7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello everyone.

From what I understand, another medical exam is usually NOT necessary upon US entry if the exam in the home country occurred within the last year but that a Civil Surgeon still needs to sign off on the I-693 as part of the AOS procedure. What documents will we need to have for this?

She has her vaccination record and the X-ray from the doctor in Colombia but the embassy kept the entire contents of the sealed medical envelope at the visa interview. Immigration as well didn't return anything (other than the lower part of I-94) at POE. Is the vaccination record and X-ray sufficient? Should she attempt to have another copy of the contents of the sealed envelope (which we never have seen) sent to us by the doctor in Colombia? Would that be easier/cheaper than getting another full exam by a Civil Surgeon here in the US?

I'm starting to think the embassy kept a lot of the documents that we will need for AOS. When they didn't return them the day of the interview, I was expecting to have them returned at POE but now we are short her birth certificate and most of the medical records. Of course, she's not allowed to return to Colombia to secure new copies of anything before AOS...

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hello everyone.

From what I understand, another medical exam is usually NOT necessary upon US entry if the exam in the home country occurred within the last year but that a Civil Surgeon still needs to sign off on the I-693 as part of the AOS procedure. What documents will we need to have for this?

She has her vaccination record and the X-ray from the doctor in Colombia but the embassy kept the entire contents of the sealed medical envelope at the visa interview. Immigration as well didn't return anything (other than the lower part of I-94) at POE. Is the vaccination record and X-ray sufficient? Should she attempt to have another copy of the contents of the sealed envelope (which we never have seen) sent to us by the doctor in Colombia? Would that be easier/cheaper than getting another full exam by a Civil Surgeon here in the US?

I'm starting to think the embassy kept a lot of the documents that we will need for AOS. When they didn't return them the day of the interview, I was expecting to have them returned at POE but now we are short her birth certificate and most of the medical records. Of course, she's not allowed to return to Colombia to secure new copies of anything before AOS...

Vaccination record is all you need. It's only the vaccination portion of the I-693 that the civil surgeon needs to fill out. But you only need to do this if the medical she had in Colombia marked her vaccination history as incomplete. If it's all complete then no need for the I-693.

USCIS holds on to the medical completed in Colombia. You never get that back. But you never should have given them your wife's original birth cert. Official docs like that should only be submitted as photocopies, and you retain the originals.

I'm the USC petitioner.

Timeline:

10/06/2005 Met in Ireland while I was on a study abroad

03/15/2010 K-1 NOA1

05/27/2010 K-1 NOA2

09/10/2010 K-1 Interview

09/22/2010 POE

10/01/2010 Wedding

10/27/2010 AOS/EAD/AP NOA1s

12/22/2010 EAD/AP Approved

04/05/2011 AOS Approved - no interview

04/09/2011 Green Card received

01/24/2013 ROC NOA1

06/28/2013 ROC Approved - no interview

07/05/2013 10-year Green Card received

08/19/2014 N-400 NOA

12/06/2014 N-400 Interview

01/09/2014 Naturalization ceremony

My husband is now a US Citizen! Our journey is over!

20r8m4.png

WdKPm5.png

8PEOm5.png

My fiance only needed the vaccination record and the civil surgeon did the rest of the paperwork. It cost us $25 for the paperwork and $30 for a couple of extra shots at the department of health. Much cheaper than a full exam! Make sure you shop around when looking for a civil surgeon. The first one we called wanted to redo the exam and charge us a fortune.

Good Luck,

Jackie

Timeline

Thanks! That's a relief!

The Birth Cert is an inconvenience but, fortunately, her parents have to travel to Bogota next week and can send us a new one directly from the register in her hometown. Its really not possible to ship anything internationally from her hometown and could have been a real hassle if they weren't travelling next week.

Honestly, for the interview, I never even thought about taking copies. I always sent photocopies by mail, but figured at the embassy it would be like going to the DMV. They's look at the docs, then hand them back. I'm really glad I decided to pull our personal items - B-day cards, pictures (originals), etc. - from the folder that day.. Oh well, now I know. (Not that I plan on ever having to use it again.)

Thanks again.

N-400

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Timeline

there is a form G-845 to request of documents you need to tell them what documents you want back, it has to be notirozed,

Thanks. I'll look into it.

At what stage would that form be used? At POE, the immigration agent said something about shipping the contents of the sealed POE envelope to the "local"(???) USCIS office? Any chance of getting it back from them?

No big deal now.. The medical papers were my main concern and she definitely has her vacc. record. Fortunately, the new B.C. should arrive about the same time as our certified marriage certificate is available, so the delay in filing for AOS should be minimal to none.

N-400

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Thanks. I'll look into it.

At what stage would that form be used? At POE, the immigration agent said something about shipping the contents of the sealed POE envelope to the "local"(???) USCIS office? Any chance of getting it back from them?

No big deal now.. The medical papers were my main concern and she definitely has her vacc. record. Fortunately, the new B.C. should arrive about the same time as our certified marriage certificate is available, so the delay in filing for AOS should be minimal to none.

You don't need the medical records they are for USCIS to keep making sure fiancee was healthy before entering US. BC you need so good you are getting that and you have the vaccination form that's all you need. If it says complete as said before you don't need 693 even though I recommend you do, so you don't get RFE always better to be safe than sorry. You just need copies of everything for AOS ok no originals. Good luck

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.