Fettman

Exchanging Money in Russia

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Anyone have any advice about the best way to exchange money in Russia? In Germany I used my ATM card to get Euros, is that also generally available in Russia (i.e. Moscow) or should I bring money with me to exchange there, etc.?

Any information or experiences would be appreciated.

"He who does not take risks, does not drink the champagne" - Russian Proverb

3/4/08 - I-129F mailed
3/11/08 - NOA1 received
5/19/08 - NOA2 received
8/19/08 - Interview

APPROVED

9/30/08 - Arrival to US
10/25/08 - Married
2/7/11 - Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I recommend withdrawing money from the ATM machines with your bank card. I use bank of america and had no problem getting money there. In addition you get the best exchange rate this way.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I always took cash and exchanged it myself. Was able to shop around and get a better rate than with ATMs. My ATM card was my back up but rarely used it.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Timeline

Anyone have any advice about the best way to exchange money in Russia? In Germany I used my ATM card to get Euros, is that also generally available in Russia (i.e. Moscow) or should I bring money with me to exchange there, etc.?

I can't comment on the comparison between exchange rates, but I always took my visa ATM card and used it to withdraw money from my account into rubles. I don't think there will be a problem with this in any of the major cities and certainly not in Moscow. In addition to the exchange rate, there is usually a transaction charge, but that is determined by your bank. If you want to go this route, check things with your bank. Make sure they know you are going so they don't turn your card off due to some fraud alert (more likely in Russia than in Germany).

If you want to go the route of bringing cash and exchanging, consider that in the recent past couple months, there has been a major crackdown in Russia on freelance currency exchange kiosks. You are now looking at a lot less options, probably at a bank. That makes things more difficult and will cut down your ability to negotiate rates (but it also means they will probably offer a reasonable rate from the get-go). You will probably need to provide your passport (which they will make a photocopy of) if you want to exchange currency in a bank.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Yes, withdraw money at the ATM. Most of them have no fees for this. Always keep some Rubles if you will be traveling there so you will have some cash when you arrive, enough for a car to get you out of the airport. I advise against using ATMs at the airport.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I used the ATM machines and the machines will tell you what bank it is and you select the language you want to use. You will have to stand in line with the Russians as they are using them just like we do.

First email 2004-09-05

Visit her in Russia 2009-09-18 to 2009-11-02

I-129F Sent : 2010-07-14

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-08-11

Touch : 2010-08-18

NOA2 :2010-01-13

Timeline

I used the ATM machines and the machines will tell you what bank it is and you select the language you want to use. You will have to stand in line with the Russians as they are using them just like we do.

Really? I they have technology in Russia? I thought it was some backwards country that was still using the telegraph and the barter system to pay for things... I was planning on bringing several chickens for this purpose...

It has been 9 years since I have been to Russia and I wanted to find out what people's experiences have been recently. I was more concerned about fees and exchange rates with ATMs and if anyone had any problems.

3/4/08 - I-129F mailed
3/11/08 - NOA1 received
5/19/08 - NOA2 received
8/19/08 - Interview

APPROVED

9/30/08 - Arrival to US
10/25/08 - Married

Timeline

Really? I they have technology in Russia? I thought it was some backwards country that was still using the telegraph and the barter system to pay for things... I was planning on bringing several chickens for this purpose...

It has been 9 years since I have been to Russia and I wanted to find out what people's experiences have been recently. I was more concerned about fees and exchange rates with ATMs and if anyone had any problems.

Yeah, fees are determined by the bank that issued you the card (and can be substantial). But if you get the right card from the right bank they can be negligible or 0.

Timeline

Our son goes to school in Russia and until recently (when his ATM card got stolen) we were depositing money in his account here and he was withdrawing it there. No bank fees on the Russian end at the bank he uses and his bank here charges him something less than 1%. The exchange rate is pretty much the "official" rate.

We always keep a few hundred Hryvnia and Rubles when we come back as "starter" money to get us out of the airport. Otherwise we just use ATMs in either Ukraine or Russia

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I appreciate all the feedback and advice. Thanks for the help!

3/4/08 - I-129F mailed
3/11/08 - NOA1 received
5/19/08 - NOA2 received
8/19/08 - Interview

APPROVED

9/30/08 - Arrival to US
10/25/08 - Married

Timeline

You do need to be aware that at the very least you should let the bank know you will be there or your card may not work. Some banks won't allow atm card use at all over there. I opened an acount just to give the ATM card to my fiancee and then found even with notice they would not allow use there.

One other thing, if you do take cash, make sure the bills are perfect. Even a crease from a fold or a mark from one of the pens they use to test a bill to see if it counterfit will make the bill virtually unusalble in the FSU. Sometimes you may find you can use it but won't get full value, other times you can't use them at all.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

Timeline

You do need to be aware that at the very least you should let the bank know you will be there or your card may not work. Some banks won't allow atm card use at all over there. I opened an acount just to give the ATM card to my fiancee and then found even with notice they would not allow use there.

One other thing, if you do take cash, make sure the bills are perfect. Even a crease from a fold or a mark from one of the pens they use to test a bill to see if it counterfit will make the bill virtually unusalble in the FSU. Sometimes you may find you can use it but won't get full value, other times you can't use them at all.

:thumbs:

all true!

Gary And Alla

YES!

Also, in my experience, it's ~safer~ to go to an ATM that's physically attached to/inside of a banking establishment. I'd avoid using ATMs found in other "unofficial" locations such as in a cafe or on the street or something. And there's a lot of things that are still "Cash Only" so it's best to get a bunch of rubles out at once and then keep a stash of it in a safe place (other than on you/in your wallet).

As of:

June 26, 2012 - The Hubbs received his 10-year Permanent Residency Card (aka THE Greencard) in the mail today!

At long last, this highly stressful leg of our journey has come to a close - for now - and we couldn't be more grateful and appreciative for all the tremendous help and support here on VJ! Without VisaJourney I doubt we would be where my husband and I are today! Thanks to all!

wub.pngwub.pngwub.png

<333

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My ex's mama had an ATM card that I got just for her and she (well her granddaughter) would draw her monthly support with no problems and a small fee from Banknorth.

Now I live in Ukraine and use my bankomat exclusively. Banknorth knows the card is here and I gave them the expiration date of the card for the end date they demanded, but my card from People's United (I didn't report overseas use to them) also works fine with no flags. I know a guy from RMP (GG) that ALWAYS has problems with his HSBC card EVERY TIME he tells them he's going intl. and never has a problem when he doesn't say anything.

За Жезни С Смехом

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.