purrr

NICOP

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I was born in Pakistan (naturalized in US in 2009). I know I am elligbile for NICOP. I have expired Pakistani passport and old NIC.

My husband is US born (not of Pakistani origin)- Can he get NICOP based on marriage to me?

Our daughter is a US born citizen. Can she get NICOP based on being child of Pakistani parent? btw, I did not register her with the Consulate.

We plan on traveling to Pakistan in May for my brother's wedding and would like to know if we can get NICOP's or do we all need to get visas?

CP for Mom in Pakistan:

11/3/2010: I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

11/5/2010 : Packet received at Lockbox

11/9/2010 : Acceptance email and text message received & case transfered to Vermont Service Center

11/13/2010: NOA1 received, now the wait begins....

11/16/2010: Case touched

01/04/2011: I130 Approved ! 57 days.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I was born in Pakistan (naturalized in US in 2009). I know I am elligbile for NICOP. I have expired Pakistani passport and old NIC.

My husband is US born (not of Pakistani origin)- Can he get NICOP based on marriage to me?

Our daughter is a US born citizen. Can she get NICOP based on being child of Pakistani parent? btw, I did not register her with the Consulate.

We plan on traveling to Pakistan in May for my brother's wedding and would like to know if we can get NICOP's or do we all need to get visas?

I dont think your husband can (Why would you want to :) )get it but your daughter can, check out the following website. I would even call the consulate to find out more. They are usually helpful

http://pakistanconsulateny.org/index.php?section=nadra_introd.html#NICOP2

UPDATE: Just saw you asked about travel. Your husband will definitely need the visa. Also, I think NICOP takes some time so apply ASAP

Edited by M + M

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I dont think your husband can (Why would you want to :) )get it but your daughter can, check out the following website. I would even call the consulate to find out more. They are usually helpful

http://pakistanconsu...rod.html#NICOP2

UPDATE: Just saw you asked about travel. Your husband will definitely need the visa. Also, I think NICOP takes some time so apply ASAP

Thanks M+M. I suppose because of the snow storm no one is in the Consulate, coz I'm getting voicemails all over the place...I'm looking at the application and I have some questions....

CP for Mom in Pakistan:

11/3/2010: I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

11/5/2010 : Packet received at Lockbox

11/9/2010 : Acceptance email and text message received & case transfered to Vermont Service Center

11/13/2010: NOA1 received, now the wait begins....

11/16/2010: Case touched

01/04/2011: I130 Approved ! 57 days.

• 2 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

http://pakistanconsu...rod.html#NICOP2

Hey I was just reading about your NICOP, I had the same situation. I went to New York to get my passport and NICOP. But my daughter couldn't get that because she is half white, hmmmm discrimination, I hate Pakistani policies. But if a Pakistani man will marry to a white girl. His kids are el legible. So Islam is color blind. Now next time when I will go Pakistan gonna try in a main office and if they said a same thing. I am going to ask them give me in writing. Gosh that is sucks.

Edited by Bushra

• 8 years later...

Old thread, but replying in case it helps others, as this topic comes up a lot in the Pakistani community

1.  There are two types of cards in Pakistan - National Identity Card for Overseas Pakistanis (NICOP) and Pakistan Origin Card (POC).  NICOP is full Pakistani citizenship (NICOP is used to renew a passport, etc).  POC provides visa-free travel benefits, ability to open a bank account, and own property, but it is NOT Pakistani citizenship.

2. OP, unless you explicitly renounce your Pakistani citizenship (which takes some time, and is done at the consulate/embassy), you are still a Pakistani citizen, and hence eligible to hold a NICOP card.

3. Only females can obtain Pakistani citizenship by marriage, and even that is a long, bureaucratic, and complicated process, and only applies to people residing in Pakistan.  So your husband cannot obtain citizenship or a NICOP through you.

4.  If your spouse was of Pakistani origin, he may qualify for a NICOP or POC on his own.  NICOP (or POC) if he has a parent born in Pakistan.  Anything further, he would qualify for POC.  

5.  If your spouse has no Pakistani ancestry, then he can obtain a POC through you after you have been married for five years (new rule, it used to be immediate, but what can you do)

6.  Your children would be eligible for either NICOP or POC.  Which one you want is a personal decision.  Obviously there are pros and cons to either.

Obligatory disclaimer:  Not a lawyer.  Posts are written based on my own research and based on whatever information is provided.  Consult an immigration attorney regarding your specific case.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.