4Toms

PCC Requirement for IR1 - When and Where?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Guru's Out Here,

At what point in the IR1 visa processing are police clearance certificates required? I was under the impression that these are needed only during interview at the consulate abroad. Recently, came across conflicting reports that they are required at interview time Vs. at the time of DS-230 submission to NVC. On reading the Step by Step Guide, it looks like they need to be submitted along with DS-230 and NVC sends these documents to the US Consulate abroad. My queries in this regard

• Should PCCs always be submitted along with DS-230 to NVC?
  • Is this process the same for all consulates abroad irrespective of the country of origin?
  • Will NVC not process the case and forward to the consulate w/o PCC?

To provide context, my spouse will be taking the interview at Chennai Consulate, India. Fear I might not be in a position to have all the PCCs handy in time for NVC IV submission. Hope some of you can provide guidance / share your experiences in this respect.

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

I myself would like to know the answer to this please let me know if someone answers you. Thank you and good luck.

Guru's Out Here,

At what point in the IR1 visa processing are police clearance certificates required? I was under the impression that these are needed only during interview at the consulate abroad. Recently, came across conflicting reports that they are required at interview time Vs. at the time of DS-230 submission to NVC. On reading the Step by Step Guide, it looks like they need to be submitted along with DS-230 and NVC sends these documents to the US Consulate abroad. My queries in this regard

• Is this process the same for all consulates abroad irrespective of the country of origin?

To provide context, my spouse will be taking the interview at Chennai Consulate, India. Fear I might not be in a position to have all the PCCs handy in time for NVC IV submission. Hope some of you can provide guidance / share your experiences in this respect.

If you stand for nothing you will stand for anything

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I'm still at the I-130 stage so I may not know the most, but we asked the local consulate about this in the hopes that we could get them early. They said that at this specific consulate they request the police records once an interview has been scheduled and that you then have to sign permission to release the records. Your consulate my differ on the fine points, however, NVCs process surely does not differ depending on the consulate you will interview at.

I have already filled out our DS-230 and did not see anywhere any mention of police records.

Pretty safe to say they aren't necessary till after. Oh and what you might have read is that the CO at the consulate looks over your DS-230 which was forwarded by the NVC along withpolice records etc.

Hope this helps.

I had my wife apply for her police clearances right after we got the NOA2 text. From reading on here, you send everything to the NVC and it gets forwarded to the consulate...here is what I found for interview: http://chennai.usconsulate.gov/pdfs/packet-4/infoforivapplicants101116.pdf

The packet for the philippines said the same thing as the one for chennai...and we submitted everything to the NVC...we also had extra copies to take to the interview. here is the one for the philippines for comparison: http://photos.state.gov/libraries/manila/306605/atienzalb/Packet%204%20_appointment%20packet_%20English%20rtf%20_revised%20GSS_%20_2__001.pdf

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

As for me, it was taking a long time to get one of the required Police certs and I forwarded the NVC docs without it but then I got a checklist letter asking that the Police cert be sent. My case wasnt closed until they got it.

N400

Filing based on 3yrs/USC Spouse. 3 year residency anniversary is in August 2014. Filed immediately after the 90-day early filing mark (May 2014)

05/06/2014 - Mailed N-400

05/15/2014 - Check cashed

05/12/2014 - NOA Date

06/11/2014 - Biometrics Appointment

09/15/2014 - Inline for interview scheduling (was stuck in "Initial Review" for over 3 months!)

10/27/2014 - Scheduled for interview

12/01/2014 - Interview

12/19/2014 - I AM A US CITIZEN!

Guru's Out Here,

looks like these are required at NVC stage too though not sure if you can just send a copy of the original, looks like the Indian PCC are valid for a year. also check this link if you need to know where in India you should get a pcc from.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/fees/fees_4881.html?cid=3582

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

looks like these are required at NVC stage too though not sure if you can just send a copy of the original, looks like the Indian PCC are valid for a year. also check this link if you need to know where in India you should get a pcc from.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/fees/fees_4881.html?cid=3582

Raj,

Where did you read that?

Thanks for all your responses. This is certainly helpful. More folks seem leaning towards 'needed at the time of DS-230 submission'.

Keep your thoughts and experiences coming. Would certainly love to hear from folks who have been there, done this at consulates in India - (esp. if you did not provide the PCCs initially along with DS-230 to NVC).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.