coraliesolms

Job Interview

83 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I had another interview today, was horrible timing as we had some pretty bad snow here, I hope I got a A+ for driving in as 7 people canceled on the lady

Grats inky, I wish you luck and hope to see you got that Job

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congrats Inky! I hope it goes well for you! And Canadianggal, good luck to you too, I hope that your determination shines through from driving in in adverse weather. I know that would have impressed me!

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Timeline

Have a quick question about pay

At my interview if they ask me what i'm looking to get payed. I'm not really sure what to answer with.

Lowest pay listed was 7$ highest was 10$ per hour.

In Canada I made 9.50 an hour.

I am technically over qualified for their requirements because the schooling I had in Canada doesn't exist in the US yet. So they only require a GED.

My husband says I should ask for 8.50 to 9.50

I want to ask for 9.50 to 10. But he says that is too bold even with my education and experience. That they would likely pick the lower payed GED person over me for asking for more money.

Ideas - opinions - thoughts?

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

At my interview if they ask me what i'm looking to get payed. I'm not really sure what to answer with.

I am technically over qualified for their requirements because the schooling I had in Canada doesn't exist in the US yet. So they only require a GED.

I want to ask for 9.50 to 10. But he says that is too bold even with my education and experience. That they would likely pick the lower payed GED person over me for asking for more money.

I would agree with your husband and ask for around 9/hr. Usually when I've been applying I'm asking for the minimum I think is acceptable and go from there, hoping they will offer more (which really worked in this case for me). If you really want to you can say 9.25-9.75. I guess the easiest way is just to figure out what the minimum you would work for is and use that as a starting place.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Timeline

Hmmm...you could try http://www.salary.com/salary/index.asp to see if you can find an average wage? If you have previous experience at this same type of work, I see no reason not to ask for a higher range - you're hardly untrained, right? You can also explain your reason for asking, that should help them understand where you're coming from. Maybe do 9-10 - all they can do is say no, but you're showing you think you're valuable.

I don't think you should assume they'll take the less experienced 'cheaper' individual.....in today's market, any experience for a position is valuable..... seems a little 'glass half full' to me :)

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

Another small question lol.. it came up when talking about the wage thing.

I have full coverage through the military. If I get FT position with this place it says medical benefits package. Is it inappropriate to tell them I have full medical and they wont have to pay for medical for me if they hire me? Is that even legal for them to not pay for medical coverage for a full time person if they already have full coverage? My husband isn't sure of how that works and I don't really want to cost them extra if it can be avoided by telling them.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I know that with AT&T medical coverage is something that you sign up for yourself, it isn't automatically done once you're hired. I don't have insurance through them because, well, it sucks. Usually you enroll online or fill out a form--totally voluntary. It was that way when I worked at Wal-Mart too, so I'm just guessing that's the norm. Could be wrong, though!

Naturalization

04/10/17- N-400 Filed

04/12/17- Received Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

04/13/17- Credit Card Charged

04/14/17- NOA

05/08/17- Biometrics

05/11/17- In Line

05/22/17- Interview Scheduled

06/28/17- Interview(Approved)

08/29/17 - Oath Ceremony

Timeline

I don't think that's inappropriate at all Inky. Generally, medical insurance is something they offer and you can accept, or reject. Most places won't pay 100% of the insurance, but a portion of it. I know the company I work for pays 50%, but my husbands company pays 50% of his (and my) insurance too, and it's better coverage for a lower cost, so we both have coverage under his employment plan. It came up at my job interview and I said I already had coverage, but would like to look at their plan and compare costs, which they seemed just fine with. I think employers generally expect to carry that expense, and I really doubt they make employment decisions based on that. But I don't think it would hurt to bring it up.

As for the wage, I would say it depends on how bad you want the job, vs. how much you think you're work. Personally, looking back I think I undervalued myself a little when I applied for the job I am working now. But, I really wanted the job and was sick of being unemployed.

Timeline

I moved here on Tuesday, and was lucky enough to be hired yesterday! Only problem is though, I haven't received my SSN yet. I had my POE on the 15th, so is it likely I've been assigned a number and am just waiting on the card itself? If that's the case, can I call and get it somehow?

Filed: Timeline

Congratulations, Pixie! Hope that snow-driving effort scored you big points, Canadiandggal!

Tell them the reasons why you believe you should be offered the higher end of the pay scale. (Including the fact that you don't require health benefits.) You don't have to be specific about the amount. You can tell them that you would also accept starting at the upper mid range with a review of the rate at the 3 month and/or 6 month mark. Businesses will pay the high end of the scale if they believe they are getting value for their money.

iagree.gif

Timeline

I moved here on Tuesday, and was lucky enough to be hired yesterday! Only problem is though, I haven't received my SSN yet. I had my POE on the 15th, so is it likely I've been assigned a number and am just waiting on the card itself? If that's the case, can I call and get it somehow?

You can not call BUt you can goto the closest SSN office and check....(I'm assuming you checked the ssn box on the form ds 230????)

BUT (always buts,lol) They say to wait 10-14 business days before checking as it takes time to get you in the system! Yes amazingly things do not happen at light speed. If it were I--and I POE'd on the 15th--i would download the SSn form at

http://ssa.gov/online/ss-5.html Fill it out, take ur Cdn passport and birth certificate and head to the local office and check the status. If they do not see ya, hand out the already filled out SSN form (saves u time of going and filling it out there) and they will need the passport and biirth cert for ID purposes and that should be it!! I believe you can go back to the office the next day or two and they can verbally tell you the SSN # (wont give it over phone)

Thats the route I and many others have to go even though they checked off the box on the DS-230! Mine came in the mail 1 week later, but again that was back in 2005, but still appears to be the case in present day.

I'd get to the SSN office early and wait for it to open--they tend to be busy places!! good luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Jeff got his SSN card Thursday. They spelled his name wrong -.- In any case, I'm just glad we got it, faster that I thought too. Our cases seem to run parallel as far as timelines, so hopefully this is an indication that yours should come too. :)

J-

Our Story

03-05-2008: Met Online (World of Warcraft)

04-19-2008: Met in Person and Started Dating

04-19-2009: Engaged

08-07-2009: Married at Laconia, New Hampshire

USCIS

10-21-2009: Mailed I-130

10-26-2009: NOA1

05-17-2010: NOA2

Our I-130 was approved in 203 days from our NOA1 date

NVC

05-25-2010: Called NVC to receive case # and submit emails

06-01-2010: AOS Fee Paid

06-09-2010: Opt-in accepted

06-16-2010: E-mailed I-864 package

06-23-2010: IV Fee Paid

07-12-2010: E-mailed DS230 package

08-04-2010: Email from NVC - Case Completed

NVC process completed in 71 days

CONSULATE

12-07-2011: Received consulate interview date

12-13-2010: Medical Exam (Medisys)

01-07-2011: Interview - APPROVED!

POE & POST INTERVIEW

01-16-2011: POE Highgate Springs, VT

01-22-2011: SSN Card Received

01-24-2011: Receipt Letter Arrived

02-10-2011: Biometrics Appointment (uncommon for CR-1)

03-15-2011: Welcome Notice Received

03-19-2011: 2 Year Green Card Arrived

Another small question lol.. it came up when talking about the wage thing.

I have full coverage through the military. If I get FT position with this place it says medical benefits package. Is it inappropriate to tell them I have full medical and they wont have to pay for medical for me if they hire me? Is that even legal for them to not pay for medical coverage for a full time person if they already have full coverage? My husband isn't sure of how that works and I don't really want to cost them extra if it can be avoided by telling them.

It isn't inappropriate to tell them. Legally they have to offer health care, whether you take it is up to you. Also, hiring you just because you're "cheaper" because you wouldn't take health care is technically illegal. It would be considered discrimination. Not to say it isn't an advantage to you, but health care runs about $600-$1800 per person per month depending on the type of plan you take. It wouldn't hurt to mention it, and it might help.

As far as wages go, when a company asks you how much you want, always throw that ball back into their court. Keep in mind what you want to be paid, but you want to feel out their range before you come out and ask for X amount of money. Say something like, I was curious to know what you were willing to pay. Always keep in mind that the company is trying to hire someone as cheap as they can, and you're trying to get as much as you can. That be said, they'll most likely offer you the lower spectrum of where they're willing to go. The point of wage negotiation is to find something in the middle that makes both parties happy.

Interviews can be a paid in the #### just for these reasons, but remember they asked you to come which means they're interested in the abilities and talents that you have. Never sell yourself short. :)

Good Luck!!

J-

Our Story

03-05-2008: Met Online (World of Warcraft)

04-19-2008: Met in Person and Started Dating

04-19-2009: Engaged

08-07-2009: Married at Laconia, New Hampshire

USCIS

10-21-2009: Mailed I-130

10-26-2009: NOA1

05-17-2010: NOA2

Our I-130 was approved in 203 days from our NOA1 date

NVC

05-25-2010: Called NVC to receive case # and submit emails

06-01-2010: AOS Fee Paid

06-09-2010: Opt-in accepted

06-16-2010: E-mailed I-864 package

06-23-2010: IV Fee Paid

07-12-2010: E-mailed DS230 package

08-04-2010: Email from NVC - Case Completed

NVC process completed in 71 days

CONSULATE

12-07-2011: Received consulate interview date

12-13-2010: Medical Exam (Medisys)

01-07-2011: Interview - APPROVED!

POE & POST INTERVIEW

01-16-2011: POE Highgate Springs, VT

01-22-2011: SSN Card Received

01-24-2011: Receipt Letter Arrived

02-10-2011: Biometrics Appointment (uncommon for CR-1)

03-15-2011: Welcome Notice Received

03-19-2011: 2 Year Green Card Arrived

Just an update for me. I got a call on Thurs night from the recruiter saying he had forewarded my resume to his boss and believes that I have a good chance. He said he would call me back last night but didnt. Im not too concerned though, he always seems to call 2 days after he says he is going to. The guy that he is hiring for is a very slow decision maker and I guess Im just waiting for that.

Cross your fingers please guys!! If I dont hear back by monday I will email him quick.

Invictus..

Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the Pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the Horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll.

I am the master of my fate:

I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.