dashaoz

Easiest U.S. visa to get for a Belarus citizen married to a U.S citizen

59 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

Anyways, as an example, the U.S Consulate in Istanbul can authorize this paper but not the U.S Consulate in Minsk. I got an email from the embassy in Minsk today telling me that I have to do it through the State Court in Delaware.. Quite odd.. But somehow I will find a way..

Yes, I'll say hi to him if they let me.. :P

Sorry for multiple posts, but don't get confused by MISINFORMATION from the Consulate in Instanbul and waste any money going there to get an Apostille they cannot do it. They can notarize for a US Citizen but not Apostille. That has to come from State of Delaware and you don't need it for the process you are going to go through.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you got married in Delaware, you have no need for Apostille for the I130. You are dealing with US, and they won't require it.

Don't change her name on passports in Belarus, its a wild goose chase. She can change her name after she comes to the US and if she wants to renew her Belarus Passport and change her name to her married name while she is in the US, you get the Apostille from the State of Delaware . Then she applies to the Belarus consulate in NY or DC which ever office handles the area in the states you live in. You will find that process much easier than mailing documents to and from Minsk.

If she's already in Belarus, why shouldn't she get her passport with new name change done there in Minsk ? A Belarusian passport is good for 15 years ...which means it will still be valid when your wife receives her US citizenship and passport. If she's in Minsk, then get the new passport while there in Minsk. She would be foolish not to get it done there before she comes to the US.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Timeline

If she's already in Belarus, why shouldn't she get her passport with new name change done there in Minsk ? A Belarusian passport is good for 15 years ...which means it will still be valid when your wife receives her US citizenship and passport. If she's in Minsk, then get the new passport while there in Minsk. She would be foolish not to get it done there before she comes to the US.

If they are both now in Minsk, getting an Apostille from Delaware is the issue, it takes several weeks. Add to that the hassle and number of trips to various offices in Minsk to "authenticate" the Apostille from Delaware..

having had the experience of chasing around Minsk for days for a simple stamp for a visitor visa .. I cannot imagine a name change on a Passport is "simple" in Belarus.

Edited by brokenfamily

If they are both now in Minsk, getting an Apostille from Delaware is the issue, it takes several weeks. Add to that the hassle and number of trips to various offices in Minsk to "authenticate" the Apostille from Delaware..

having had the experience of chasing around Minsk for days for a simple stamp for a visitor visa .. I cannot imagine a name change on a Passport is "simple" in Belarus.

My wife got her passport changed in Minsk, and it was a breeze. I have to admit though I have no idea how difficult it is to get an apostle from Delaware. I took it for granted that it was as easy as it was to get one from here in Alaska and Washington State. It was all done online with a Wells Fargo Visa debit card.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I'd like to hear how they got married in Delaware? She would have needed various paperwork to marry here in the states such as proof of single status, birth certificate, any divorce papers if appropriate, etc. Maybe she had what was needed but this is not you're everyday marriage. And what was her status in the USA? Student? Worker? I also wonder if she could have just applied for AOS?

And why didn't they get an apostile then? It takes only a few days and typically costs $5-$10 in fees. Just write the state's Secretary of State and they usually rush those apostile stamps out fast. Now things are much harder to deal with.

Seems like a lot of just not understanding the process or not doing their homework.

sigbet.jpg

Timeline

Thank you "broken family" and "why me" for your insightful information. Yes, the apostille thing is something that is not easy when we are in Minsk right now. One of the links tell me that the copy of the certificate, apostille and the oversees shipping charges total would be around $340. At this point, we decided to do this when I come back to U.S in March.

Visaveteran, to be honest with you we did not know about this apostille thing until the marriage bureau in Minsk told us that it is needed for them to recognize this marriage. Furthermore, when we were getting married, we had no idea about what we would need in the future. It was pure love and it still is! Sometimes it just takes your breath away you know.. Don't question it too much. :)

Also, like I mentioned, Turkey is an other option for us. Who knows maybe I might change my mind about my U.S dream and start making plans to live in another county. After all, home is where you make it. First priority is whom you love...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I'd like to hear how they got married in Delaware? She would have needed various paperwork to marry here in the states such as proof of single status, birth certificate, any divorce papers if appropriate, etc. Maybe she had what was needed but this is not you're everyday marriage. And what was her status in the USA? Student? Worker? I also wonder if she could have just applied for AOS?

And why didn't they get an apostile then? It takes only a few days and typically costs $5-$10 in fees. Just write the state's Secretary of State and they usually rush those apostile stamps out fast. Now things are much harder to deal with.

Seems like a lot of just not understanding the process or not doing their homework.

The requirements for a marriage license vary from locality to locality. For our marriage, there was a surprisingly small list of required documents to get a marriage license. We needed photo ID, $60 and a desire to get married. I suppose that is a little scary if you think about it, but that's what it was.

King county marriage license

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

The requirements for a marriage license vary from locality to locality. For our marriage, there was a surprisingly small list of required documents to get a marriage license. We needed photo ID, $60 and a desire to get married. I suppose that is a little scary if you think about it, but that's what it was.

King county marriage license

But...you had a fiancee visa. Yes?

I don't know of any other Americans on the forum who've married someone in the US who was a visiting alien. If anyone has experience or knowledge about this, it would be interesting. It sounds too simple to just up and marry an alien without resident status.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I don't know of any other Americans on the forum who've married someone in the US who was a visiting alien. If anyone has experience or knowledge about this, it would be interesting. It sounds too simple to just up and marry an alien without resident status.

Same exact procedure. No one ever asked us about having a K-1 visa. Just needed ID and pay the fee.

A Russian friend of ours arrived on a tourist visa and married a guy in Texas, and stayed. Again no problem

Edited by Neonred

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Did my fiancee have a K-1 visa? Yes.

Did the person issuing the marriage license care, want to see it, or even understand what it was or what it should look like? No, no, and probably not.

This is America where we reward people for breaking the rules, especially when it comes to immigration.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

there are no federal requirements and most states allow anyone to get married. marital status has nothing to do with immigration status. Can two Canadians come to Vermont today and get married today? Yes. Then they can go home to Canada tonight. You don't think all those people going to the Poconos or the Smoky Mountians or to Las Vegas, Hawaii, etc are US Citizens do you? The only requirement here is that you are over 18 and free to marry. You do not have to "prove" you are free to marry, just sign an affidavit to the fact.

ALL K-1s are married "Without resident status" They do not get resident status until after they are married.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Did my fiancee have a K-1 visa? Yes.

Did the person issuing the marriage license care, want to see it, or even understand what it was or what it should look like? No, no, and probably not.

This is America where we reward people for breaking the rules, especially when it comes to immigration.

Marriage has nothing to do with immigration. why should people from other countries been forbidden to come here, spend money and get married and honeymoon in the US? You don't like foreigners spending money here?

the VISA is a means to enter the country, the clerk selling the marriage license is not charged with whether your fiancee entered the country legally or not. Why WOULD they care?

IF your fiancee WAS illegal, would marrying you change that? NO! She would still be illegal. So what business is it of the marriage license people?

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Same exact procedure. No one ever asked us about having a K-1 visa. Just needed ID and pay the fee.

A Russian friend of ours arrived on a tourist visa and married a guy in Texas, and stayed. Again no problem

this is why there should never be opinion polls about immigration policy. I am a little shocked and surprised to see these posts here, where RUB members should know better.

Your friend's wife entered on a tourist visa LEGALLY. No problem so far. She got married LEGALLY. No problem so far. She stayed and filed for Adjustment of status (I presume, yes?) Now HERE, and only here is where we first have a problem...maybe. IF she came here intending to get married AND stay, that is visa fraud. If she came here with no intention to get married then looked in your friends eyes and decided at that moment she just HAD to marry him...that's OK. That will be for USCIS to decide at the AOS interview. she MAY get denied and sent home.

You and I and others did not do that. Why? Because what happens if Alla comes here after quitting her job, moves two boys here, starts them in school and embarks on a new life and then....BYE! You have to leave! No way. I would not risk that with someone I care about to save a bit of waiting for the correct visa.

At any rate, marital status has nothing to do with immigration status and is never the concern of town clerks in any case.

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

this is why there should never be opinion polls about immigration policy. I am a little shocked and surprised to see these posts here, where RUB members should know better.

Your friend's wife entered on a tourist visa LEGALLY. No problem so far. She got married LEGALLY. No problem so far. She stayed and filed for Adjustment of status (I presume, yes?) Now HERE, and only here is where we first have a problem...maybe. IF she came here intending to get married AND stay, that is visa fraud. If she came here with no intention to get married then looked in your friends eyes and decided at that moment she just HAD to marry him...that's OK. That will be for USCIS to decide at the AOS interview. she MAY get denied and sent home.

You and I and others did not do that. Why? Because what happens if Alla comes here after quitting her job, moves two boys here, starts them in school and embarks on a new life and then....BYE! You have to leave! No way. I would not risk that with someone I care about to save a bit of waiting for the correct visa.

At any rate, marital status has nothing to do with immigration status and is never the concern of town clerks in any case.

My point was that it doesn't matter how or what visa they entered the country on, the procedure for marrying is the same and quite legal. We all should know that.

FYI our friend that arrived on the tourist visa DID have the intent to marry and stay in the country. Yes, it was visa fraud. No, they had no problem adjusting status.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.