redfragglekat

Packet 3 / 4 and (Form I-864) Sponsor questions

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Evening everyone,

Background: I'm Canadian doing a K1 to (eventually, some day soon!) marry my American fiance. Applied March 2010, got the Packet 3 info in October (from Montreal Consulate) and have been collecting the required info ever since. We're finally ready to send in the checklist and forms, and request an interview date.

Couple questions:

- For the size of our household: he has a teen son that does not live with him and he does not support significantly (by the mother's choice) do we need to declare his son as part of the household? (Doing so will of course increase our income threshold for Fiance to sponsor me)

- Given the time of the year, which Tax Year do we use? The last filed tax year is of course the 2009 taxes, filed in April 2010. It's February now, and he's not yet filed his 2010 tax year (due April 2011). Are we allowed to use the 2009 tax year? (It would be better for us if we could, since he has less taxable income in 2010 tax year).

K1 Visa

I-129F Sent: March 15, 2010

I-129F NOA1: March 18, 2010

I-129F NOA2: September 23, 2010

NVC Letter: October 7, 2010

Packet 3 Received: October 14, 2010

Packet 3 Sent : Feb 23, 2011

Packet 4 Received : May 09, 2011

Medical Date: May 11, 2011

Interview Date : May 16, 2011

Interview Result : APPROVED!

Passport Returned: May 30, 2011

Entered the US: May 31, 2011

Married: June 24, 2011

AOS, AP, EAD Sent: July 22, 2011

AOS, AP, EAD NOA: July 29, 2011

AOS RFE, Sept 14, 2011

Biometrics: September 16, 2011

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Why are you preparing the I-864? For a K-1 it is the I-134.

moving thread to:

US Embassy and Consulate Discussion

This is the place to post your experiences or questions related to this last step before moving to the US. Topics relating to I-134's, packets sent from consulate and medical & police certificates should be posted here.

YMMV

Evening everyone,

Background: I'm Canadian doing a K1 to (eventually, some day soon!) marry my American fiance. Applied March 2010, got the Packet 3 info in October (from Montreal Consulate) and have been collecting the required info ever since. We're finally ready to send in the checklist and forms, and request an interview date.

Couple questions:

- For the size of our household: he has a teen son that does not live with him and he does not support significantly (by the mother's choice) do we need to declare his son as part of the household? (Doing so will of course increase our income threshold for Fiance to sponsor me)

- Given the time of the year, which Tax Year do we use? The last filed tax year is of course the 2009 taxes, filed in April 2010. It's February now, and he's not yet filed his 2010 tax year (due April 2011). Are we allowed to use the 2009 tax year? (It would be better for us if we could, since he has less taxable income in 2010 tax year).

You do not need to use the I-184. You will use the I-134. That's not to be sent back to the consulate with Packet 3, that is to be brought to the interview. If your interview is after April 15t (I think that's the deadline), you will have to include 2010's tax return. If it's before then, then they will accept 2009's as the most recent. I suggest not filling this form out and dating and signing it until you know when your interview is. The closer to your interview date the better.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The son needs to be included in the household count in most cases.

See this link here for info (it's speaking about the I-864, but most guidelines apply to the I-134 in K visa cases also) -->> http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3183.html#36

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You do not need to use the I-184. You will use the I-134. That's not to be sent back to the consulate with Packet 3, that is to be brought to the interview.

Thanks for the clarification. We were following the instructions very literally: completing and collecting EVERYTHING on the checklist before sending the checklist in with the packet 3 forms. The I-864 is of course on the checklist, for the interview.

K1 Visa

I-129F Sent: March 15, 2010

I-129F NOA1: March 18, 2010

I-129F NOA2: September 23, 2010

NVC Letter: October 7, 2010

Packet 3 Received: October 14, 2010

Packet 3 Sent : Feb 23, 2011

Packet 4 Received : May 09, 2011

Medical Date: May 11, 2011

Interview Date : May 16, 2011

Interview Result : APPROVED!

Passport Returned: May 30, 2011

Entered the US: May 31, 2011

Married: June 24, 2011

AOS, AP, EAD Sent: July 22, 2011

AOS, AP, EAD NOA: July 29, 2011

AOS RFE, Sept 14, 2011

Biometrics: September 16, 2011

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.