separated from my ex that stated explicitly that I from that day was no longer liable for my wifes' debts, her collection agencies took me to court with a little known state statue that as my wife, yet not legally divorced yet, I was liable, court even refused to look at my legal separation court document. I tried my best to appeal this decision by contacting a number attorneys, best answer I got was to pay her debts as the court cost would be just as expensive if not more. And wasn't even aware of these debts until after our divorce was final. And since our divorce dragged on for a couple years, quite a battle on full physical child custody, I won that, but ex managed to run up debts in the five figure range. Can't tell you how teed off I was about this.

You seem to be a key target owning property, but while we claim to be a single country, have 50 sets of state laws that govern this, I would definitely contact a good family law attorney to learn what you are in for. Do you really want to marry a guy that goes into debt? Really can't be the judge of that, love is also strange, but from experience, that love doesn't last if you have a spouse where you are spending all your time working your can off while that spouse is blowing it.

My present wife had an ex like that, we started off with a mutual support conference, that led into a deep platonic relationship, that ended up in a very strong physical attraction, that ended up in marriage. We have been very happy and managed to build up quite a nest egg. Ha, the only problems we have is with the USCIS and maintaining dual citizenship for her, so she can visit her mom.

Only thing I know about an SS card, you need either a conditional green card or an EAD card to get one.

Our Timeline:-

10Dec10: Met online and began communicating

27Jan11: Dee to USA (our 1st visit). Became Official as a couple.

19Feb11: Dee to USA (Mike's Vday surprise gift)

14Mar11: Mike to Cayman (surprise visit)

21Apr11: Dee to USA

19May11: Mike to Cayman

20May11: MARRIED!!

They filed Single. But I guess they do have to option to amend if they want to get this Citizenship out the way know.

Don't get too big of a headache now.

Going to leave all of hanging as to whether she filed singly or separately? A huge difference, not only for the USCIS, but the IRS as well. But not as bad as a couple that came here sometime back where both filed head of household. That is really when you pay the lowest amount of taxes, but they claimed they were also advised to do so, but never said from whom.

Talking about taxes, looking at huge pile on my desk, should be doing that instead of typing this, but I know I am going to get a migraine headache once I start. Was never told to use a double negative in a sentence, they use triple and quadruple negatives. Very good at math, and can normally put a word problem into an equation to optimized the results on a worksheet, but my brain gets so twisted up with the language, just about ready to crack up.

What this country needs is a major taxpayers revolt. Not even a booklet this year, have to download everything off the net. Anything in their power to make it as miserable as possible.

Yes, it seems they just have to amend. This case wasn't related to me. Yes next time I will search. They wanted a quick answer so I just typed up the question. Let’s hope all goes well for them, whichever path they may choose, amend or not or just wait.

Thanks

I was just seeing if anyone on here ever gone though this scenario and was denied for this specific reason.

Arrr the dreaded IRS taxes :whistle:

USCIS is very, very fussy when coming to the table with joint taxes ( N-400 3yr rule)

Make sure you filed taxes for last 3 yrs married..simple as that..

If you have'nt then you can go to ya local uncle sams and adjust that year if need be..

It won't cost you and you wont be put in jail...

once that is done you will have something to show at interveiw if ask....

cover your #### before Interveiw day....

Good Luck :thumbs:

P.S...there is a search button on the forum ...search for key word on your subject, there you find a shed load of info about your post..

Timeline

Hi NickD,

I guess I should have been more clearer on my questions specifically #2. My partner went through (1) a nasty divorce (became final June 2010) from his ex wife and Im assuming there are some legal costs that either is or still ongoing; and (2) going through a nasty split now from another ex (about a year now) who's constantly looking childsupport hence the questions.

FYI - Im not a US citizen or LPR as yet because we're not married. I'm from the Cayman Islands (caribbean) and we don't have such issues as direct taxes etc., so the questions posed are things that we've talked about over the last few weeks. I do have property here at home that I have acquired on my own in my current legal name sowe just wanted an idea of how it would affect me/us going forward.

I appreciate your comments and look forward to your reply.

Can only share my experiences on this subject, is there anything except a nasty divorce? And who in the hell came up with no-fault divorce laws, if one spouse blows the entire household income for whatever reason and there is only one can of beans left, that spouse gets half of that can. When I heard about child support payments, I am a guy by the way. fault really hard and won for full physical custody of our remaining two minor children. This meant proving in a court of law, my then loving wife was incompetent to properly take care of them. Even after all of that, she still was awarded half of everything, plus alimony payments. But I did get her attorney to agree to a one lump payoff. Took me five years to pay off all those debts, think I mentioned that other debt I incurred after the divorce, had to pay that off too, and was really quite bitter.

It was in the year 2,000 I finally paid the last bill, and in 2002 is when my youngest, an adult, left home. Ha, Love that movie, Home Alone, was quite by chance I met Connie on the internet where we slowly developed a dependence on each other. After ten months of this, I suggested we finally meet, but until then, wasn't the least bit interested in women. Also had thoughts about my marriage IQ, considered to be brilliant by my peers in my profession, but realized my marriage IQ was less than two. Connie was quite nervous about our first meeting, what if we don't like each other. Just said, if nothing else, found in you, a perfect friend, would really like you to be my friend. But didn't turn out that way, believed in soulmates for the first time in my life and asked her to marry me. Then the USCIS I never heard about and getting permission for her daughter to come here. Another battle, but we learned we could really talk these problems over and if I didn't have the solution to a problem, she did. We got married 13 long months later.

Really don't know if you want to rush into anything, that is up to you, but can you survive your intended getting out of debt? And what about his kids, did you meet them? These are questions only you can answer.

Someone posted recently they got denied for filing single. Their reason was because his wife was going to school. USCIS Immigration Officer did not want to hear it. Prevention is better than cure (an old Jamaican saying).

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Someone posted recently they got denied for filing single. Their reason was because his wife was going to school. USCIS Immigration Officer did not want to hear it. Prevention is better than cure (an old Jamaican saying).

Buss it pan dem mi fren.... People know what they are doing when they do it. Hope it all turn for the best.

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.