Getting ready for Ramadan...

140 posts in this topic

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Sweet Lamb for Ramadhan (El Ham Lahlou - Algeria)

1 lb lamb

12 prunes (dried)

1 pear (firm)

3 cups water

1/4 cup sugar

3 tablespoons butter

2 tablespoons orange blossom water

2 tablespoons raisins (white)

2 tablespoons whole almonds (blanched)

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Cut lamb into 2-3 in pieces. Soak prunes in water for 1-2 hours & remove pits. Peel & core the pear & cut into wedges.

Melt butter in a pan over low heat & add the lamb. Sauté over low heat for 5 minutes.

Add cinnamon, water & sugar & mix well.

Increase heat to mod & cook for approx 45 minutes or till the lamb is tender to a fork. The sauce will become darker.

Drain prunes & add them to the lamb w/the raisins, almonds & pear.

Simmer for a further 15 minutes, remove the pan from heat & stir in the orange blossom water. (See note below).

NOTES: "Normally served at room temp w/rice, salad & bread, this sweet lamb dish is eaten after a dy of fasting during the Muslim holy celebration of Ramadhan. It's cooked w/o salt to prevent thirst the next dy for those fasting -- something that can be important in hot desert areas.".

"Orange blossom water is distilled water containing the essential oils of the orange blossom. It adds a hint of a citrus scent to foods & compliments the flavor. It is used in many lamb dishes, desserts & is perfect for fruit. A little goes a long way, so add it a few drops at a time to determine how much you like. It can be found at farmers markets, specialty food stores & Middle Eastern grocers.".

AHHH im sooo happy you put up this recipe!!!! ive been looking for a sweet lamb one exactly like it! :P do you think you can add apricots too? has anyone tried this?

Yes of course you can... I am sure it would be good....

Tangine4.4 pounds of Beef7 oz. chick peas 3 onions 4 tomatoes 4 turnips 3 ¼ cups of courgettes 17.5 oz of pumpkin 1 stick of celery 1 cabbage heart 3 tablespoons of olive oil 1 teaspoon of paprika Small amount of mashed coriander seeds Salt Pepper Quatre-épices2.2 lbs. of couscous 1 Dash of Harissa Recipe :Soak chick peas overnight if using dried. If using a coucouserie, heat oil in lower part, then add chopped meat. If not, heat oil in a pan and add meat. Add chopped onion and peeled and chopped tomatoes. After 10 minutes, add 2 litres cold water, chick peas and bones. Bring to boil over a medium heat. After an hour and a half, add chopped turnips, celery, coriander and paprika. Season, then add a pinch of spice, to taste. Blanch the cabbage in a separate pan for 2 or 3 minutes. After a further 30 mintes, add cabbage, courgettes and pumpkin. Steam couscous in top part of couscous-maker, or put in a bowl and cover with boiling water, cover and cook until light and fluffy. When cooked, put couscous in a large serving dish and stir in a little olive oil. Serve sauce and chick peas in a large bowl. Serve meat and vegetables together in another bowl. Thin harissa with a little stock and serve as an accompaniment, in a small dish.

ALGERIAN BISCUITS & CAKESRecipes for:MathaqabaBasbousaPeanut biscuitsMshawekGhribiyaLamonaQalb LuzSome recipes are in ounces some in grams and some in cups, sorry!MATHAQABA4 cups course semolina1 cup melted butter or smen1 cup of water mixed with orange flower waterpinch saltpitted, mashed datesStir the melted butter into the semolina & salt. Add the water so the dough becomes a dryish but workable consistency. Divide the mixture in half and roll out one half to a large circle or square about ½ cm thick. On top of this make a thin layer of date then finish off with another layer of the semolina dough. Cut into large diamonds and then cook on a hotplate over a gentle to moderate heat. Take care to turn frequently so they don’t burn.BASBOUSA1 ½ lb sugar2 pints cold watera little lemon juicehoney8 oz butter/margarine6 eggs4 oz plain (all purpose) flour6 oz semolina3 tsp baking powder4 oz ground almond1 tsp vanilla essenceMake the syrup by placing water, lemon juice and 1 lb sugar into a large pan. Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer for around 20-30 mins. Right at the end add in a spoonful or so of honey and stir in.Make the cake by beating the butter and ½lb (225g) sugar until creamy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Fold in the flour, baking powder, semolina and almond. Pour into a buttered tin (9”x12”x3”) and bake at Gas 4/350F/180C for about 40 mins (until golden and springy). Immediately cut into diamonds and gradually pour the hot syrup over until you think it is enough.Note: if you don’t have almonds, it is nice with dessicated coconut instead.PEANUT BISCUITS6 tbsp sugar6 tbsp 250g butter/margarinecup of ground raw peanuts (leave the skins on if you like)500g plain (all purpose) flouroilicing (confectioners) sugarMix the first 5 ingredients together well.If it seems to dry to work with and roll out add a little more oil. Roll out and cut into 1cm thick rounds, cut each one in half. If you have time shape each semi-circle into crescent moons. Bake at Gas mark 6/200C/400F until golden. As soon as you remove them from the oven get to work dredging the biscuits in icing sugar to make a buttery but powdery coating on each biscuit.MSHAWEK3 cups ground almonds 1 cup sugar 3 egg whites zest of 1 lemon1 tbsp orange flower water½ tsp baking powderFor rolling:extra egg whitefinely chopped almondsglace cherries or whole, blanched almondsMix the ingredients to a sticky dough adding more egg white if necessary. Keep a small bowl of water nearby to dip your fingers in. Roll mixture into walnut sized balls. Dip in egg white, roll in chopped almond and top with a glace cherry or whole, blanched almond. Place on greased, floured tray and bake at Gas 4/180c/350F for about 15 mins until golden. Makes about 30.EASY GHRIBIYA5 cups plain (all purpose) flour1 cup icing (confectioners) sugar1 ½ butter/smen½ cup oil½ tsp baking powderMix all the ingredients together well to make a soft dough. Roll into small balls and indent the top of each with a whole blanched almond. Bake at Gas 6/200C/400F for about 20 mins (longer at a lower setting if you like them pale).LAMONA (Algerian Brioches)If mixing and proving in a breadmaker place in machine in following order:125ml warm milk1 egg2 ½ oz sugar2 oz butterzest of ½ a lemon15 oz/425g plain flour10 ml/ 2 teaspoons yeastSet breadmaker to sweet setting but modify so that it doesn’t bake. I find they come out lighter if you extend the final rising time. Break off pieces about the size of a clementine for individual rolls (about 8). Press a few dark chocolate chips into the middle if desired. Leave to prove for about 15 mins. Brush with whisked egg yolk and then sprinkle with 1/2tsp of sugar. Bake in a moderate oven for about 15-20 mins. Best eaten fresh with coffee.QALB LUZ500g course semolina250g sugar1 cup butter/smen1 cup orange flower water (OFL)+ more water if necessary.Combine the semolina and sugar then mix in the butter. Moisten with the OFL until you have a very sticky batter a bit runnier than cake dough. Bake at Gas 4/180C/350F until golden and firm. Cut into squares and soak with the syrup.Syrup:12oz sugar1 ½ pints cold waterOFL1 Tbsp honeyBring to boil then simmer.

Filed: Timeline

I use marshmallow fluff when I make the treats. It doesn't contain gelatin. The halal markets in Dearborn always have halal marshmallows and halal krispy treats.

Helpful hint - there are halal marshmallows available. Also, try calling the Marshmallow fluff people and ask if they use gelatine. I remember reading somewhere that they (or one of their compeditors) don't use gelatine.

Henia...

do you have a recipe for those hard biscuity things with the black seeds that Yemenis make? Also a good recipe for sabaya? Was your ex from Ebb by any chance?

I still love Yemeni food :)

Edited by moody

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

When my mother-in-law was here from Morocco she showed me how to make an awesome vegetable soup where you blend all the vegetables. My husband loves it and told me that they eat it during Ramadan. So I tried to make it last Saturday, but I burnt it really bad. Plus, before I burnt it, it had a really bad aftertaste. So I was hoping someone might know how to make this soup and could tell me how to make it right without burning it! Thanks!

Adil & Janine

06/17/06- Wedding

08/16/06- I-130 and EAD sent with AOS packet

08/24/06- I-130, EAD, I-485 recieved

08/28/06- NOA1 for I-130, EAD, and I-485

09/01/06- Recieved boimetrics appointment letter

09/07/06- Biometrics appointment

10/24/06- Recieved letter for initial interview

11/21/06- EAD approved

11/27/06- EAD Recieved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11/30/06- Touched- NOA for EAD sent

12/01/06- I-130 and I-485 Touched

12/20/06- Initial interview

12/20/06- APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (4 months!)

12/27/06- Recieved NOA2 for I-130

12/27/06- Recieved welcome letter

12/27/06- I-485 touched, New card ordered

01/03/06- PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD RECIEVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YAY!!!

09/18/08- Sent I-751... hopefully I did it corectly!

09/something... recieved NOA1 for I-751

10/16/08- Recieved biometrics appointment letter

10/25/08- Biometrics appontment!

03/19/09- Recieved letter stating I-751 transfered to CSC

03/30/09- I-751 approved!

04/02/09- Recieved approval letter

04/30/09- Recieved new card

10/14/09- Sent N-400... the wait begins again.....

10/24/09- Recieved NOA receipt letter

02/05/10- Recieved Fingerprint notification

02/23/10- Fingerprinting appointment

04/07/10- N-400 Interview

10/07/10- Request for aditional evidencce

02/07/11- Oath Ceremony letter arrives!!!!!!!!!!

02/18/11- Oath Ceremony!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

I have a problem.... Samir really likes lamb. i do too. i really have never made it myself before. i dont even see it it at the store. where do all of you that buy lamb get it and do you have any tips on preparing it? thanks :)

shannon

glitter_maker_12_28_2006_10_08_52_29516.gif

us3.jpg

Copy_of_Algeriaflagsamir.gif

usaflagshannon.gif

LOL!

Jello brand gelatin is made with kosher gelatin so he can eat that :)

Some yogurts, candies, fruit snacks, etc. contain gelatin as well so you really have to read your labels. That is if you're vigilant about it.

i actually have a question about this....

when i was living in Paris i noticed that a lot of times on the ingredients labels they would include geltin and then in parenthesis say that it was pork gelatin.... i havent noticed this so much since i've been paying attention in the US.. if they just say "gelatin" in the ingredients is it kosher?? do they have to say that it is pork gelatin if it contains pork?? i would think that this would make sense because there are so many people out there that do not eat pork... or do people just avoid gelatin altogether...

Filed: Timeline

Kosher gelatin will say "kosher gelatin". If it just says gelatin then I assume it's made with pork just to be safe. For example Yoplait yogurt says "kosher gelatin" on the label so I eat that kind. Most no-brand/store brand yogurts do not use kosher so I skip those. I've never read a label that said "pork gelatin".

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.