10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello all, I want to first thank everyone, especially the administrators, for this site.

Second, although I've read all of the data on the I-134, I am still at a loss as to what the requirements are for my income. I will be sponsoring my fiance' who is in the Philippines. I make good money, but I'm self employed and really have no assets or savings... I think that I make plenty, but I am concerned that they will see that I'm not good at saving money and will refuse us. I can easily provide my monthly bank deposits, but won't have much else to show... Any thoughts from the group? I'm not sure what the poverty level is right now, but I think I could easily support 4 or 5 people, if I had to. I have 3 children as dependents at the present time. Also, should I get a life insurance policy with her name on it? I was thinking of doing that anyway.

Thanks for the advice!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

moving thread to:

US Embassy and Consulate Discussion

This is the place to post your experiences or questions related to this last step before moving to the US. Topics relating to I-134's, packets sent from consulate and medical & police certificates should be posted here

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Hello all, I want to first thank everyone, especially the administrators, for this site.

Second, although I've read all of the data on the I-134, I am still at a loss as to what the requirements are for my income. I will be sponsoring my fiance' who is in the Philippines. I make good money, but I'm self employed and really have no assets or savings... I think that I make plenty, but I am concerned that they will see that I'm not good at saving money and will refuse us. I can easily provide my monthly bank deposits, but won't have much else to show... Any thoughts from the group? I'm not sure what the poverty level is right now, but I think I could easily support 4 or 5 people, if I had to. I have 3 children as dependents at the present time. Also, should I get a life insurance policy with her name on it? I was thinking of doing that anyway.

Thanks for the advice!

For your household of 5 including you, three children and the intending immigrant, the current 125% of poverty level is $32,237. You'll need to show at least that number on line 22 of your most recent tax return. Line 22 is also the number you indicate as your "current income". Yes, really.

If income is sufficient, you may simply leave all asset related questions blank. If you state any assets, you'll need to document them. You'll soon be filing a tax return. I suggest you make sure line 22 shows sufficient income.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

For your household of 5 including you, three children and the intending immigrant, the current 125% of poverty level is $32,237. You'll need to show at least that number on line 22 of your most recent tax return. Line 22 is also the number you indicate as your "current income". Yes, really.

If income is sufficient, you may simply leave all asset related questions blank. If you state any assets, you'll need to document them. You'll soon be filing a tax return. I suggest you make sure line 22 shows sufficient income.

OK thank you all so much. I'm self employed but my monthly bank deposits, for the last (I'm going to go back) 3 years are quite sufficient to cover 5 people. I'm hoping that the letter from my bank, copies of my bank statements and my tax returns will suffice... Being self-employed, I don't really have an "employer", though I am solely contracted to one company.

I truly appreciate the help!

Will

Timeline

OK thank you all so much. I'm self employed but my monthly bank deposits, for the last (I'm going to go back) 3 years are quite sufficient to cover 5 people. I'm hoping that the letter from my bank, copies of my bank statements and my tax returns will suffice... Being self-employed, I don't really have an "employer", though I am solely contracted to one company.

I truly appreciate the help!

Will

Expect your hopes to be dashed. Line 22 on the 1040 form trumps all. Bank letters do NOT overcome the line 22 number. A high average balance in the bank can be helpful but "deposits" are not "income". Line 22 is "income".

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

I don't see a line 22... on the I 134... I see line 11, but that's it???

Since I'm self employed and make decent money, I don't know how else to prove my income...

--Bank letter

--Bank statements

--W2's

???

Since I'm self employed and make decent money, I don't know how else to prove my income...

--Bank letter

--Bank statements

--W2's

???

Line 22 on your tax return, form 1040

If you really want to lock down your proof of income, proved TAX TRANSCRIPTS. they are free, and you can order them from the IRS to be delivered in a couple weeks by snail mail, or within a couple minutes via fax. In fact, most consulates expect to see this, so don't skip it lightly. In order to get them just google "irs tax transcript" right at the top there.

If you don't want to do tax transcripts (I don't know why you wouldn't, they are free, easy, and complete), then you need to provide complete copies of your returns, including all schedules and associated W-2s, 1099s, etc.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Timeline

Line 22 on your tax return, form 1040

If you really want to lock down your proof of income, proved TAX TRANSCRIPTS. they are free, and you can order them from the IRS to be delivered in a couple weeks by snail mail, or within a couple minutes via fax. In fact, most consulates expect to see this, so don't skip it lightly. In order to get them just google "irs tax transcript" right at the top there.

If you don't want to do tax transcripts (I don't know why you wouldn't, they are free, easy, and complete), then you need to provide complete copies of your returns, including all schedules and associated W-2s, 1099s, etc.

OK thank you very much for that help! I will look the transcripts up today... that's great news. I like the "fast" part.

Wow, great information... Thanks a TON!

Timeline

--Bank letter

--Bank statements

--W2's

???

I said, " Line 22 on the 1040 form trumps all."

OK thank you very much for that help! I will look the transcripts up today... that's great news. I like the "fast" part.

Wow, great information... Thanks a TON!

On a transcript you state your income as the transcript does on the line called "total income". It will be the same number as you find on line 22 of the 1040.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

seems pretty cut and dry. thanks again for the information. I've looked over everything on all of the forms and feel completely confident in the numbers.

Thanks again for each bit of advice!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.