The_Dude

Comedian under fire for Burka Woman version of Pretty Woman

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Comedian under fire for Burka Woman version of Pretty Woman

Saad Haroon has been accused of mocking Islamic values prompting bloggers to call for him to be stoned to death.

The video follows his tongue-in-cheek efforts at serenading a "sexy ninja" or "mystery prize" hidden beneath a black niqab, with only her dark eyes visible through a narrow slit.

"Burka woman, in your black sheet," he sings, "Burka woman, with your sexy feet, "Burka woman my love for you it grows, every time I see your toes." He even describes going home to "practise flirting with my living room curtain".

However, the video has caused a storm in Pakistan, the cradle of the Taliban, where conservative religious leaders hold considerable influence.

Earlier this year, access to YouTube, Wikipedia and Facebook was blocked after cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed were published online

"You should be stoned to death Saad Haroon Hell to You," reads one comment on YouTube, where the video has been posted. Others have chastised him for giving the West a chance to laugh at Islam.

He has also been deluged with threats sent by email.

Mr Haroon said that he had simply set out to make people laugh.

"I don't know if I'm brave or not. I'm a comedian. It's my job to make jokes about things," he said.

But he added that he was pleased his video had received supportive comments and started a debate about whether the burka had any place in Muslim society.

"Everyone has a right to say what they want. The crazies always shout loudest but I've also had positive comments from women in burkas who have come up to me after shows, saying how funny they found it," he said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkVl_7N-m3I&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1

Source

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
:lol:

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

here we go again,he should try hanging out with south park creators who were supposed to get stoned just recently,he might learn a thing or two

Timeline

here we go again,he should try hanging out with south park creators who were supposed to get stoned just recently,he might learn a thing or two

Is there no humor or satire in Islam?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Is there no humor or satire in Islam?

iranolymp2.jpg

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Timeline

I just don't understand the rage that comes along with any sort of satire of Islam.

ETA: I'm not trying to bait muslims, or mock Islam. I just don't understand how they can expect the rest of the world, to adhere to their rules regarding muhammad. I can understand muslims being held to such a standard, but I find the death threats absurd when a comic makes a joke, or cartoon.

Edited by Rob & Mel

Mr Haroon said that he had simply set out to make people laugh.

1030-02.jpg

ETA: I'm not trying to bait muslims, or mock Islam. I just don't understand how they can expect the rest of the world, to adhere to their rules regarding muhammad. I can understand muslims being held to such a standard, but I find the death threats absurd when a comic makes a joke, or cartoon.

You being one of the countless overbearing Muslim sympathizers I thinks its safe to say you dont need this disclaimer.

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

1030-02.jpg

You being one of the countless overbearing Muslim sympathizers I thinks its safe to say you dont need this disclaimer.

Where are all these other countless overbearing Muslim sympathizers to be found? I'd like to meet them :D

Timeline

Where are all these other countless overbearing Muslim sympathizers to be found? I'd like to meet them :D

You take that back. Steven might take my liberal credentials away. :lol: