montreal girl

OPINIONS PLS

14 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey yall

I have my interview on Feb 18 and I assume once they approve it that day it will take another week to get back my passport so that i can physically move to the US.

Question: I am financing a car and have 1.7 years left to pay on it. I called border patrol and they said i need to get a letter from the loan department that they give me permission to move my car to the US, and that I need to fill out two forms.... he also said i would have to pay a 2.5 % on the depreciated value of my car. Seems like a hassel...and ontop of that, my canadian bank won't take my preauthorized payments for the car from a US bank....so i don't know what to do....

has anyone drove across the border with their vehicule? are there any ways to get around all of that stuff and paperwork?

Edited by montreal girl

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

No there is no way around it you have to import your car. You need a compliance letter as well from the car makers.

This isn't an IR/CR-1 issue should be posted in the canadian forum.

You don't pay duty on your car with a visa.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

They take your passport at the interview and don't give it back???

They take your passport at the interview and it is returned to you (usually within a week or so) with the visa inserted.

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh no..this is not good!! My husband and I are planning on driving up to Montreal for the interview (I live in Rochester, NY) and he is only across the border from me so he comes to see me every weekend. If we plan on leaving from Rochester together that means HE won't be able to cross back over the border with me when we return???? This is NOT good! Is there any way around it???

Timeline

Oh no..this is not good!! My husband and I are planning on driving up to Montreal for the interview (I live in Rochester, NY) and he is only across the border from me so he comes to see me every weekend. If we plan on leaving from Rochester together that means HE won't be able to cross back over the border with me when we return???? This is NOT good! Is there any way around it???

so u dont have a visa yet--ur not living there--ur visiting,lol You can ASK for the visa that day or next--explain the situation---and they may or may not grant it!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Well He will get a temporary Green card right then and there right???

Will that allow him to cross over the border with me to go back to Rochester that day?

no he will not get a "temp green car" then!! The Temporary green card--which is the I-551--is the stamp(visa) in is passport! Which they 99% of the time mail out!!

One can ask, and explain the situation---BUT they dont always, nor do they have to issue the visa that day or next! SO be prepared. No passport = no moving to the USA. Just another frustration!! And they do not always mail out the Passport and package right away! I guess DHL now handles the package---but again, it all coems down to how fast Mtl sends out the package!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

The US embassy in Canada does not give green cards. It prints VISAS in passports.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

He will not be able to go back with you that day. Montreal might agree to let you pick up the passport the next day. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

Edited by Married2009

Married: 01/02/09

I-130 filed: 11/06/09

NOA1: 11/13/09

NOA2: 02/11/10

NVC received: 02/18/10

Case complete @ NVC: 04/14/10

Interview @ Montreal: 07/13/10 - Approved

POE: Sweetgrass, MT, 08/07/10

Filed for ROC: 07/20/12

Biometrics appt: 08/24/12

Timeline

Well He will get a temporary Green card right then and there right???

Will that allow him to cross over the border with me to go back to Rochester that day?

You sound surprised - you may want to do some reading in our forum in particular and then ask questions. Your timeline is whatever Montreal decides to do...folks in the past have made the mistake of assuming they can get their passport back right way or that they can enter the US immediately - it just doesn;t happen that fast. You can ask them at the interview and hope for the best as Flames says, it can't hurt.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

and it takes anywhere from a few days to maybe close to a week and half to get the visa in the mail!! Thats why they recommend one don't make nay plans until u get the pkg in ur hands--or have refundable plane tickets!!!

Timeline

As for the car part, I have a Nissan that I had a loan with Nissan on. They wouldn't allow me to take the loan across the border, so before I moved I had to transfer it to a Line of Credit with my bank. Not sure if my bank takes funds from an american bank for payments because what I keep doing is transferring funds to my canadian checking account and paying the LOC from that.

You won't have pay duty on the car as you are moving to the states, so it gets to come in free with you, but you will need something from the loan holder saying they are aware of you moving your car cross borders (paying mine off on the LOC let me pay off the car, so no one owns the loan, even though technically theres still a loan on it cuz the debt was just shifted). You do have to import the car, but its not really much paperwork if you can do what I did. In fact, I don't think I did any paperwork, just handed them a copy of my letters of compliance and the letter saying I had paid off the account and the car is now mine, and they filled out everything for me.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.