hala_amira

What goods to bring back to morocco from U.S.?

72 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Dude, are you freakin kidding me? If I went to Morocco with no gifts for my inlaws, they'd smile in my face, sure, then they'd be trying to get some of my hair to do bad spells on me. PUH-LEASE. Moroccans can be more materialistic than Americans, if not for any other reason than they WANT to be Americans. Spare us all the preachy #######- we are people who have actually been there.

Please, I am no longer interested in general discussions. I came to this site looking for guidance and support, not to engage in unrelated general discussions. I am deleting my profile. Good site though.

Good Luck you all of you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Ok, I guess it is because of differing opinion. blink.gif

Anyhoo...count me among those who disagree. My husband and I both feel that gifts are most definitely expected. It's something that bothers me to no end. When my MIL was returning to Morocco after her stay here, my BIL even called to make sure that she was bringing a gift back for his wife. And this was on top of the LOADS of things we were sending for his new baby. You would think that someone would be so happy to be getting stuff for their kid, they wouldn't think to worry about what they were getting, but no....wacko.gif

Do you think that kind of behavior is related to socio economic status, and/or associated with perception of some Moroccans that all Americans have money to burn?

I've not experienced what Jenn and Squeaky have described. In the past when my husband said not to bring gifts, because his parents were just happy that I was coming, he meant it. I would get the lecture that gifts weren't necessary when I brought gifts. And, his parents and other family members always gave me parting gifts to bring back to the US, not just for me but for my other family members as well.

I also disagree the rather ridiculous generalization and dig that all Moroccans want to be Americans.

I haven't experienced anything like that either msheesha, and my in laws are by no means well off. And I can honestly say they would be mortified at the idea of even mentioning presents for them as some kind of obligation or entitlement because my husband and I live here and they live there. They loved the presents my husband brought back a couple years ago (I think my brother in laws are probably the only guys in Laayoune rocking Blazers and Oregon Ducks gear) but for everything we bought them, my husband came back with reciprocal presents from them for me and the kids, and they so did not need to do that. I think there are just some Moroccans out there with bad manners, but it's not a universal quality there by any means.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Yep.... We have stuff they can't get just like they have stuff we can't get.... But please keep in mind that a big reason some snack foods we have are not sold in Morocco because off what they are made of.... Doritos for instance and some other cheesy snacks are made with stuff that muslims are not supposed to consume..... I think Doritos changed their formula but I'm not sure.... Anyhoo checking to make sure snacks are kosher would be a good idea... Avoid gummy snacks/candy and things made with marshmallow..... Unless of course they are halal/kosher....

:thumbs: I'm glad you posted this. According to the Frito-Lay website, regular nacho doritos still contain pork enzymes. http://www.fritolay.com/our-snacks/doritos.html Besides the gelatin-based gummy candies and obviously marshmallow snacks, a lot of snack cakes and frosted stuff like Pop Tarts also aren't halal. I think as a general rule, Hostess brand products tend to not be halal, but many Little Debbie products are. If this matters to the people you're giving the gifts to, I definitely recommend checking into this. I know many Muslims would be disgusted if they found out they ate pork derived products, even if they didn't know at the time!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

My husband says that his family says that they don't want any gifts, but he insists that they're just saying that to be polite and they don't really mean it. Maybe he's wrong. I tend to think he isn't after the episode with his brother, but I don't know for sure. Like others have said they are also full of gifts for us when we visit - when my family traveled to Morocco, they had lots of presents for everyone. In fact, it made me a little uncomfortable because I know they don't have a lot of money.

It could be just his family. I know that among my own family - gift giving is a much more "expected" thing on my father's side than my mother's. In any case, to make the statement that Arabs don't expect gifts is as inaccurate as making the same statement about Americans.

My husband says that his family says that they don't want any gifts, but he insists that they're just saying that to be polite and they don't really mean it. Maybe he's wrong. I tend to think he isn't after the episode with his brother, but I don't know for sure. Like others have said they are also full of gifts for us when we visit - when my family traveled to Morocco, they had lots of presents for everyone. In fact, it made me a little uncomfortable because I know they don't have a lot of money.

It could be just his family. I know that among my own family - gift giving is a much more "expected" thing on my father's side than my mother's. In any case, to make the statement that Arabs don't expect gifts is as inaccurate as making the same statement about Americans.

...and as inaccurate to say that all Moroccans want to be Americans. :star:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Nothing to do with the topic but...

sandinista, the photos of your daughter are gorgeous. I love her hair and dress in the second one. So lovely. :luv:

Edited by Mithra

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Nothing to do with the topic but...

sandinista, the photos of your daughter are gorgeous. I love her hair and dress in the second one. So lovely. :luv:

awww, thank you. she puts on that dorothy dress all the time at home, to play in. and the photographer we went to has piles and piles of gorgeous tutus, in every color of the rainbow-she did not want to leave when we were done. (L)

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Timeline

Dude, are you freakin kidding me? If I went to Morocco with no gifts for my inlaws, they'd smile in my face, sure, then they'd be trying to get some of my hair to do bad spells on me. PUH-LEASE. Moroccans can be more materialistic than Americans, if not for any other reason than they WANT to be Americans. Spare us all the preachy #######- we are people who have actually been there.

WOW.... People get pretty catty up in here.... LOL..... Moroccans are more materialistic than anyone else..... We are all people and all people like and want to have nice things........I don't beleive they want to be americans.... I mean really what is so great about us?????? They just want the opportunity to make a better life for themselves and their families.... Just like everyone else in the world.... In general some pretty bad opinons of Moroccans have been thrown out and it makes me wonder why those with such opinions would choose to marry.... I have had nothing but Awesome experiences whith my hubby's family...... They have treated me better than my own family.....

8QTYm5.png

FXz7m5.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

WOW.... People get pretty catty up in here.... LOL..... Moroccans are more materialistic than anyone else..... We are all people and all people like and want to have nice things........I don't beleive they want to be americans.... I mean really what is so great about us?????? They just want the opportunity to make a better life for themselves and their families.... Just like everyone else in the world.... In general some pretty bad opinons of Moroccans have been thrown out and it makes me wonder why those with such opinions would choose to marry.... I have had nothing but Awesome experiences whith my hubby's family...... They have treated me better than my own family.....

I guess my husband's family is just ghetto. I lived with them for 6 months and it was like living in a zoo. They're really ghetto. I can't say it was the best experience, as some people here know. I witnessed them fistfighting over material things and money (and this is the women). My brother in law's main ambition in life is to win the greencard lottery, then come here and win the powerball lottery. That's just my experience with my inlaws... I don't sugarcoat stuff.

I guess my husband's family is just ghetto. I lived with them for 6 months and it was like living in a zoo. They're really ghetto. I can't say it was the best experience, as some people here know. I witnessed them fistfighting over material things and money (and this is the women). My brother in law's main ambition in life is to win the greencard lottery, then come here and win the powerball lottery. That's just my experience with my inlaws... I don't sugarcoat stuff.

There's a vast difference between sugarcoating things, and generalizing an entire culture based on your experience with your in-laws.

My experience with my immediate in-laws was along the same lines as Abdul/Tahlisha. Wonderful, warm, fun, funny people, who were very welcoming, and who didn't need or want anything from me. And, who have no desire to come to America, or be American!

It's frustrating to see people who choose to surround themselves with negative people from a culture, and then generalize and blame the culture.

Timeline

I just realized there is a type o in my post.... I meant to say that MOROCCAS ARE NO MORE materialistic than anyone else :)

8QTYm5.png

FXz7m5.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.