doodly

K1 visa packet lost - redoing medical exam?

8 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I'm new here, and I'm just curious if anyone here is in the same boat as me. I applied for my adjustment of status from a K1 visa on 7 Sep 2010. I was called for an interview with my husband (US citizen) in early December 2010. At the interview, I was told that my original K-1 visa packet containing my medical exam and other documents had not reached the related “A” file. This was the packet that I had submitted to the immigration when I entered the United States in July via Port Huron, MI. Anyway, the interview officer told me that he had requested for the visa packet and he was hoping to receive it within a few days, and that I would get my green card after that. It's been two months since, and no green card, so I contacted the Supervisory Adjudications Officer at the Detroit office yesterday for an update.

Today, they've emailed to tell me that my packet still hasn't reached my "A" file, and that they will be sending me an I-72 so that I can go and get my medical exam re-done with an approved civil surgeon in the US.

I've read in the forum that other people have had their packets lost as well.. I'm just curious how long it will take from this point on to get my green card. I'm planning on starting grad school this fall, and without permanent residence status, school fees are going to be exorbitant. I might have to re-think my plans. Also, what kind of medical exam will I be required to get at this point? A full examination including the x-ray and blood tests that I had done in Singapore (which is the country where I applied for and received my K1 visa)? Any advice would be appreciated.. I'm just so upset and annoyed right now.. how is it that packages are lost so easily?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You will have a FULL brand new exam. TB test, blood test, shots etc.

Have you contacted the POE and seen if you can follow up on the package as well? Many people have had their Medicals lost but not the entire brown envelope generally. I would get on the phone about that to the POE because it will take them a long time to recover all the paperwork from Singapore to rebuild your entire file. Couldn't hurt to get the congress/senator involved in finding it as well.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Hi all,

I'm new here, and I'm just curious if anyone here is in the same boat as me. I applied for my adjustment of status from a K1 visa on 7 Sep 2010. I was called for an interview with my husband (US citizen) in early December 2010. At the interview, I was told that my original K-1 visa packet containing my medical exam and other documents had not reached the related "A" file. This was the packet that I had submitted to the immigration when I entered the United States in July via Port Huron, MI. Anyway, the interview officer told me that he had requested for the visa packet and he was hoping to receive it within a few days, and that I would get my green card after that. It's been two months since, and no green card, so I contacted the Supervisory Adjudications Officer at the Detroit office yesterday for an update.

Today, they've emailed to tell me that my packet still hasn't reached my "A" file, and that they will be sending me an I-72 so that I can go and get my medical exam re-done with an approved civil surgeon in the US.

I've read in the forum that other people have had their packets lost as well.. I'm just curious how long it will take from this point on to get my green card. I'm planning on starting grad school this fall, and without permanent residence status, school fees are going to be exorbitant. I might have to re-think my plans. Also, what kind of medical exam will I be required to get at this point? A full examination including the x-ray and blood tests that I had done in Singapore (which is the country where I applied for and received my K1 visa)? Any advice would be appreciated.. I'm just so upset and annoyed right now.. how is it that packages are lost so easily?

Unfortunately this is not the first time I've heard about this. If they are going to make you retake the medical exam and are not going to pay for it (almost certain), you can write to USCIS and ask them to keep looking. If they are insisting they cannot find it, I would contact your Senator and get them involved. We all know civil surgeon fees are exorbitant especially for a full medical and you shouldn't have to be even more out of pocket than you already are just because USCIS are spectacularly inefficient.

All this will take time, though, so if green card issuance is a time-critical factor for you (which I guess depends on your grad school's application deadline), you may choose to just bite the bullet and get the exam done. Personally, I wouldn't want to pay out another penny towards this process and would start kicking up a fuss - let's face it, we put up with enough - but that's just me. Everyone's situation is different.

Whatever you decide I'm really sorry this happened for you. It must be so frustrating headbonk.gif

Jess
Forewarned is forearmed

See my Timeline for previous USCIS applications

Lifting Conditions
2/20/2013: Filed
2/25/2013: NOA1

7/5/2013: RFE

8/23/2013: Approved

8/31/2013: GC received

Sighs. That is going to be expensive.

The person at the Detroit office who interviewed me sent me an email when I asked for an update and it states this:

"Unfortunately I did find the record that the port of entry put the packet in the mail but when I checked with the Records Supervisor here, she indicated that it was not found in this office."

So I'm not sure if contacting the POE will help, but I will try. Thanks!

Hi again,

I have another related question. The civil surgeon that we spoke to on the phone looked at my vaccination records, and said that I need to take blood tests to confirm that I have all those vaccinations that are stated on my DS3025 and personal medical records. (Which sucks!) Also, I wasn't required to take shots for Hepatitis A and Meningococcal in Singapore; the doctor stated it was age inappropriate (I'm 26). The local civil surgeon says that I need these shots.. So I guess my question really is that what vaccinations are necessary? Has anyone faced a situation where you needed additional shots when repeating the medical exam in the US?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot believe this is happening again. I got the medical exam done again, and sent the doctor's report to the Detroit field office by Priority Mail with delivery confirmation. My package was confirmed delivered on 16 Feb 2011, and the officer handling our file still hasn't received it! These morons have lost my stuff yet again! I am so pissed! Has anyone had a similar bad experience with the Detroit field office? This is so annoying.. I hope they find it soon, else I'm going to have to go to the doctor and get another copy of the report. Does anyone know if they let you hand-deliver the I-693 to the relevant officer, or do you need to make an Infopass appointment for this? I don't know why they keep losing my stuff!

I think the local USCIS office that performs the interview has a lot of leeway in this. During our interview in December, they located the medical for my step daughter, but my wifes was missing. Both petitions were submitted together but somehow the wife's got lost. The interviewer went to talk to her boss and came back and approved us. She said that obviously the medical was done or they would not have gotten the visa. She was not going to disappoint us bacause of a USCIS error.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.