AB806

Marrying while K1 process is ongoing

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Can my fiancée and I get married (outside US) while the K1 visa process is ongoing? Do we need to file for any adjustment or can she just come when K1 is approved and we get married again in US? Please advise. Thanks.

No you can not. She would not be your fiancee then. If you get married you can not use the K-1 and will need to file for a IR/CR-1

Can my fiancée and I get married (outside US) while the K1 visa process is ongoing? Do we need to file for any adjustment or can she just come when K1 is approved and we get married again in US? Please advise. Thanks.

The K-1 visa is for a fiance(e). If you are married, you are ineligible for the visa.

However - I believe you can have an unofficial ceremony for family and friends if you wish. Just make sure there is no paperwork filed and that the ceremony you have is not legally binding with the government of your fiance(e)'s country (be careful to check local customs as well). Consider it an 'engagement party' or something else of that nature.

If you get married, you would have to change to filing for a spouse visa and abandon the K-1.

Edited by TwoCats

kitsig.jpg

K-1 Visa/ AOS Timeline:
(Detailed info on our timeline can be found here: About us)

ROC Timeline:

02/10/2014 - ROC Sent.

02/12/2014 - NOA1 Date.

03/11/2014 - Biometrics Date.

05/28/2014 - Card Production.

I just want to make sure i understand this.

You CAN get married if it satisfy a cultural requirement,ceremony etc... But the its not legally recognized in the states. am I wrong? please tell.

because that's what i intend to do after package 3 and prior the interview.

thanks,

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Sure you CAN! However, you will no longer be fiancee's, the K-1 is a FIANCEE visa, not a SPOUSE visa. You WILL be starting over bu filing an I-130 for a spousal visa.

Here is what many do, they visit during the process, and through a nice "Engagement Party" and don't get married until after arriving on the K-1, we did.

Avoid doing any type of ceremony, in some countries even having a "religious" ceremony constitutes a "LEGAL" marriage, and the USA recognizes any legal marriage.

Here is an example of a couple that married prior to coming to the USA on visas that were for UN-Married people.

Perfectly Legal Immigrants, Until They Applied for Citizenship

I hate the headline, they were not perfectly legal immigrants, the misrepresentation just went unnoticed until they applied for citizenship.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.