Lettyandsteve

What all do we need to get my wifes ssc card?

6 posts in this topic

Hello,me and my wife just were married on December 30th,and we are planning on going to the ssc office on Friday.Could someone please help us and let us know what all the papers,documents,or evidence we both will need to get it.Could someone please tell us how much it cost,and if we get the ssc card that day or do we have to wait for it,any information would be greatly appreciated..thank you..Letty and Steven.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hello,me and my wife just were married on December 30th,and we are planning on going to the ssc office on Friday.Could someone please help us and let us know what all the papers,documents,or evidence we both will need to get it.Could someone please tell us how much it cost,and if we get the ssc card that day or do we have to wait for it,any information would be greatly appreciated..thank you..Letty and Steven.

december 30, 2010 marriage after K visa entry. She can take the passport with the endorsed visa/stamp .. take her birth certificate just in case they need to see it to verify the information that they will ask for like mother's madien name, birth place etc. There is no cost for the Social Secuirty process. The number WILL NOT be issued the same day and does take 1-3 weeks to be received by regular mail. The agency will give you a print out that you applied for a number but the number will not be listed, the number is assigned in baliimore, md.

Others may have something else to add

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

you may also review the following links. The 1st is specific to your visa category

1st

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

2nd

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/ssnumber/

Edited by RICARDO4EVA2

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Filed: Timeline

There is no fee to be assigned an SSN, or issued a card. The SSN is not going to be assigned until the immigration status can be verified.

An individual that entered the United States with K-1 status applying for a work authorized SSN must present evidence at an SSA office to establish his or her age, identity, and current lawful employment authorized status.

An individual needs to provide at least two documents as evidence to establish age, identity, and current lawful employment authorized status.

Example: If the immigration document, for example, Form I-94, Form I-551, Form I-766, is used to establish work authorization and identity, the alien must provide another document to establish age.

SSA will not assign an SSN or issue a card to an individual that is within 14 days of his or her alien status expiring. Until the 76th day after entry an individual with K-1 status only needs to provide an unexpired I-94 showing current K-1 status to establish employment authorized status for SSN purposes.

Once, an individual that entered the United States with K-1 status has been in the United States 76 days he or she will need another document, for example, Form I-551, Form I-766, to establish employment authorized status for SSN purposes.

RM 10211.420 Employment Authorization for Non-immigrants:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211420

RM 10211.025 Evidence of Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) Status for an SSN Card:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211025

Note: Marriage does not affect an individual with K-1 status's eligibility to be assigned an SSN, or issued a card.

SSA accepts all marriage documents issued within the 50 United States, Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, and American Samoa.

RM 10212.025 Evidence of Name Change based on a US Ceremonial Marriage:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110212025

SSA can accept a name change document based on marriage as evidence of the new name to be shown on the card, if the new name can be derived from the marriage document.

Any of the following changes to the last name, using the names shown on the evidence, are permitted:

-- bride takes the groom’s last name;

-- groom takes bride’s last name;

-- spouse or partner takes the other parties’ last name;

-- spouse or partner takes one part of the other parties’ compound

surname;

-- compound name (with or without hyphen) of each spouse’s or partner’s

original surname for either or both parties

Example:

Lisa Foster submits evidence of the name change event, her US ceremonial marriage to Bryan Lee-Walsh. She wants to change her surname to a compound surname, Foster Lee, with only part of Bryan’s surname. Since this new name can be derived from the prior names shown on the marriage document, the marriage document is acceptable evidence of the new name. We may also change Lisa’s surname to one of the following if she requests it:

-- WALSH,

-- LEE-WALSH (or reverse, with or without space or hyphen),

-- LEE FOSTER (with or without space or hyphen, Foster Lee could also

have a hyphen or not have a space)

-- FOSTER WALSH (or reverse, with or without space or hyphen)

-- FOSTER LEE WALSH (in any order, with or without spaces or hyphens)

The marriage document can also be used as acceptable evidence of identity, if it shows Lisa’s prior name (Lisa Foster) and either her age, birth date, or parents’ names, that matches the data on the SSN record, and the marriage took place within the prior two years.

RM 10212.055 Evidence Required to Process a Name Change on the SSN based on Marriage, Civil Union and Domestic Partnership:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110212055

This is in addition to proof of current lawful employment authorized status.

A foreign-born person’s legal name is the name shown on his or her immigration document, for example, Form I-766.

When the name shown on the immigration document differs from the name shown on other evidence submitted for an SSN, we process the application in the name on the immigration document as long as the name can be derived from the other evidence, for example, a foreign passport.

If the required documents show clearly different names, we cannot accept the evidence to process the application. In these situations, the applicant must submit evidence showing the same name, or submit evidence of a name change that occurred after the immigration document was issued.

RM 10212.001 Defining the Legal Name for an SSN:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110212001

When requesting an SSN card, the documents presented, as evidence must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. SSA cannot accept uncertified or notarized photocopies as evidence.

If an acceptable evidence document is in a language other than English and no other acceptable document is available, SSA will have the foreign language document translated by an authorized translator.

SSA translators comprise two groups:

-- Field office and Payment Center employees who volunteer their

services as translators

-- Central Translation Section translators who hold actual translator

positions.

GN 00301.340 Authorized Translators Defined:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0200301340

If a foreign-born person has the foreign birth certificate in his/her possession or can easily obtain a copy, he or she must submit it as proof of age. In some situations SSA can accept alternative evidence of age. The alternative evidence of age may be less than a year old, for example, foreign passport.

You can find links to detailed information regarding evidence that establishes age on the SSA Web site:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110210250

The documents acceptable as evidence of identity are now based on three factors: (1) the applicant’s age, (2) the applicant’s citizenship/alien status, and (3) the relative value of documents.

Primary Identity Evidence for an alien:

-- Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card (includes temporary I-551

Stamp in combination with an unexpired foreign passport when the I-

551 Permanent Resident Card has not yet been issued)

-- Form I-94, Arrival/departure Record in combination with an unexpired

foreign passport

-- Form I-766, Employment Authorization card in combination with an

unexpired foreign passport

Note: Document must be unexpired

Secondary Identity Evidence for an alien:

-- Unexpired valid U.S. driver’s license (excludes licenses known to be

suspended or revoked)

-- U.S. State issued non-driver identity card (issued by the same State

agency which issues driver’s licenses/State-level agency with

issuing authority over the State’s identity card and not expired)

-- Marriage document showing in addition to the applicant’s name

either the applicant’s date of birth (DOB) or age

-- Certified copy of medical record (clinic, doctor, or hospital) or

letter providing extract data from the medical record showing in

addition to the applicant’s name, the applicant’s DOB or age

-- Health insurance or Medicaid card showing, in addition to the

person’s name, either a photograph of the person or his/her DOB

-- School identity card or record (for current school year) showing, in

addition to the applicant’s name, either a photograph of the

applicant or the applicant’s DOB

-- Life insurance policy for the person showing his/her age or DOB.

However, the acceptability of an identity document must be evaluated on a case by case basis by the office processing the application.

RM 10210.405 Evidence of Identity for an SSN Card:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110210405

RM 10210.420 List of Documents in Priority of Acceptability for Use as Evidence of Identity:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110210420

SSA cannot accept an application filing receipt or notice of action as evidence of an immigration document, or an immigration document with a “valid from” date in the future.

Exception: SSA can accept an expired I-551 card accompanied by a Form I-797C (Notice of Action) stating, “Your conditional resident status is extended for a period of one year as evidence of LPR status.”

Take the required documents to the nearest Social Security office or Card Center. Individuals age 12 or older applying for an original SSN and card must apply in person.

You can obtain the address and directions to the nearest Social Security office from the Social Security Office Locator, which is available on the Internet:

http://www.ssa.gov/locator

Applicants who live or receive mail in the Brooklyn, NY, Queens, NY, Phoenix, AZ, Orlando, FL, Sacramento, CA, or Las Vegas, NV area should apply at their local Social Security Card Center.

Individuals residing in the Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN area should apply at the Twin Cities Card Center.

Card Center Information:

http://www.ssa.gov/cardcenters/cardcenterinfo.html

Normally, an SSN card should be received in the mail within two weeks after the application and required document(s) have been received and verified.

However, when an alien requests an SSN or replacement card, SSA must verify his or her documents/current status with the appropriate bureau of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). If the initial online verification is not possible through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) system, SSA may need to send a Form G-845 to the appropriate DHS Status Verification Office (SVO) for manual verification.

Social Security field offices can submit an additional electronic online verification, which with the majority of applications eliminates the need to send a Form G-845 along with a copy of the applicant’s immigration documents.

However, some applications still require a copy of the immigration document(s) to be mailed to the appropriate DHS SVO along with Form G-845 for manual verification.

Note: If the applicant has changed his/her name after an immigration document, for example, Form I-94, was issued, for example, married and is now using the married name, but has not obtained a corrected immigration document showing the new name; this is not a name discrepancy for enumeration purposes, that is, SAVE clearance, if the applicant can provide an acceptable legal name change document to establish the new name.

The 14-day status expiration limit for assigning an SSN and/or issuing a card applies even if an individual submitted his or her application before being within the 14-day period and entered the 14-day period while waiting for his or her status to be verified.

All cards are mailed from Social Security Headquarters in Baltimore, Maryland to the postal address provided on the Form SS-5.

When am I legally required to provide my Social Security number:

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/78

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Bring your original birth certificate if you want to get a SS Card in your married name. (The only other documents we brought was her passport with K1 visa and birth certificate.) We went right after we got married and wife was told she could get a SS# with her maiden name right away but would have to wait 3-4 weeks to get one in her married name. We received an SS# in her married name in about 3 weeks.

Edited by yucalover

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

december 30, 2010 marriage after K visa entry. She can take the passport with the endorsed visa/stamp .. take her birth certificate just in case they need to see it to verify the information that they will ask for like mother's madien name, birth place etc. There is no cost for the Social Secuirty process. The number WILL NOT be issued the same day and does take 1-3 weeks to be received by regular mail. The agency will give you a print out that you applied for a number but the number will not be listed, the number is assigned in baliimore, md.

Others may have something else to add

Really a piece of cake. To emphasize the above post...... It is free. Only a small form to fill out, which you can pick up at any time and fill in at home. All the info you need is on the back of the form. Then arrive with her passport and birth certificate ( I did not take my wifes as she knew her mother's name :whistle: ). they punch the info into the computer and that's it. About two weeks later its in the mail.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.