Sara & Mark

K-1, K-3 OR IR-1, Which Is Best

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Ive been reading through all the forums, Im trying to decide which Visa best suites my needs, perhaps someone can provide me with some direction as to best and quickest Visa to choose…..here is my situation.

Im Canadian born, living in the USA for the last 16 years on a Permanent Resident Alien Card and Ill be a citizen of the USA on January 14th, 2011.

My girlfriend was born in Iran, she currently lives in Sweden, she has lived in Sweden for 21 years and is a Swedish citizen.

- Is it best to get married in the USA, have her return to Sweden to take care of personal affairs then bring her to the USA on a K-3 Visa?

- Would it be better to bring her across on a K-1 Visa then get married in the USA, have her return to Sweden to take care of personal affairs and return to the USA?

- Is there another Visa that better suites our needs such as an IR-1 Visa?

Any advise or assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by ML0463

vsi7c4s9mj0l.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

IR-1 is not for someone who just married.

CR-1 is for someone who just married.

K-3 is no longer processed at the NVC.

So that makes your options:

K-1 or CR-1

K-1 she cannot return home for some months after entering because she has to apply for AOS. Then wait for her AP papers or her green card to be able to travel. Can be 4-5month wait.

CR-1 takes about a year to complete, some are completed faster.

Read the guides on VJ top blue bar click the guides button and check them out, they are very helpful.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Ive been reading through all the forums, Im trying to decide which Visa best suites my needs, perhaps someone can provide me with some direction as to best and quickest Visa to choose…..here is my situation.

Im Canadian born, living in the USA for the last 16 years on a Permanent Resident Alien Card and Ill be a citizen of the USA on January 14th, 2011.

My girlfriend was born in Iran, she currently lives in Sweden, she has lived in Sweden for 21 years and is a Swedish citizen.

- Is it best to get married in the USA, have her return to Sweden to take care of personal affairs then bring her to the USA on a K-3 Visa?

- Would it be better to bring her across on a K-1 Visa then get married in the USA, have her return to Sweden to take care of personal affairs and return to the USA?

- Is there another Visa that better suites our needs such as an IR-1 Visa?

Any advise or assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Just my opinion,go for the C-R1 visa..get married here let her go back to Sweden,do her stuff...The CR-1 is much better way to go,with the K-1 it's a big hassle,you have to go threw everything twice,pay another thousand dollars,go to another interview..she has to wait for temporary green card to work,can't leave the country until AOS is approved..with the CR-1 she comes here can work almost right away and can come and go...no brainer..That's just my opinion,but do your research and do what's best for you..good luck :thumbs: Edited by joevegas

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.