SEKYSK

751 sent back - help please

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

So, I was a January filer and I had a feeling something was wrong since it has been about 10 days and the check wasn't cashed as of yet. To my dismay, the packet was sent back. There isn't much info about my situation, so I am hoping you guys can help. Basically, I had started a topic on here before I sent in the packet regarding my husband having been issued a 10 year green card, I assume mistakingly, on 3/26/2009 (we were married Dec 8. 2007 - so less than 2 years). However, not knowing there was a law basically stating that if married for less than 2 years at time green card was issued, you must remove conditions within 2 years. We just thought the agent issued him a 10 year card.

Anyway, I was instructed by our attorney that even though it was a mistake and his card didn't expire until 3/31/2019, we must still remove conditions to avoid problems in the future.

So I mailed the packet on Jan 18th. We received it back today with the reason being "other" and handwritten it states that the card issued with the 551 must be returned with I-751 and fee. We did as directed and make copies of front and back. How would we know to send card back, and plus, then my husband would be without a green card in the interim.

On the I-751 when it asks for card expiration, I had put the actual date on card of 3/31/2019 (with an * and then a separate page explaining the mistake) and they crossed that out and put 3/26/2011. Does this mean we need to redo the application as well and just put 3/26/2011??

There is no place explaining this type of mistake...how would we have known to send card back??

Thanks SO much. I am pretty upset over this :(

If I were you, I'd fill out the application again with the new expiration date. I'd attach the old application so that they are not confused (you know how sometimes they are). Secondly, I would send the card back as they requested. You don't have a choice here to stay with the card, they want it, give it back to them. It makes sense that they want it back because it has erroneous info. on it - the expiration date. None of all these were your mistake. How could you have known to send the card back to them?

The most obvious thing that will happen is that you will receive an extension letter. But that letter is typically used with the 2yr GC. My guess is that they will send you a GC with a March 2011 expiration date, and a 10-yr one in due time. If they don't, you can call them or make an infopass. Good thing is that you filed ROC before March.

2001-2008 F1

08/2008 - AOS VSC

07/2009 - end of 8yrs of grad sch

02/14/09 - ID, GC approved

02/27/09 - CGC rcvd

11/16/2010 - 751 sent - CSC

03/29/2011 - 751 approved

11/15/11 - N400 Sent

11/18/11 - Notice Date

01/27/12 - Interview Date

03/15/12 - Oath Ceremony

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I am sure after filing the I-751 and sending the green card with the application, you will receive the extension letter that everyone receives.

2007-11-8 : Married

AOS

2008-3-03 : AOS sent

2008-3-12 : Check cashed

2008-3-14 : Received Receipt Notices of AOS ,EAD and AP

2008-3-17 : Biometrics Appointment notice date

2008-4-03 : Biometrics Appointment ,,,DONE,,,

2008-5-09 : EAD card ordered and AP approval notice

2008-5-13 : AP approval notice sent

2008-5-16 : AP received

2008-5-19 : EAD Approval notice sent

2008-5-21 : EAD received

2008-6-27 : interview appointment letter (for August)

2008-8---- : interview was fine, but was given a RFE, reason: chicken pox shot( although i got the shot when i was little)

2008-10-- : green card

ROC

2010-7-13 : I-751 sent

2010-7-16 : I-751 received

2010-7-20 : I-751 sent back to me. Cause: signatures and filing early.

2010-7-26 : I-751 re-sent

2010-8-09 : First NOA received ( dated 8/2 )

2010-8-12 : Biometrics appointment letter received ( dated 8/6 )

2010-8-19 : Early biometrics

2010-9-08 : Card production ordered

2010-9-15 : Green Card received, with incorrect first name (one letter missing)

I-90

2010-9-16 : Sent I-90 with Green Card

2010-9-17 : I-90 delivered

2010-9-24 : Receipt received. Notice date: 9-22

2011-2-08 : Card production ordered

2011-2-10 : Card received with NO errors.

N400 :

11-22-2011 :Sent

02-21-2012 :Interview ( a long delay afterwards)

05-18-2012 :Oath - US citizen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

So, I was a January filer and I had a feeling something was wrong since it has been about 10 days and the check wasn't cashed as of yet. To my dismay, the packet was sent back. There isn't much info about my situation, so I am hoping you guys can help. Basically, I had started a topic on here before I sent in the packet regarding my husband having been issued a 10 year green card, I assume mistakingly, on 3/26/2009 (we were married Dec 8. 2007 - so less than 2 years). However, not knowing there was a law basically stating that if married for less than 2 years at time green card was issued, you must remove conditions within 2 years. We just thought the agent issued him a 10 year card.

Anyway, I was instructed by our attorney that even though it was a mistake and his card didn't expire until 3/31/2019, we must still remove conditions to avoid problems in the future.

So I mailed the packet on Jan 18th. We received it back today with the reason being "other" and handwritten it states that the card issued with the 551 must be returned with I-751 and fee. We did as directed and make copies of front and back. How would we know to send card back, and plus, then my husband would be without a green card in the interim.

On the I-751 when it asks for card expiration, I had put the actual date on card of 3/31/2019 (with an * and then a separate page explaining the mistake) and they crossed that out and put 3/26/2011. Does this mean we need to redo the application as well and just put 3/26/2011??

There is no place explaining this type of mistake...how would we have known to send card back??

Wow! When did your attorney tell you this? because with the greencard they send a letter saying to look the card over and if there is an error call them at the phone number on the letter. If he has been on your case all along I would think he should have suggested that the 10 year GC was an error and that you need to call them and get the error corrected instead of say you still need to file for ROC after 2 years!

07/16/07 posted I-129f

07/20/07 confirmed delivered by US Postal Service

8/23/07 No NOA1 !!!!

8/23/07 phoned USCIS (told they can't help until after 90 days)

8/23/07 contacted bank to get copy of Cx check...illegable...noc WAC#

tried for weeks to get actual check....not possible, had to wait the 90 days for info from USCIS

10/17/07 Phoned USCIS, got thru (!), got WAC number and NOA1 date!!!!

07/26/07 NOA1 (never recieved hard copy, was promised a copy would be sent)

11/01/07 Ordered copy of "long form" UK B.C.

11/05/07 Recieved B.C. (Wish USCIS was that fast!)

11/09/07 Submitted request for UK police records

12/04/07 APPROVED By USCIS NOA2 letter sent (or so they claim)

12/15/07 Police certificate recieved

12/28/07 Called NVC, not in system

01/04/08 petition forwarded to London

01/12/08 packet 3 received *rubs eye in disbelief* Speed and efficiency, can it be?

01/18/08 HARD COPY OF NOA2 ARRIVED...seems the snail made a wrong turn somewhere.

01/28/08 Returned packet 3 to London Embassy

02/12/08 Medical completed...no problem.

02/13/08 Packet 4 received from London Embassy

03/03/08 Embassy Interview

03/06/08 Visa Arrived....Lovely to finally see it even if it is a bit drab...after 8 month you think they'd have sprung for some gold foil or at least a COLOR photo?

TODAY...he's here! He's in the US! Hurrah!

If I were you, I'd fill out the application again with the new expiration date. I'd attach the old application so that they are not confused (you know how sometimes they are). Secondly, I would send the card back as they requested. You don't have a choice here to stay with the card, they want it, give it back to them. It makes sense that they want it back because it has erroneous info. on it - the expiration date. None of all these were your mistake. How could you have known to send the card back to them?

The most obvious thing that will happen is that you will receive an extension letter. But that letter is typically used with the 2yr GC. My guess is that they will send you a GC with a March 2011 expiration date, and a 10-yr one in due time. If they don't, you can call them or make an infopass. Good thing is that you filed ROC before March.

Thank you for the reply. I was planning on leaving the packet as-is (with original app, etc) and then submitting new app with "new/correct" date and actual card attached. I didn't think about them sending back a green card with a March 2011 date immediately, while we go through the normal I-751 process...this would make sense.

Wow! When did your attorney tell you this? because with the greencard they send a letter saying to look the card over and if there is an error call them at the phone number on the letter. If he has been on your case all along I would think he should have suggested that the 10 year GC was an error and that you need to call them and get the error corrected instead of say you still need to file for ROC after 2 years!

I actually don't recall a letter, but when my husband was given his temp green card by the interviewer that day it was stamped with the 3/31/2019 date...we (my husband and I) thought this was at the discretion of the interviewer and due to us being together almost a decade at that time plus the overwhelming amount of evidence, he issued a 10 year. I don't even know that we showed the attorney at that moment the date. When our attorney then reached out a few months back as a reminder to remove conditions within 90 days prior to the green card expiring, we brought to his attention that the card didn't expire until 2019 and he asked us to fax a copy of front and back to show him, and he was even surprised and this was when we learned that it isn't at the discretion of the agent, and that "by law" any marriage less than 2 years old at the time green card was issued must have conditional status. So none of this really was realized until just a couple months ago.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Try not to worry, this was not your mistake.

At this point all you can do is go step by step to sort it all out with them, it was their error.

Whilst I agree to a point that you need to do what USCIS asks...your case seems to have hit a little complication.

What has your attorney advised in regards to returning the greencard?

If I were in your shoes I would check that out with him first because that is your proof of legal residence

he's already familiar with your case and should be able to tell you if a request like that is the correct and normal course of action.

07/16/07 posted I-129f

07/20/07 confirmed delivered by US Postal Service

8/23/07 No NOA1 !!!!

8/23/07 phoned USCIS (told they can't help until after 90 days)

8/23/07 contacted bank to get copy of Cx check...illegable...noc WAC#

tried for weeks to get actual check....not possible, had to wait the 90 days for info from USCIS

10/17/07 Phoned USCIS, got thru (!), got WAC number and NOA1 date!!!!

07/26/07 NOA1 (never recieved hard copy, was promised a copy would be sent)

11/01/07 Ordered copy of "long form" UK B.C.

11/05/07 Recieved B.C. (Wish USCIS was that fast!)

11/09/07 Submitted request for UK police records

12/04/07 APPROVED By USCIS NOA2 letter sent (or so they claim)

12/15/07 Police certificate recieved

12/28/07 Called NVC, not in system

01/04/08 petition forwarded to London

01/12/08 packet 3 received *rubs eye in disbelief* Speed and efficiency, can it be?

01/18/08 HARD COPY OF NOA2 ARRIVED...seems the snail made a wrong turn somewhere.

01/28/08 Returned packet 3 to London Embassy

02/12/08 Medical completed...no problem.

02/13/08 Packet 4 received from London Embassy

03/03/08 Embassy Interview

03/06/08 Visa Arrived....Lovely to finally see it even if it is a bit drab...after 8 month you think they'd have sprung for some gold foil or at least a COLOR photo?

TODAY...he's here! He's in the US! Hurrah!

Have to send the wrong dated card back - you have copies of it so when you get NOA1 extending the status, make an Infopass and make them stamp I-551 in the passport.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Have to send the wrong dated card back - you have copies of it so when you get NOA1 extending the status, make an Infopass and make them stamp I-551 in the passport.

I haven't asked our attorney yet. I just received it in the mail yesterday and I figured we would go through the I-751 process on our own since it seemed simple enough (and, thereby save us a good amount of money)...little did I realize that a mistake that was not our own, would cause this to not be so simple, lol.

My husband does not have a passport...it was already expired at the time he was granted his green card.

Does everyone think we are ok just sending back the packet with the green card...I noticed that in the letter they sent back they also marked the one line item which states "a copy of the green card was not included" and they crossed out "copy". So I guess I don't even think I need to redo the app...I will leave the one they have that they marked with their notes, and I guess all we need to do is toss in the green card and mail the packet again. Stinks because now we have to pay for shipping all over again!!

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't asked our attorney yet. I just received it in the mail yesterday and I figured we would go through the I-751 process on our own since it seemed simple enough (and, thereby save us a good amount of money)...little did I realize that a mistake that was not our own, would cause this to not be so simple, lol.

My husband does not have a passport...it was already expired at the time he was granted his green card.

Does everyone think we are ok just sending back the packet with the green card...I noticed that in the letter they sent back they also marked the one line item which states "a copy of the green card was not included" and they crossed out "copy". So I guess I don't even think I need to redo the app...I will leave the one they have that they marked with their notes, and I guess all we need to do is toss in the green card and mail the packet again. Stinks because now we have to pay for shipping all over again!!

They need the card back because it has an error on it. I had to send mine back to them because they had given me a middle intial on my card, I was without mine for 4 weeks because I had to have biometrics done again before they could issue me with a new card so as you have to have biometrics done for the new 10 year card he will probably be without it until then.

California Service Center

Consulate: Vienna, Austria

01/09/2008: Marriage

01/22/2009: I-130 Sent

02/10/2009: I-130 NOA1

02/12/2009: I-129 Sent

03/03/2009: I-129 NOA1

03/16/2009: I-130 NOA2 I-129 NOA2

NVC Journey CR-1

04/03/2009: NVC Received and Case number assigned

04/06/2009: IV bill/AOS Fee bill generated (for son)

04/06/2009: Pay I-864 Fee Bill online (for son)Paid I-864 Fee Bill online (for son)

04/07/2009: IV bill/AOS Fee bill (for son) status shows paid

04/08/2009: IV bill/AOS Fee bill generated (for me) Pay I-864 Fee Bill online (for me)

04/09/2009: IV bill/AOS Fee bill (for me) status shows paid

04/09/2009: Received I-864/DS-230 package

04/28/2009: Send completed I-864 package Send completed DS-230 package

05/18/2009: Package entered into system

05/27/2009: AVR says RFE sent by email

06/02/2009: Received RFE by email Sent RFE DHL

06/08/2009: NVC received RFE

06/10/2009: RFE entered into AVR

06/19/2009: Case Completed at NVC

07/08/2009: NVC Left

Embassy Journey CR-1

07/12/2009: Received by embassy

08/24/2009: Medical

08/25/2009: Interview Date

08/26/2009: Visa in hand

09/14/2009: POE Boston Harbour

01/18/2011: I-751 sent to CSC

01/24/2011: NOA1

03/04/2011: Biometrics

I'm also sending my I751 tomorrow (Goodluck to all of us!).

I saw your problem and my friend has a similar problem to yours. She did not return her card but went to the local DHS and asked helped from somebody there. One of the staff was so helpful and guided them what to do. The staff even gave them an option to have all the correspondence relating the problem be sent to her instead to them directly, which they opted. In 4 months she got her correct green card. Hope this works on you too. Just give it a shot.

Filed: Timeline

I have known some people that your situation happened to them

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.