joevegas

New SS card?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi.Just got approved for AOS..I'm wondering if I need to get a new SS card?..been looking and some people say yes some say no?..what's the correct answer?..Thanks in advance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Your SSN number is for life. However, once you have your green card (the physical one) you can take that in to the SSA to have any conditions removed from your SSN card

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Other Timeline

No, you don't need to get a new card. Your card probably reads "valid for work with DHS authorization only." Well, the Green Card serves as proof of you having DHS authorization to work. But if you like, you can get a new SS card without that remark. You probably will still have to show the Green Card when applying for a job, new SS card or not.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Timeline

The restriction is only on the SSN card to keep people from using it as a work authorization document, like you can with an unrestricted SSN card. However, some people/businesses don't understand and think you have a temporary SSN. One other thing to consider is that at some point with the removal of conditions, your Form I-551 (green Card) will be expired, and you have a restricted SSN card.

So if it was me I would get the unrestricted SSN card.

When an individual previously issued an SSN card with “NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT” or “VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION” printed on it has been granted permanent residency, he or she can apply for a replacement SSN card that reflects the new immigration status.

An alien granted permanent residency status is eligible to be issued an unrestricted SSN card and will retain the originally assigned SSN.

An alien applying for a work-authorized replacement SSN card must present evidence to establish identity and employment authorization.

When requesting an SSN card, the documents presented, as evidence must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. SSA cannot accept uncertified or notarized photocopies as evidence.

The documents acceptable as evidence of identity are based on three factors: (1) the applicant’s age, (2) the applicant’s citizenship/alien status, and (3) the relative value of documents.

Primary Identity Evidence for an alien:

-- Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card (includes temporary I-551

stamp/machine readable immigrant visa (MRIV) in combination with an

unexpired foreign passport when the I-551 Permanent Resident Card

has not yet been issued)

-- Form I-766, Employment Authorization card in combination with an

unexpired foreign passport

Note: Document must be unexpired

RM 10210.405 Evidence of Identity for an SSN Card:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110210405

RM 10210.420 List of Documents in Priority of Acceptability for Use as Evidence of Identity:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110210420

Employment Authorization Documents (unexpired):

-- I-766

-- I-551 (Stamp or card)

-- Machine Readable Immigrant Visa (MRIV) with temporary I-551 language

Documents that establish lawfully admitted for permanent residence (LAPR)

-- I-551 card

NOTE: Some LAPR aliens have conditional 2-year I-551s (Alien Registration Receipt Card), subject to the limitation that they must apply for removal of the conditional basis 90 days before the second anniversary of the admittance date to the United States. A conditional I-551 is identified by an expiration date 2 years later than the admittance/adjudication date is acceptable proof of permanent residency. For SSN purposes conditional resident aliens are treated as aliens lawfully admitted for permanent residence.

-- Temporary I-551

Temporary evidence of immigrant status is issued for an alien to use

until the permanent I-551 card is received. This may be a stamp in the individual's passport or on the I-94.

-- Machine Readable Immigrant Visa (MRIV) with temporary I-551 language

Note: The MRIV shows the alien's identification number (“A” number) as the “Registration Number” in the upper right-hand corner of the MRIV.

The MRIV in an unexpired foreign passport that shows the statement “UPON ENDORSEMENT SERVES AS TEMPORARY I-551 EVIDENCING PERMANENT RESIDENCE FOR 1 YEAR and is endorsed with an admission stamp is the same as a valid Temporary I-551 stamp and is valid for one year from the date of endorsement by the admission stamp.

Example:

If the admission stamp shows a date of entry into the U.S. as January 4, 2010, the expiration of the temporary I-551 status will be January 3, 2011. The expiration date on the MRIV should not be used to determine when the temporary I-551 status expires. The expiration date on the MRIV only shows how long the MRIV is valid not how long the alien's temporary I-551 status is valid.

-- Alternate evidence of LAPR status

Establish evidence of LAPR status if the following requirements are met:

-- The applicant submits an unexpired Form I-766 and on the face of

the card, the Category is, A3, A4, A5, A6, A9, A15,

A16, C9, C16 or C25 and SAVE verifies LAPR status.

RM 10211.025 Evidence of Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) Status for an SSN Card:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211025

SSA cannot accept an application filing receipt or notice of action as evidence of an immigration document, or an immigration document with a “valid from” date in the future.

Exception: SSA can accept an expired I-551 card accompanied by a Form I-797C (Notice of Action) stating, “Your conditional resident status is extended for a period of one year as evidence of LPR status.

Note: An alien applicant can use the same unexpired work authorization/LPR document as proof of identity.

Take the required documents to the nearest Social Security office or Card Center.

You can obtain the address and directions to the nearest Social Security office from the Social Security Office Locator, which is available on the Internet:

http://www.ssa.gov/locator

Applicants who live or receive mail in the Brooklyn, NY, Queens, NY, Phoenix, AZ, Orlando, FL, Sacramento, CA, or Las Vegas, NV area should apply at their local Social Security Card Center.

Individuals residing in the Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN area should apply at the Twin Cities Card Center.

Card Center Information:

http://www.ssa.gov/cardcenters/cardcenterinfo.html

Normally, an SSN card should be received in the mail within two weeks after the application and document(s) have been received and verified.

However, when an alien requests an SSN or replacement card, SSA must verify his or her documents/current status with the appropriate bureau of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). If the initial online verification is not possible through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) system, SSA may need to send a Form G-845 to the appropriate Bureau of DHS for manual verification.

Social Security field offices can submit an additional electronic online verification, which with the majority of applications eliminates the need to send a Form G-845 along with a copy of the applicant’s immigration documents.

However, some applications still require a copy of the immigration document to be sent to the appropriate bureau of DHS along with Form G-845 for manual verification.

SSA offices can also assist applicants by issuing a notice acknowledging the SSN application while documents are being verified.

RM 10205.215 Acknowledgement Requested for an Application for an SSN Card:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110205215

All cards are mailed from Social Security Headquarters in Baltimore, Maryland to the postal address provided on the application.

When am I legally required to provide my Social Security number:

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/78

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.