Mark and Sasha

Wireless Internet or MiFI in Ukraine

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Howdy All,

I'm going to be visiting Ukraine later this year, and I'll need to have a relatively continuous data connection while I'm there. Something like a MiFi would be great. I didnt really want a USB card, cuz then I have to have a laptop all the time. Verizon claims they have data coverage there, so I could add international data roaming (relatively cheap) to my android phone.... but I dont know if I trust their claim on it.

Does anybody have any experience with renting/buying a device like this (which provider?)? I can pick it up in Kiev, but I'll mostly be in Kirovograd.

Thanks in advance!

Mark

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Howdy All,

I'm going to be visiting Ukraine later this year, and I'll need to have a relatively continuous data connection while I'm there. Something like a MiFi would be great. I didnt really want a USB card, cuz then I have to have a laptop all the time. Verizon claims they have data coverage there, so I could add international data roaming (relatively cheap) to my android phone.... but I dont know if I trust their claim on it.

Does anybody have any experience with renting/buying a device like this (which provider?)? I can pick it up in Kiev, but I'll mostly be in Kirovograd.

Thanks in advance!

Mark

I do not now if you can trust them but you can be shore that you will find some coffee shops that have WiFi and you can use your phone without problem. At least in Romania is like that.

07.19.2010 - NOA1

05.23.2011 - POE - LAX

06.01.2011 - Welcome letter arrived :)

06.04.2011 - 10 year GC received by mail :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I do not now if you can trust them but you can be shore that you will find some coffee shops that have WiFi and you can use your phone without problem. At least in Romania is like that.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm aware of that option. However, there might be some times where I'm not near a cafe and I need to send some simple email. Finding a cafe just to do that would be terrible.

~mark

Howdy All,

Thanks in advance!

Mark

Mark,

It works just fine with Verizon...I went to Ukraine many times and was able to "work" using my blackberry as long as you have a SIMM card and a "global" plan with Verizon. In other words what they allowed me to do is change my plan to global while I was in Ukraine and change it back to a nationwide plan once I came back to the US. The phone calls back to the US were at a very low rate per minute but calls whithin Ukraine were like 0.99 per minute. Data is included in the Global plan btw.

Hope it helps.

Joe.

Edited by Joe & Nadya

K1

09/11/08 - I-129F Sent
09/16/08 - I-129F NOA1
02/06/09 - I-129F NOA2
02/13/09 - NVC Received
04/06/09 - NVC Left
04/09/09 - Embassy Received
05/18/09 - Interview Passed/Visa Approved
05/21/09 - Visa Received (picked up at Fedex in Kiev)
05/28/09 - Entered U.S. via JFK
05/29/09 - Applied for SS#
06/08/09 - SS# Received in the mail
06/12/09 - Applied for a Marriage License
06/19/09 - Wedding Day
07/03/09 - SS# under new name received in the mail

AOS/EAD/AP
07/27/09 - I-485, I-765 & I-131 Sent
07/31/09 - Package arrived in Chicago
08/03/09 - NOA for all 3 forms
08/27/09 - Case transferred to CSC
09/02/09 - Biometrics appointment - Done
09/03/09 - EAD touched
09/04/09 - AOS touched
09/14/09 - AP & EAD approved - Card Ordered
09/18/09 - AP Received in the mail
09/21/09 - EAD Card received in the mail
09/25/09 - AOS Approved
09/29/09 - Green Card Sent
10/02/09 - Green Card Received.
12/18/09 - Got my Drivers License.

ROC
06/27/11 - I-751 Sent.
07/01/11 - NOA.
08/15/11- Biometrics appointment.
03/17/12- ROC Approved - No Interview.

Naturalization
01/21/15 - N-400 Sent

04/15/15 - Became a US Citizen

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

in Russia, all of the major cell phone providers have wifi modems. In addition, a company called Yota makes 4g modems that are as fast as a dedicated DSL connection, and in many cases even faster. I am sure that you will be able to find similar things in Ukraine.

Первый блин комом.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.