Captain Oates

Passports -

63 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Its not about content, its about cost. IE its cheaper to travel within a continent that outside generally speaking.

That is true. However the Germans and the Brits and the Dutch etc go all over the world. The brits have an excuse because they are escaping the rain - but they all go to Peru and New Zealand and the USA and all over.

Also, aren't Americans supposed to be richer and therefore more able to travel ? Perhaps that is the answer because 2% of Americans own most of the country's wealth. Perhaps that is the answer, that most Americans do not have the resoureces of most Europeans. Overall the USA is richer but only a few people have money. Hum, perhaps that is it.

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline

missing home?

you know there's a way to fix that. :whistle:

I am at home dumbo

Edited by Alan the Red

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Also, aren't Americans supposed to be richer and therefore more able to travel ? Perhaps that is the answer because 2% of Americans own most of the country's wealth. Perhaps that is the answer, that most Americans do not have the resoureces of most Europeans. Overall the USA is richer but only a few people have money. Hum, perhaps that is it.

Compare vacation times among developed nations and how families are dispersed in the U.S.

Also try to work on your triple postings while sorting the mysteries of the universe and central Washington.

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011

Timeline

Compare vacation times among developed nations and how families are dispersed in the U.S.

Also try to work on your triple postings while sorting the mysteries of the universe and central Washington.

vacation times - another good point.

See - if people post sensibly and do not get paranoid and defensive about 'America being criticized' we could all learn something

Differences are interesting and examining them adds to understanding

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

That is true. However the Germans and the Brits and the Dutch etc go all over the world. The brits have an excuse because they are escaping the rain - but they all go to Peru and New Zealand and the USA and all over.

Other than my low amount of vacation, I make roughly 25% more here in the US then I did in the UK (and I'm not in the top 2%...maybe the top 30%?)

edit actually its more like 35% more here.

Edited by Sousuke

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Most Americans I know are richer than most Europeans I know. Purely anecdotal evidence, of course.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Timeline

Other than my low amount of vacation, I make roughly 25% more here in the US then I did in the UK (and I'm not in the top 2%...maybe the top 30%?)

Net after tax/car insurance/property tax/health insurance ?

Have you adopted the American norm of not travelling abroad or do you still travel like a European ?

I had been to many US States and Canada before I got my GC plus every European country (EC) and Australia, NZ, Middle East, Ukraine, Yugoslavia etc and it was the norm amongst the people I knew

Some did all that plus Peru and Kenya and Singapore, Hong Kong etc etc

It just seems to me that Americans hardly leave the country compared to the Europeans and it seems to be money which doesn't trickle down in society plus short vacations

The ones who do travel stay in nice hotels and rent nice cars - so that would tend to confirm that rich Americans with time seem to travel in style and the others stay at home

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Net after tax/car insurance/property tax/health insurance ?

Have you adopted the American norm of not travelling abroad or do you still travel like a European ?

I had been to many US States and Canada before I got my GC plus every European country (EC) and Australia, NZ, Middle East, Ukraine, Yugoslavia etc and it was the norm amongst the people I knew

Some did all that plus Peru and Kenya and Singapore, Hong Kong etc etc

It just seems to me that Americans hardly leave the country compared to the Europeans and it seems to be money which doesn't trickle down in society plus short vacations

The ones who do travel stay in nice hotels and rent nice cars - so that would tend to confirm that rich Americans with time seem to travel in style and the others stay at home

I only really could afford to travel around Europe at the time. I don't own property in either country at this time. My salary was just lower in the UK with slightly higher living costs. Same profession etc.

Timeline

I only really could afford to travel around Europe at the time. I don't own property in either country at this time. My salary was just lower in the UK with slightly higher living costs. Same profession etc.

I don't think you or I are 'the average' so it's hard to tell - but people I have spoken to don't seem to have the time or money to travel

I get the impression that they don't have the inclination to travel anyway and I often wonder why that is.

I haven't quite bottomed it yet as the US is pretty 'foreign' to Europeans and yet they come to Florida without many worries.

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline

If your "country" is as big as the freaking garden state of course you travel abroad. Who wants to honeymoon on the jersey shore? Only if it was foreign and exotic where people talked funny and ate new things.

I love the travelling to other countries because of the difference and so if people have the time and the money, I don't understand why they don't want to experience this

Sometimes it's a bad experience (like in the nationalist areas of South Wales where I was called Saxon who looks like a Saxon) - but it's always stumulating

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Timeline

I love the travelling to other countries because of the difference and so if people have the time and the money, I don't understand why they don't want to experience this

Sometimes it's a bad experience (like in the nationalist areas of South Wales where I was called Saxon who looks like a Saxon) - but it's always stumulating

There are neighborhoods within a 5 minute drive of me where it's like being in Guatemala or Brazil. Why go see the world when the world comes to you?