UnhappyVictimAmer

Co Sponsor paperwork from a relative

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Indonesia
Timeline

My mom agreed to co sponsor but there are some problems. I am applying for IR1/CR1 and filed it in the U.S. two months ago. I have received the NOA1 (or at least I think I did, I have no idea where to find what all this lingo means) I received the form stating that they received the I130 and gave a priority date of Oct 21, 2010. My bank statement shows that the check was cashed. I am a U.S. citizen living with my spouse in her country on KITAS visa. Unemployed since June. I think I am going to let the process continue at the USCIS instead of DFC over here at the embassy. Still undecided.

My mom continues to be my biggest problem though. She agreed to co sponsor my wife but I'm having problems getting her to obtain all the documents. She is older and her ability is limited even with a computer. Has anyone had this problem before? To make matters worse she divorced and remarried so our last names are different and we will have to somehow find paperwork to prove that I'm her son. I do not think her small social security and pension will be enough so she will need to use her investments. She would rather use her house (manufactured but top of the line on a golf course) but she would have to have it appraised.

Oct. 2009 - Met on Facebook(I found her through a friend)

July 2010 - Married

Oct. 2010 - Filed I-130 with USCIS

Nov. 2010 - Official permission to reside in Indonesia (KITAS)

Jan. 2011 - Medical Exam and Vaccinations completed

Jan. 2011 - Cancelled I-130

Jan. 2011 - Filed DCF (Direct Consular Filing)

Jan. 2011 - I-130 Approved

Jan. 2011 - Rec. (packet 3)instructions

Jan. 2011 - Gathering Documents

Feb. 2011 - Emailed Embassy

Feb. 2011 - Interview Date Sent

APPROVED!!

POE Atlanta

Took 32 days from the filing of the petition to getting visa

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Last names being different doesn't matter, as she wouldn't even need to be a relative to co-sponsor.

It doesn't matter whether she puts her house or investments on the form, whatever assets put her over the 125% poverty line times 5, though some embassies do not like taking a sponsor's only house, as it is their home, especially in the current economic climate. Should she be called upon as a co-sponsor, ie to pay the government money, all her assets are on the line, no matter what she put on the form. Getting the house appraised should not be difficult- if she cannot organise it, you may be able to look at Yellow Pages online, find an assessor and make the phone call. For the investments, her bank/ investment firm should be able to send out a letter stating current assets.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

My mom agreed to co sponsor but there are some problems. I am applying for IR1/CR1 and filed it in the U.S. two months ago. I have received the NOA1 (or at least I think I did, I have no idea where to find what all this lingo means) I received the form stating that they received the I130 and gave a priority date of Oct 21, 2010. My bank statement shows that the check was cashed. I am a U.S. citizen living with my spouse in her country on KITAS visa. Unemployed since June. I think I am going to let the process continue at the USCIS instead of DFC over here at the embassy. Still undecided.

My mom continues to be my biggest problem though. She agreed to co sponsor my wife but I'm having problems getting her to obtain all the documents. She is older and her ability is limited even with a computer. Has anyone had this problem before? To make matters worse she divorced and remarried so our last names are different and we will have to somehow find paperwork to prove that I'm her son. I do not think her small social security and pension will be enough so she will need to use her investments. She would rather use her house (manufactured but top of the line on a golf course) but she would have to have it appraised.

For assets to be considered, they must be reasonably able to be liquidated within a year without undue harm to the sponsor or family members. An elderly parent's primary residence certainly wouldn't qualify on that basis. If she has other more liquid assets, it's better to use them.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Last names being different doesn't matter, as she wouldn't even need to be a relative to co-sponsor.

It doesn't matter whether she puts her house or investments on the form, whatever assets put her over the 125% poverty line times 5, though some embassies do not like taking a sponsor's only house, as it is their home, especially in the current economic climate. Should she be called upon as a co-sponsor, ie to pay the government money, all her assets are on the line, no matter what she put on the form. Getting the house appraised should not be difficult- if she cannot organise it, you may be able to look at Yellow Pages online, find an assessor and make the phone call. For the investments, her bank/ investment firm should be able to send out a letter stating current assets.

Thanks, that's a good idea to call myself to have the house appraised. I also just found another useful tool called skyfex at www.skyfex.com it's a remote pc access service for free. By sending my mom an email with a link to click on from skyfex I can view her computer's screen and even use my mouse to click on things. My plan would be to have her scan documents with the printer and then I could then read and even email them to myself using the mouse and my keyboard to attach a file to an email. While most documents will have to be originals for NVC this still can help me because currently she does not know how to email me copies of anything so it's taking about a month for me to receive things.

As for the issue of what assets my mom wants to use, I've tried to explain to her about how it doesn't matter but she insists that she's worried about theft of her assets and I wish there was a way to show her otherwise. She does have a valid concern about sending account info by mail over here to this country because they've opened up our mail before giving it to us.

And while it's probably not the best option to use her house to show as an asset, I thought I read somewhere that it's acceptable.

July 2010 - Married

APPROVED!!

POE Atlanta

Timeline

Thanks, that's a good idea to call myself to have the house appraised. I also just found another useful tool called skyfex at www.skyfex.com it's a remote pc access service for free. By sending my mom an email with a link to click on from skyfex I can view her computer's screen and even use my mouse to click on things. My plan would be to have her scan documents with the printer and then I could then read and even email them to myself using the mouse and my keyboard to attach a file to an email. While most documents will have to be originals for NVC this still can help me because currently she does not know how to email me copies of anything so it's taking about a month for me to receive things.

As for the issue of what assets my mom wants to use, I've tried to explain to her about how it doesn't matter but she insists that she's worried about theft of her assets and I wish there was a way to show her otherwise. She does have a valid concern about sending account info by mail over here to this country because they've opened up our mail before giving it to us.

And while it's probably not the best option to use her house to show as an asset, I thought I read somewhere that it's acceptable.

You can show the house, certainly, but what you NEED is for the equity to be considered. It won't be. Don't beat your head against the wall. Find a way that will actually work for you.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

You can show the house, certainly, but what you NEED is for the equity to be considered. It won't be. Don't beat your head against the wall. Find a way that will actually work for you.

Huh? The house is paid for and doesn't have any lien or mortgage on it. However I will consider your advice because I don't want to cause any delays.

Question,

Can my mom or I skip filling out our income part if we are going to base the sponsorship solely on our assets? I'm starting to worry about the timing of our case falling right during the tax filing season. It might be a problem for me to complete mine while I'm living out of the country and I may have to ask for an extension. Has anyone ran into this?

July 2010 - Married

APPROVED!!

POE Atlanta

Timeline

Huh? The house is paid for and doesn't have any lien or mortgage on it. However I will consider your advice because I don't want to cause any delays.

Question,

Can my mom or I skip filling out our income part if we are going to base the sponsorship solely on our assets? I'm starting to worry about the timing of our case falling right during the tax filing season. It might be a problem for me to complete mine while I'm living out of the country and I may have to ask for an extension. Has anyone ran into this?

You seem to have skipped over what I told you they consider as liquid assets. It's that they be reasonably expected to liquidate them within a year without undue harm to the sponsor or family members. It is NOT reasonable to expect your elderly parent can liquidate their primary residence without undue harm. Therefore, THAT asset is not liquid, meaning not going to be considered in qualifying.

It's an affidavit. If income is enough you can leave the asset sections blank but it doesn't work the other way. They want to know the income, its source or sources and documentation thereof. You're grasping at straws. The wiser choice is to get your head around the realities and find a solution with those realities in mind.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

I've got all the assets in order with supporting documents for the joint sponsor except those attachment forms that go with the copy of the tax returns. I've struggled to get my mom to get copies of her last tax returns from her accountant she finally managed to get them but now I realize that they did not include the attached forms like 1099's etc. She is collecting social security and my deceased dad's pension but Since we are only relying on her assets and not her income, is there going to be a problem when we go for the interview if we don't show those forms and instead show just the tax returns?

July 2010 - Married

APPROVED!!

POE Atlanta

Timeline

I've got all the assets in order with supporting documents for the joint sponsor except those attachment forms that go with the copy of the tax returns. I've struggled to get my mom to get copies of her last tax returns from her accountant she finally managed to get them but now I realize that they did not include the attached forms like 1099's etc. She is collecting social security and my deceased dad's pension but Since we are only relying on her assets and not her income, is there going to be a problem when we go for the interview if we don't show those forms and instead show just the tax returns?

Yes, there will be a problem. At least one complete tax return or tax return transcript is required. She can order the tax transcript but since it's not time for the affidavit of support yet, I would wait and get a complete copy of the full 2010 tax return.

You keep using terms like "using" and "relying on" with regard to the affidavit. The key is to accurately complete the affidavit and properly document both the income and assets, then let the Consular officer "rely on" what they decide to rely on. I've given you some information about what they are unlikely to "rely on" which is the equity in an elderly parent's primary residence.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

Yes, there will be a problem. At least one complete tax return or tax return transcript is required. She can order the tax transcript but since it's not time for the affidavit of support yet, I would wait and get a complete copy of the full 2010 tax return.

You keep using terms like "using" and "relying on" with regard to the affidavit. The key is to accurately complete the affidavit and properly document both the income and assets, then let the Consular officer "rely on" what they decide to rely on. I've given you some information about what they are unlikely to "rely on" which is the equity in an elderly parent's primary residence.

OK get the house out of your head already. Yes it is time because I'm filing DCF and all is to be completed now. Is there any evidence/examples of anyone being rejected because their joint sponsor didn't include a 1099 form with a copy of their tax record and had no intentions on using income listed on the tax record, only cash assets that are verified more than 10 times the 125% poverty guidelines.

July 2010 - Married

APPROVED!!

POE Atlanta

Timeline

OK get the house out of your head already. Yes it is time because I'm filing DCF and all is to be completed now. Is there any evidence/examples of anyone being rejected because their joint sponsor didn't include a 1099 form with a copy of their tax record and had no intentions on using income listed on the tax record, only cash assets that are verified more than 10 times the 125% poverty guidelines.

It wouldn't cause a denial, just a request for complete tax return or transcript. You don't choose what is "used". You complete the affidavit and it gets evaluated. If you've documented the assets and have at least the one required tax return, you should be OK. Getting a tax return transcript can be accomplished online, at an IRS office or by phone.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.