Simmy

interview letter requests me to bring everything i've already submitted!

17 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Great news! We've received our interview NOA (I-797C) -- just 4 months from our date of filing. :dance:

I'm wondering though -- in the letter they tell us to bring:

1. a list of documents, all of which I submitted in my original I-130 / I-485 AOS application
  2. included in the above, "supporting evidence for the relationship"
  3. original and copy of each supporting document submitted with application
  4. there is also a separate paper asking with respect to my arrest, "original official statement by arresting agency or applicable court order confirming that no charges were fined"

First of all, #1 and #3 are overlapping. ie. everything they ask for in #1 I already submitted. So just to be sure, I don't actually need to bring THREE copies of each document they reference in #1, do I? (one to meet the list of documents in #1, and another to to meet the requirement as stated in #3, and yet another original for each that exists?) I'm totally confused by this. I mean, they have ALL my documents already. Do I really need to bring a duplicate of the whole application again?

Secondly, I already supplied the info for #2 in the form of a) pictures, b) chat log transcripts between my wife and I, and c) affadavits from friends and family. Would the existing evidence suffice or should I bring *more* evidence, eg. more pictures, joint bills (now that we have them), and/or extra affadavits (already submitted 6 of them, one of which was notarized).

Thirdly, with respect to #4, is it normal that they would insert a separate paper specifically asking for such? Note that I already provided this information as well in my original application (in the form of a letter from the arresting agency) but since the arrest never went through, they (the police) didn't have *exactly* what was asked for, just something very close. I'm concerned that the separate paper asking for this (which, again, I have already submitted), implies that they are particularly concerned about this -- or is that just standard procedure? There's really not much more I can come up with proving that the charges were dropped.

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Simmy

Feb 2010 - met online

March 2010 - vacationed in Mexico together

April 2010 - Samuel visits Catherine in US for one month

July to December 15, 2010- Samuel visits Catherine in US via B2 visa

August 10, 2010 - married in Medford, OR

September 10, 2010 - submitted AOS application via USPS Priority

September 13, 2010 - AOS package marked as delivered by USPS

September 20, 2010 - electronic notification received from Chicago lockbox

October 20, 2010 - biometrics appointment in Portland, OR

November 15, 2010 - Advanced Parole approved (took 66 days)

December 15, 2010 - January 18 -- Samuel and Catherine visit Samuel's friends in Canada

January 19, 2011 - AOS interview in Portland, OR -- interviewer gives verbal notice of approval (4 months since AOS submission)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Great news! We've received our interview NOA (I-797C) -- just 4 months from our date of filing. :dance:

I'm wondering though -- in the letter they tell us to bring:

1. a list of documents, all of which I submitted in my original I-130 / I-485 AOS application
  2. included in the above, "supporting evidence for the relationship"
  3. original and copy of each supporting document submitted with application
  4. there is also a separate paper asking with respect to my arrest, "original official statement by arresting agency or applicable court order confirming that no charges were fined"

First of all, #1 and #3 are overlapping. ie. everything they ask for in #1 I already submitted. So just to be sure, I don't actually need to bring THREE copies of each document they reference in #1, do I? (one to meet the list of documents in #1, and another to to meet the requirement as stated in #3, and yet another original for each that exists?) I'm totally confused by this. I mean, they have ALL my documents already. Do I really need to bring a duplicate of the whole application again?

Secondly, I already supplied the info for #2 in the form of a) pictures, b) chat log transcripts between my wife and I, and c) affadavits from friends and family. Would the existing evidence suffice or should I bring *more* evidence, eg. more pictures, joint bills (now that we have them), and/or extra affadavits (already submitted 6 of them, one of which was notarized).

Thirdly, with respect to #4, is it normal that they would insert a separate paper specifically asking for such? Note that I already provided this information as well in my original application (in the form of a letter from the arresting agency) but since the arrest never went through, they (the police) didn't have *exactly* what was asked for, just something very close. I'm concerned that the separate paper asking for this (which, again, I have already submitted), implies that they are particularly concerned about this -- or is that just standard procedure? There's really not much more I can come up with proving that the charges were dropped.

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Simmy

I know what your going threw with #4, I also got arrested for something minor,since it was 27 years ago there is absolutely no records of that arrest anywhere,believe me i tried finding them,and I also got something similiar saying nothing could be found.I also got that white letter saying to bring all court documents to the interview,Then It's anxiety all over again knowing that there's nothing more that you can show them..The lady asked about it at the AOS interview and It wasen't a big deal to her..If It makes you feel better many people get that letter asking for court evidence who don't have any criminal records at all..Don't stress,you should be fine.

Edited by joevegas

Timeline

That's *great* to hear, Joe, thank you! That pretty well nabs #4.

Feb 2010 - met online

December 15, 2010 - January 18 -- Samuel and Catherine visit Samuel's friends in Canada

January 19, 2011 - AOS interview in Portland, OR -- interviewer gives verbal notice of approval (4 months since AOS submission)

All of those things say "unless already submitted." Bring any new evidence you have of the bona fide nature of your relationship, and bring all the originals of what you sent originally in case they want to verify them. It is a form letter and everyone gets the same, including the part about court records.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Oh, excellent then! I didn't catch the "if already submitted" part. (I'm in Canada on my Advanced Parole, and I had my friend in the States read the letter to me over the phone.)

Indeed, the only original document in my entire application is the Marriage Certificate (for which I actually sent the notarized version already), and our passports. The rest were all copies, including my birth certificate, for which I do not actually have an original (it's with my mother. How important is it that I get that?). So I'll be coming to the interview with nothing more than a few printouts of some joint bills and a few new pictures, both to supplement the bona fide marriage docs I've already sent in -- plus of course our passports. Does that seem reasonable?

Also, it asks that I bring a copy of the I-797C NOA letter itself. But I'd have to get that couriered from my friend in the US. How important is that? Would a fax of the letter suffice, rather than the original letter?

Thanks,

Simmy

Feb 2010 - met online

I'm confused. You have your interview in the States, why would your friend need to courier your NOA to you? Why can't you get it when you return back to the States before your interview? Why does your friend have that doc and not your husband?

As to the evidence you plan to bring, it sounds basically okay. I'd bring a copy of the whole packet you sent in as well, and any EAD card you received. (I assume from Canada you have no I-94). There is a chance that they would want to look at your BC and if you don't have it then they may issue an RFE. Chances of them wanting to actually see your BC are slim, but possible. Also, if you can, ask for your original marriage certificate back! Hopefully they can replace with a photocopy for their file, because you didn't need to give up the original! lol Good luck.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Timeline

Very helpful answers again, thanks!

I-797C: The interview is in Portland and our house is in Ashland, at the other (southern) end of the state. I'm currently on Vancouver Island. Portland is halfway between here and Ashland, so I'm trying to avoid a 10-hour extra drive (5 hours in each direction from Portland to Ashland and back) by having the I-797C (NOA) letter couriered to me. Would you agree then that I should absolutely have this couriered (as opposed to not bringing it at all)?

Marriage certificate: I thought I was going the extra mile by sending the original certified marriage certificate in with the original submission. Alas, unless I make that 10-hour detour, I can't make it to the courthouse to get an original copy of the certificate. Do you think it's necessary, seeing as to how I can bring a photocopy (which shows the certification stamp) and that they already have the original?

Birth certificate: This would actually be very hard for me to come up with (they're at my mom's in Toronto, but my mom is visiting South Africa currently). Are you reasonably confident when you say you don't think they'll ask to see it? Honestly, I'd hate to get RFE'd, so if there was more than a 10% chance, I'd find someone to go into my mom's place and courier it to me from Toronto.

Cheers and thanks again,

Simmy

ps. just so you know, I am the husband, not the wife. ;)

Feb 2010 - met online

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I-797C: The interview is in Portland and our house is in Ashland, at the other (southern) end of the state. I'm currently on Vancouver Island. Portland is halfway between here and Ashland, so I'm trying to avoid a 10-hour extra drive (5 hours in each direction from Portland to Ashland and back) by having the I-797C (NOA) letter couriered to me. Would you agree then that I should absolutely have this couriered (as opposed to not bringing it at all)?

Marriage certificate: I thought I was going the extra mile by sending the original certified marriage certificate in with the original submission. Alas, unless I make that 10-hour detour, I can't make it to the courthouse to get an original copy of the certificate. Do you think it's necessary, seeing as to how I can bring a photocopy (which shows the certification stamp) and that they already have the original?

Birth certificate: This would actually be very hard for me to come up with (they're at my mom's in Toronto, but my mom is visiting South Africa currently). Are you reasonably confident when you say you don't think they'll ask to see it? Honestly, I'd hate to get RFE'd, so if there was more than a 10% chance, I'd find someone to go into my mom's place and courier it to me from Toronto.

Cheers and thanks again,

Simmy

U Must go with your Birth certificate. It's the only document that actually confirms your true birth date and not your passport or DL.

Cheers and thanks again,

Simmy

I think you need your interview letter to be let in to the building (is this the I-797 you are talking about? 797 "Notice of Action" is used for various steps in the process). Are you both abroad right now? Sorry, I thought just you were in Canada for some reason.

I don't know any percentage for asking to see the original BC. It all depends on whether they were satisfied with the copy they saw. I had my husband's parents search for the original and they sent it to us, but it wasn't asked for at the interview.

You already submitted an "original" marriage certificate (a certified copy) so no need to get another one. I'd ask for it back!

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Timeline

Birth certificate -- it sounds unlikely that they're going to ask for it, but it would be a deal-breaker if they did and I didn't have it, so I've managed to get my sister to mail it to me. Thanks y'all for your feedback on that.

I-797C -- it would be considerably simpler for me to have a scanned copy of the letter emailed to me. I'm pretty sure this would be enough for me to get into the building. What do you think?

Simmy

Feb 2010 - met online

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Birth certificate -- it sounds unlikely that they're going to ask for it, but it would be a deal-breaker if they did and I didn't have it, so I've managed to get my sister to mail it to me. Thanks y'all for your feedback on that.

I-797C -- it would be considerably simpler for me to have a scanned copy of the letter emailed to me. I'm pretty sure this would be enough for me to get into the building. What do you think?

Simmy

You will need to get a Long form Birth Certificate and arrange getting it as soon as possible. I went to my interview with my short form (wallet size) BC and it was ok at the interview. Two weeks after the interview I received a letter asking for a Long Form BC and they gave me two weeks to sent it. Beneficiaries need to provide a LFBC in order for USCIS to process their case.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

You will need to get a Long form Birth Certificate and arrange getting it as soon as possible. I went to my interview with my short form (wallet size) BC and it was ok at the interview. Two weeks after the interview I received a letter asking for a Long Form BC and they gave me two weeks to sent it. Beneficiaries need to provide a LFBC in order for USCIS to process their case.

I think it's random if they ask for this. I sent in my short card style one with my paperwork (front and back) and never got asked about it again. Not even at the interview.

Just wanted to wish you luck - it sounds like you have everything in order! :thumbs:

/starburst :star:

AOS Short Version:

06/26/09 - Mailed package to Chicago Lockbox!

07/07/09 - NOA's Arrive for AP, AOS & EAD [dated 07/01/09]

07/17/09 - Biometrics Completed [ Completed in 17 Days ]

08/12/09 - EAD APPROVED! Card Ordered! [Approved in 47 Days]

08/20/09 - Interview notice arrived dated 08/18/09 - Sept 24th/09

08/21/09 - Got EAD Card in the mail!! :D

09/24/09 - Interview Date: 9:00am - APPROVED

10/03/09 -Received GC!!!!!

Total Days from NOA1 to Approval : 86 Days

ROC:

04/01/11 - Preparing for ROC currently

06/27/11 - ROC Mailed!

07/02/11 - NOA1 Arrived [dated 06/30/11]

07/13/11 - Biometrics letter arrived [08/01/11]

10/31/11 - Final Approval!

11/04/11 - Received new card today.

Total Days from NOA1 to Approval: 125 Days

Next Step will be citizenship in June 2012!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I think it's random if they ask for this. I sent in my short card style one with my paperwork (front and back) and never got asked about it again. Not even at the interview.

Just wanted to wish you luck - it sounds like you have everything in order! :thumbs:

/starburst :star:

It's not random I have read many post about people needing to get a LFBC. I also posted on the forum after my letter about the request for the LFBC and many responded that it was the norm and they had to provide one as well. I think your situation in what BC you provided and how they processed your case was unique but not the norm.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.