hala_amira

What goods to bring back to morocco from U.S.?

72 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

We send and bring each time we travel there, Misc medicine like huge bottles of generic ibuprophen and acetomenophen, cold & flu stuff (tablets) occilococinum and homeopathic meds, believe it or not " heavy duty rubber gloves" for protecting hands while washing dishes etc... those awesome eyelash scarves that you can wear 8 different ways, and of course cushy slippers like UGGS. They are soooo comfortable on those marble floors.

Timeline

Do you think that kind of behavior is related to socio economic status, and/or associated with perception of some Moroccans that all Americans have money to burn?

I've not experienced what Jenn and Squeaky have described. In the past when my husband said not to bring gifts, because his parents were just happy that I was coming, he meant it. I would get the lecture that gifts weren't necessary when I brought gifts. And, his parents and other family members always gave me parting gifts to bring back to the US, not just for me but for my other family members as well.

I also disagree the rather ridiculous generalization and dig that all Moroccans want to be Americans.

Yeah my inlaws said that too and they gave me alot of things to bring back for many of my family members. They are very generous toward me and my family. Hey honestly I think everyone likes gifts. especially from a far away place. I think people kind of get the "Being american" thing confused with "having american freedoms" just a hunch.

Count me in with the crew of in laws who do expect gifts whether they say it or not. I am quite happy to oblige even though it's not something that is common in my family. The only objection I DO have is when we ask what they want/need and the flood gates open (aka the LISTS). I get over it as soon as I start shopping though :D

ETA: I am not sure it is important to note that my husband is the oldest, and his father passes away, so he does financially care for the 2 unmarried "kids" at home. So my experience might be skewed by that?

Edited by LaL

Filed: Timeline

I guess my husband's family is just ghetto. I lived with them for 6 months and it was like living in a zoo. They're really ghetto. I can't say it was the best experience, as some people here know. I witnessed them fistfighting over material things and money (and this is the women). My brother in law's main ambition in life is to win the greencard lottery, then come here and win the powerball lottery. That's just my experience with my inlaws... I don't sugarcoat stuff.

Dont you think its all to do with individual families? I have met materialistic and very gift crazy people over there and then there have been people thrilled with a book or something fun from the US like a t shirt.

Kids clothes are small and always welcome because you can give them to a child of people and its like you gave them a gift

What was a big hit when I went to North Africa was small bottles of perfume. I bought perfume sample lots and huge lots of mascara and American cosmetics and they were such a hit. Has to say MADE IN USA though hehehe

The perfume was especially popular. I bought like a lot of 40 small bottles.

Here is an example of what I bought from ebay

Perfume Lot

mascara lot

families are very different. My parents are professors and I could never imagine them ever caring about material things nor would anyone in my family be like that. She brings me back shampoos from hotels and trips and I am always excited to get anything people give me. However , I have a friend who did not grow up with very much and she is always looking at brands and refuses to buy used things. Maybe they are ghetto because thats all they know. I have met very poor Moroccans who just dont act like that. Thats education, upbringing and values a cultural phenonmenon. HOWEVER, I have a hundred Moroccan friends and not a one ever goes home without a suitcase full of things to take back for family. They are always bringing back diabetic supplies or things a neighbor asks for or some kind of clothing they only sell here etc. I have also seen other people sending things from the US with someone going back home to give to their families. So I dont think its so much gifts as there are things here that are reasonable that we are fortunate enough to help others

I personally took 2 wheelchairs on 2 seperate occasions for handicapped people I didnt know and took them across Europe and delivered them to handicapped people in Algeria. the chairs were cheap and all I had to do is bring one with me because they dont charge you shipping to do so...You may save someones life doing medical transport.. Its just a matter of doing for people who need help

I am now on chemo for connective tissue disease and may end up in a wheelchair myself so you just never know why you do things

there is nothing wrong with spreading some of the things you were blessed with over there.... Being a giving person always helps... Maybe bring something with you to give to people you havent even met yet

Edited by Hanging in there

Dont you think its all to do with individual families? I have met materialistic and very gift crazy people over there and then there have been people thrilled with a book or something fun from the US like a t shirt.

Kids clothes are small and always welcome because you can give them to a child of people and its like you gave them a gift

What was a big hit when I went to North Africa was small bottles of perfume. I bought perfume sample lots and huge lots of mascara and American cosmetics and they were such a hit. Has to say MADE IN USA though hehehe

The perfume was especially popular. I bought like a lot of 40 small bottles.

Here is an example of what I bought from ebay

Perfume Lot

mascara lot

families are very different. My parents are professors and I could never imagine them ever caring about material things nor would anyone in my family be like that. She brings me back shampoos from hotels and trips and I am always excited to get anything people give me. However , I have a friend who did not grow up with very much and she is always looking at brands and refuses to buy used things. Maybe they are ghetto because thats all they know. I have met very poor Moroccans who just dont act like that. Thats education, upbringing and values a cultural phenonmenon. HOWEVER, I have a hundred Moroccan friends and not a one ever goes home without a suitcase full of things to take back for family. They are always bringing back diabetic supplies or things a neighbor asks for or some kind of clothing they only sell here etc. I have also seen other people sending things from the US with someone going back home to give to their families. So I dont think its so much gifts as there are things here that are reasonable that we are fortunate enough to help others

I personally took 2 wheelchairs on 2 seperate occasions for handicapped people I didnt know and took them across Europe and delivered them to handicapped people in Algeria. the chairs were cheap and all I had to do is bring one with me because they dont charge you shipping to do so...You may save someones life doing medical transport.. Its just a matter of doing for people who need help

I am now on chemo for connective tissue disease and may end up in a wheelchair myself so you just never know why you do things

there is nothing wrong with spreading some of the things you were blessed with over there.... Being a giving person always helps... Maybe bring something with you to give to people you havent even met yet

WHEEL CHAIR MISSIONS TO DEVELOPING NATIONS

You could always bring a few clothing items to an orphanage close to the house you are visiting in Morocco. There are hundreds of orphanages in Morocco always in need of baby and childrens clothes;

Orphanage and childrens homes in Morocco needing help

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

There's a vast difference between sugarcoating things, and generalizing an entire culture based on your experience with your in-laws.

My experience with my immediate in-laws was along the same lines as Abdul/Tahlisha. Wonderful, warm, fun, funny people, who were very welcoming, and who didn't need or want anything from me. And, who have no desire to come to America, or be American!

It's frustrating to see people who choose to surround themselves with negative people from a culture, and then generalize and blame the culture.

I generalize based on far more than just my inlaws. The second my husband touched down in the US, he's gotten dozens of emails from people in Morocco, friends and friends of friends, asking him to send them things. Even my Moroccan friends in the states and my Moroccan ex here in America are materialistic- only wearing labels, spending every extra dime on designer clothes. I'm glad you have had good experiences, but generalizing goes both ways.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

For my husband's family, it doesn't matter what you bring, just that you bring something. You could give them a pencil and they would probably talk forever about how great the wood is and the quality graphite, and what a nice shade of yellow and firm eraser. We've gotten a couple of specific requests for certain creams or medications that are difficult to get there, so I think those are great to bring. Other than that, my husband ends up getting a whole hockey bag sized suitcase full of what I call "crippy #######". I would much rather get one quality present for each of his immediate family members than a enough crippy ####### so that everyone gets 10 things apiece with enough left over to distribute to the neighborhood as well. But I'm told they like crippy #######. *shrug*

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

This was always an issue with my ex and I. He wanted to have stuff to bring back especially for the kids which to me was fine. Anytime and anything I picked out for the kids was never any good, I heard excuses like, its not right, too big, too small, too young, too old, or not made in the states. #######! Who cares where its made, its the thought that should count right? Thats what I thought. Or another big one was they can get that there! UGH! For the adults he wanted to have lots and lots of money. HUH? MONEY? We have to pay bills not give someone else our money! You send enough over there now! We weren't rich like his brother that is over here and he always told me that the people of Morocco (family) thought americans were rich. I was astounded and shocked. I'm glad that part of my life is over and I don't have to worry about it anymore.

07/21/11 filed AOS off tourist visa

07/28/11 USCIS cashed check

07/30/11 Recieved NOA1 and Biometrics letter

08/24/2011 Biometrics

08/25/2011 RFE sent to us for some info we've already sent in

08/30/2011 sent in the rest of info USCIS asked for

09/13/2011 went to congressman's office to sign papers for expedite of work permit, due to financial hardship

09/15/2011 Work permit expedite approved!! He can finally find a job!

09/24/2011 work permit arrives

09/26/2011 Apply for social security number!

09/30/2011 Letter is sent for interview

11/07/2011 INTERVIEW!!!

Its 2012 and still no approval! Still waiting

01/27/2012 Letter sent stating that file was sent on for more review :(

9iad5hjppr.png

For my husband's family, it doesn't matter what you bring, just that you bring something. You could give them a pencil and they would probably talk forever about how great the wood is and the quality graphite, and what a nice shade of yellow and firm eraser. We've gotten a couple of specific requests for certain creams or medications that are difficult to get there, so I think those are great to bring. Other than that, my husband ends up getting a whole hockey bag sized suitcase full of what I call "crippy #######". I would much rather get one quality present for each of his immediate family members than a enough crippy ####### so that everyone gets 10 things apiece with enough left over to distribute to the neighborhood as well. But I'm told they like crippy #######. *shrug*

there are entirely too many things here that made me laugh!

i can't stand crippy ####### either. hate shopping for it, don't want to receive it, because all it does is clutter up my house and will never have any use whatsoever. but if there are people who like it and want it, good for them-that means less of it for me, and i'm not going to complain about that.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

there are entirely too many things here that made me laugh!

i can't stand crippy ####### either. hate shopping for it, don't want to receive it, because all it does is clutter up my house and will never have any use whatsoever. but if there are people who like it and want it, good for them-that means less of it for me, and i'm not going to complain about that.

That is a silver lining. No time spent wondering to whom I shall regift the crippy ####### I've received - it goes in the "Morocco bag." :D

That is a silver lining. No time spent wondering to whom I shall regift the crippy ####### I've received - it goes in the "Morocco bag." :D

Too funny...

Although I think lots from ebay are a much better idea ...You can get lots and lots of perfume and makeup all new....great brands

Timeline

When I went I put together sets from the Bath and Body Shop and had them wrapped there with the see-through cellophane they have and a ribbon for the women, and they loved it:) For the kids I brought Disney Dolls (Barbie size) for the girls and Lakers and Dodger hats for the boys (since I'm from L.A.). For the guys it was souvenior type stuff, and for his mom I brought perfume and a necklace. I also brought a lot of different kinds of chocolate, but I found that his family doesn't really eat sweets too much.

The only thing I can I really regretted not packing was an adapter for my blow dryer, and we never had time to get one.

Hello MENA community,

I would love any suggestions about any "American" brands or products that are now popular or well liked in Morocco for gifts to be given to relatives while visiting there. Is there any latest "American" brand trend that everyone wants? Also what "snacks" or items that are popular in morocco and are sort of "expensive" there but not here? We had some friends from Morocco visit and said they loved "OREO" cookies in Morocco? I know for clothing that GUESS, RALPH LAUREN, and LEVIS are popular brands of choice in a MENA country that I have been to before. So, I guess the ideas are for clothes/goods for children, women, men, and teenagers?

Ideas anyone...or advice on what I should bring that is always good to pack when going to Morocco and if you didn't pack it why you regretted that you didn't!

I am going with my husband and our child in April-May for about a month starting in Rabat..My first time going to Morocco and my husband has not been back since 1999!!!!

Thanks for any feed back!

Moroccan-Americanflag.jpg

Met in December 2008

Married in Morocco December 22, 2009

Filed IR1/CR1 - April 2010

NOA1 - April 29, 2010

RFE - November 12, 2010

Response to RFE - December 22, 2010

NOA2 - January 18, 2011

Paid AOS and IV Bill - January 27, 2011

Sent AOS/IV documents - March 15 2011

NVC received/signed for documents - March 17

Interview May 10

APPROVED

Timeline

My in-laws are the same. I did bring gifts my first time, but they weren't expecting any, and my now husband kept telling me I didn't need to bring anything and he didn't want me to spend money I didn't have. His family was giving me gifts the whole time I was there....but they are very simple people... educated and middle class like me but not materialistic people at all. We're the same....:)

There's a vast difference between sugarcoating things, and generalizing an entire culture based on your experience with your in-laws.

My experience with my immediate in-laws was along the same lines as Abdul/Tahlisha. Wonderful, warm, fun, funny people, who were very welcoming, and who didn't need or want anything from me. And, who have no desire to come to America, or be American!

It's frustrating to see people who choose to surround themselves with negative people from a culture, and then generalize and blame the culture.

Moroccan-Americanflag.jpg

Met in December 2008

Married in Morocco December 22, 2009

Filed IR1/CR1 - April 2010

NOA1 - April 29, 2010

RFE - November 12, 2010

Response to RFE - December 22, 2010

NOA2 - January 18, 2011

Paid AOS and IV Bill - January 27, 2011

Sent AOS/IV documents - March 15 2011

NVC received/signed for documents - March 17

Interview May 10

APPROVED

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

All of you probably have Fesi inlaws.. :lol: judging all Moroccans based on Fesi people is like judging all Americans based on people from LA or New York. And you probably stayed in hotels that looked like the brochures in the airplane seats on RAM. I was fortunate to see real Morocco. I love it, but it ain't a bed of roses.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.