hala_amira

What goods to bring back to morocco from U.S.?

72 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hello MENA community,

I would love any suggestions about any "American" brands or products that are now popular or well liked in Morocco for gifts to be given to relatives while visiting there. Is there any latest "American" brand trend that everyone wants? Also what "snacks" or items that are popular in morocco and are sort of "expensive" there but not here? We had some friends from Morocco visit and said they loved "OREO" cookies in Morocco? I know for clothing that GUESS, RALPH LAUREN, and LEVIS are popular brands of choice in a MENA country that I have been to before. So, I guess the ideas are for clothes/goods for children, women, men, and teenagers?

Ideas anyone...or advice on what I should bring that is always good to pack when going to Morocco and if you didn't pack it why you regretted that you didn't!

I am going with my husband and our child in April-May for about a month starting in Rabat..My first time going to Morocco and my husband has not been back since 1999!!!!

Thanks for any feed back!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hello MENA community,

I would love any suggestions about any "American" brands or products that are now popular or well liked in Morocco for gifts to be given to relatives while visiting there. Is there any latest "American" brand trend that everyone wants? Also what "snacks" or items that are popular in morocco and are sort of "expensive" there but not here? We had some friends from Morocco visit and said they loved "OREO" cookies in Morocco? I know for clothing that GUESS, RALPH LAUREN, and LEVIS are popular brands of choice in a MENA country that I have been to before. So, I guess the ideas are for clothes/goods for children, women, men, and teenagers?

Ideas anyone...or advice on what I should bring that is always good to pack when going to Morocco and if you didn't pack it why you regretted that you didn't!

I am going with my husband and our child in April-May for about a month starting in Rabat..My first time going to Morocco and my husband has not been back since 1999!!!!

My husband says basically anything that is good quality and American made. Most things are made in other countries but is made so quickly and cheaply so it doesn't last. So basically anything that has a made in the USA label will be great, according to my husband.

6/27/2009 Married

10/20/2009 I-130 sent

10/28/2009 NOA1

2/8/2010 NOA2

2/12/2010 NVC received and case number assigned

2/19/2010 Gave NVC email addresses

2/19/2010 AOS/DS3032 generated (not related to giving the emails)

2/21/2010 Emailed DS3032

2/22/2010 Received DS3032 and AOS bill via email

2/23/2010 Paid AOS bill

2/25/2010 AOS bill shows Paid and coversheet printed

3/2/2010 Received IV bill

4/9/2010 Paid IV bill

4/12/2010 IV bill shows Paid and coversheet printed

4/13/2010 Mailed IV packet

4/15/2010 IV packet received and signed for

4/16/2010 AOS packet mailed

4/19/2010 AOS packet received and signed for

4/20/2010 AVR changed and states biographic documents received on 4/17/2010

4/24/2010 AVR notes AOS entered into system on 4/23/2010

4/28/2010 Sign-in fail and NVC operator confirms case complete

5/01/2010 Interview assigned!

6/16/2010 Medical Exam

6/29/2010 Interview Approved!

7/7/2010 Visa in hand!

7/22/2010 POE

ROC

5/15/2012 Mailed in I-751

5/16/2012 Received

6/5/2012 Check cashed

6/6/2012 NOA1 received

Timeline

My hubbys nephews are into the same things teenagers here are into so I buy from american eagle areopotsle (sp) hollister.... Shoes, jeans, tees.... As for his sisters.... They like secret deodrant.... crest toothpaste.. mouthwash, advil, cold medicine, dial bar soap (the clear one)as far as snacks his family are not big on eating premade stuff... They make everything... LOL For the little ones I take undies socks and board games that dont require you to speak english.... candyland, memory I also take movies

hope I was helpful

8QTYm5.png

FXz7m5.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

u should get an Iphone4 for everybody and for sure ur choice will be respected. hhhhh just kidding but the best thing is to get for them omething they can use then u should just know very well their need and its ok.u cant find better than u to know what they will for sure appreciate then ur husband can help about this.a gift is something sweet before to think about the subject and t value it really nice to think about somebody. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hello MENA community,

bring nothing, you are bringing them the most precious gift, THEM SON :thumbs: his family didnt saw him 12 years.

Edited by yassinerabat1

what's matters to you? what are you doing or what people think about what are you doing?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Take Hershey kisses and minis.. a huge Costco sized bag.. they're great because you can give them to kids a few at a time, and they LOVE them. Can't get them there. Take something for your mother in law like Shake n Bake, or a box of Hamburger Helper, chili spice mix (I used that while I was there, they told me that chili is "rich people food") and let them marvel over the laziness of us Americans :D Also, Doritos are impossible to find there, Chex Mix, maybe a box of sweet American cereal. I'm trying to think of easy to pack foods (also thinking of things I couldn't find when I lived there). As for clothes, they love Diesel jeans, I know that, and Pumas.. anything with a logo on it. When I went the first time, I got my mother in law several bottles of Victoria's Secret body wash in many scents. She used them so sparingly, she still had some when I returned a year later. I also took my husband's cousins a dual voltage flat iron and a plug adapter.. they loved that.. Have fun!

Sarah

Edited by squeaky580

Timeline

Take Hershey kisses and minis.. a huge Costco sized bag.. they're great because you can give them to kids a few at a time, and they LOVE them. Can't get them there. Take something for your mother in law like Shake n Bake, or a box of Hamburger Helper, chili spice mix (I used that while I was there, they told me that chili is "rich people food") and let them marvel over the laziness of us Americans :D Also, Doritos are impossible to find there, Chex Mix, maybe a box of sweet American cereal. I'm trying to think of easy to pack foods (also thinking of things I couldn't find when I lived there). As for clothes, they love Diesel jeans, I know that, and Pumas.. anything with a logo on it. When I went the first time, I got my mother in law several bottles of Victoria's Secret body wash in many scents. She used them so sparingly, she still had some when I returned a year later. I also took my husband's cousins a dual voltage flat iron and a plug adapter.. they loved that.. Have fun!

Sarah

I agree about the Doritos! The only place I found them was at one of the big grocery stores in Khouribga and they didn't have any flavors I was familiar with but they were good and now I can't find the same flavor here in the states. LOL! Also, I brought Victoria's Secret body butter lotion and my mother-in-law LOVED it and wants more. It's the only thing she's ever asked for more of.

6/27/2009 Married

10/20/2009 I-130 sent

10/28/2009 NOA1

2/8/2010 NOA2

2/12/2010 NVC received and case number assigned

2/19/2010 Gave NVC email addresses

2/19/2010 AOS/DS3032 generated (not related to giving the emails)

2/21/2010 Emailed DS3032

2/22/2010 Received DS3032 and AOS bill via email

2/23/2010 Paid AOS bill

2/25/2010 AOS bill shows Paid and coversheet printed

3/2/2010 Received IV bill

4/9/2010 Paid IV bill

4/12/2010 IV bill shows Paid and coversheet printed

4/13/2010 Mailed IV packet

4/15/2010 IV packet received and signed for

4/16/2010 AOS packet mailed

4/19/2010 AOS packet received and signed for

4/20/2010 AVR changed and states biographic documents received on 4/17/2010

4/24/2010 AVR notes AOS entered into system on 4/23/2010

4/28/2010 Sign-in fail and NVC operator confirms case complete

5/01/2010 Interview assigned!

6/16/2010 Medical Exam

6/29/2010 Interview Approved!

7/7/2010 Visa in hand!

7/22/2010 POE

ROC

5/15/2012 Mailed in I-751

5/16/2012 Received

6/5/2012 Check cashed

6/6/2012 NOA1 received

Timeline

Sarah

Thanks this is exactly the advice and ideas that I was looking for! It is simple things like that! Love the ideas on the minis and hershey kisses and thank you for the update in the "latest" popular brands! I am going to bring small bags of Doritos! Funny that you mentioned Doritos, becasue when we had a mother and her 14 year son stay with us from Morocco that is what he always wanted from the grocery store!! When we have international vistors stay or visit us I am always excited to find out things that they like here that they can't get at home or never used before. Again vice versa when overseas to another country to take back simple items like that back here!!!

Timeline

My hubbys nephews are into the same things teenagers here are into so I buy from american eagle areopotsle (sp) hollister.... Shoes, jeans, tees.... As for his sisters.... They like secret deodrant.... crest toothpaste.. mouthwash, advil, cold medicine, dial bar soap (the clear one)as far as snacks his family are not big on eating premade stuff... They make everything... LOL For the little ones I take undies socks and board games that dont require you to speak english.... candyland, memory I also take movies

hope I was helpful

Again thank you for the ideas! Sounds like American brands even in health/beauty products are popular to bring! I will forsure bring a few extra bottles of secret deodrant! Since it says "Made in the U.S.A. on it! lol! Even our Crest toothpaste, huh! Simple but same goes for when Moroccan visitors come here and give simple gifts of things like the moroccan tea,soap,etc...!!

Filed: Timeline

bring nothing, you are bringing them the most precious gift, THEM SON :thumbs: his family didnt saw him 12 years.

Very true! I agree with this. I know, as an Arab myself, that they are NOT EXPECTING ANYTHING FROM YOU. All they want is the pleasure of your company. While bringing gifts is nice, it is not at all expected. This is how we Arabs roll!

Good Luck!

Filed: Timeline

My husband says basically anything that is good quality and American made. Most things are made in other countries but is made so quickly and cheaply so it doesn't last. So basically anything that has a made in the USA label will be great, according to my husband.

I respectfuly disagree. Actually it is bordering on offensive/insulting to say that. So anything made outside the "land of milk and honey" is bad? The typical media propaganda seems to be doing its job well. Respectfully, as Arabs, we could care less about gifts (let alone were they are made). "Materialism" is, never was, and will never be, part of the Arab culture. We take pride in our long and great culture and tradition, and getting material things that are "made in the US" of any other country for that matter is not part of it. I am a proud American. I am also proud of my Arab heritage. To hear someone say something like this (which I know is not true) hurts. All what we care about, and want, is the pleasure of your company. Hospitality and virtue is deeply ingrained in the Arab culture. This is who we are, and this is how we will remain.

Timeline

Again thank you for the ideas! Sounds like American brands even in health/beauty products are popular to bring! I will forsure bring a few extra bottles of secret deodrant! Since it says "Made in the U.S.A. on it! lol! Even our Crest toothpaste, huh! Simple but same goes for when Moroccan visitors come here and give simple gifts of things like the moroccan tea,soap,etc...!!

Yep.... We have stuff they can't get just like they have stuff we can't get.... But please keep in mind that a big reason some snack foods we have are not sold in Morocco because off what they are made of.... Doritos for instance and some other cheesy snacks are made with stuff that muslims are not supposed to consume..... I think Doritos changed their formula but I'm not sure.... Anyhoo checking to make sure snacks are kosher would be a good idea... Avoid gummy snacks/candy and things made with marshmallow..... Unless of course they are halal/kosher....

Edited by ABDULnTAHLISHA

8QTYm5.png

FXz7m5.png

I have been to morocco 10 times, and what I mostly bring are dollar store kids stuff. Crayon, coloring books, neon things, painting stuff, lots of kids in the neigborhood to make happy. I do agree, that they are not materialistic, BUT ...I did observe many ppl in morocco keeping up with trends, such as american or italian made jeans. In addition, they dont like the zipper jeans, they use button fly jeans. There was a time in morocco where everyone was using the army made clothing, it was in style. So , I would find out what is the trend there now, and just bring what you can. No need to exceed, your presence is the ultimate gift. I also took baby wipes , scented candles, conditioner for the hair, very important. Nike sneakers for the husband, and sweat pants and shirt for the cold days for the brothers in law. Anything else we did , we got it in morocco.

Erase the image on how you thought your life would turn out- and start living the life you are living!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

I respectfuly disagree. Actually it is bordering on offensive/insulting to say that. So anything made outside the "land of milk and honey" is bad? The typical media propaganda seems to be doing its job well. Respectfully, as Arabs, we could care less about gifts (let alone were they are made). "Materialism" is, never was, and will never be, part of the Arab culture. We take pride in our long and great culture and tradition, and getting material things that are "made in the US" of any other country for that matter is not part of it. I am a proud American. I am also proud of my Arab heritage. To hear someone say something like this (which I know is not true) hurts. All what we care about, and want, is the pleasure of your company. Hospitality and virtue is deeply ingrained in the Arab culture. This is who we are, and this is how we will remain.

get over yourself please. you dont speak for all arabs or the multitude of those intimately involved with arab people.

event.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Dude, are you freakin kidding me? If I went to Morocco with no gifts for my inlaws, they'd smile in my face, sure, then they'd be trying to get some of my hair to do bad spells on me. PUH-LEASE. Moroccans can be more materialistic than Americans, if not for any other reason than they WANT to be Americans. Spare us all the preachy #######- we are people who have actually been there.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.