Dave H

Working In U.S after visa is granted

14 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Just a quick question regarding work and looking for a job after moving to the U.S

Do you have to work in a similar job when you move to the U.S, or can you do anything?

Just asking as I work for BMW as a semi-skilled technician, but I don't really want to carry on doing this when I move, thats if my application is granted that is. I can put my hands and mind to most things, but I would love to open a English style cafe after a short time if possible.

Thanks

Dave

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

There is no occupation restriction when you enter the US - you do not have to continue the same type of job you had before you moved

As long as you have employment authorization, you can work where you choose

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

you can do whatever you want, as long as you have work authorisation!

the K1 dosnt give that too you, all it lets you do is get married. You can apply for a temporary work visa once you get there.

I read in a few places that some people ask at the airport when they land, and get given a temporary 90 day work visa. Thats what i'm going to do, the worst they can say is no.

K1 Visa - 2011

AP & EAD - 2012

Adjustment of Status - 2012

Removal of Conditions - 2014

Naturalization - Pending

Timeline

I read in a few places that some people ask at the airport when they land, and get given a temporary 90 day work visa. Thats what i'm going to do, the worst they can say is no.

Even if they say yes, that stamp is not work authorized. Some airports still give it but you CANNOT work with just that stamp in your passport. You need your EAD card to work or your green card

Good luck

USCIS
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011

Citizenship

Waited...

Timeline

It USED to be able to be used. The new I-9 form no longer accepts a 'work authorization' stamp. CBP will give them out but it can not be used for work. Check out the current I-9 form to see what will be accepted as work authorization, if you do not have one of those you cannot work

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdf

The I-551 stamp is the stamp that those entering on a CR-1 visas get because as soon as they enter the US they are US LPRs

Good luck

Edited by canadian_wife

USCIS
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011

Citizenship

Waited...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Depending on how soon one marries and files for AOS (as well as work authorization), it is possible to begin working in three to four months from entry into USA. My wife was a bit restless for those couple of months. However, she had the opportunity to apply to several jobs and synchronistically found one just a couple of days after received her EAD card.

All the best with your new business.

You can apply for any job you are qualified to do once you get your EAD. There are no restrictions whatsoever.

Hi all,

Just a quick question regarding work and looking for a job after moving to the U.S

Do you have to work in a similar job when you move to the U.S, or can you do anything?

Just asking as I work for BMW as a semi-skilled technician, but I don't really want to carry on doing this when I move, thats if my application is granted that is. I can put my hands and mind to most things, but I would love to open a English style cafe after a short time if possible.

Thanks

Dave

REALESTATE BROKER & MORTGAGE LOAN ORIGINATOR

STATE OF CALIFORNIA

12fa14f592.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Somewhat along the lines of this post..

For all of you who have moved here from England.. How does transferring your degree go? My fiance has a history degree which is pretty broad, but I was just curious as to how that whole transfer works. I am sure it varies wildly depending on career, etc, but I figured you'd have some insight!

09-10-10 | Sent 129F to Texas lockbox

09-13-10 | NOA1 received

02-03-11 | NOA2 finally received

02-08-11 | NOA2 hardcopy

02-17-11 | NVC received

02-25-11 | Consulate received

03-03-11 | Packet 3 received

03-04-11 | Packet 3 sent

03-11-11 | Medical

03-28-11 | Interview!

03-31-11 | Visa Received

04-15-11 | POE Chicago

Timeline

There are at least a dozen credential evaluation companies who can read your transcript and make a pronouncement on what the equivalent US degree/GPA is. Google "credential evaluation"

You would usually only need to do this if a specific institution wants to see a degree evaluation for some specific reason. For example, if you are attempting to apply for a specific professional accreditation (i.e a teaching or nursing license) or if you are applying to take a course of study, the specific institution or licensing board may request you get a credential evaluation done so they can know which credits to allow you to transfer, etc.

In these cases, the licensing board or institution will tell you which specific credential evaluation companies they accept. Do not have a credential evaluation done until some specific organization asks you to and tells you which company to use. If you just go off and have one done on your own, there's good odds that it may not be accepted by whoever you end up needing to show it to, and they cost a couple of hundred dollars.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Timeline

Personal example: I have degrees in computer science and education from a Canadian university. My resume records the degrees, just as an American's resume would. When I went to apply to the Utah State Office of Education to get a teaching license here, their website requested a credentials evaluation and gave me links to 5-6 different credential evaluation companies they accept. [On talking to them later, they might have accepted the degree at face value, because the Canadian university system is not materially different from the US system, but that just reinforces my point. Talk to the institution first.] On the other hand, when I later went to apply for a job as a software engineer, they accepted my degree just as if it was a US degree.

In your situation, a history degree from an accredited UK university should probably be accepted by most employers without needing a credentials evaluation report. OTOH, if your fiance wants to apply to a history graduate program here, the university may or may not want a credentials evaluation report so they can know which credits to accept. Or they might accept the degree at face value. It's up to them and the only way to know for sure is to ask the admissions officer of the specific institution.

Either way, you shouldn't drop coin for a credential evaluation report until some specific institution tells you to, and they will tell you which company to use.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.