Canadiandggal

Where are you keeping your greencard

26 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Stupid question..probably but I am curious as to where everyone keeps there green card. I just got my sons and mine in the mail. "happy happy"

They are definitely small enough to put in my wallet but I do not want to ruin them or on the off chance that I misplace my purse I do not want to lose them. They were sent with a odd small envelope to shove them in for "protection and to prevent wireless communication with it" One can communicate through my card?

Anyways thanks guys

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Stupid question..probably but I am curious as to where everyone keeps there green card. I just got my sons and mine in the mail. "happy happy"

They are definitely small enough to put in my wallet but I do not want to ruin them or on the off chance that I misplace my purse I do not want to lose them. They were sent with a odd small envelope to shove them in for "protection and to prevent wireless communication with it" One can communicate through my card?

Anyways thanks guys

I can't remember what I did with mine when I was on it. Think I just kept it in my back pocket with all my other cards. Either that or maybe I just put it with my passport and left it at home...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Timeline

technically, i believe one is suppose to carry the card with you at all times! And sure if I was traveling I did, otherwise kept it locked up at home! After loosing my wallet with it in it, decided to keep it at home,lol! Luckily a very nice person found wallet and returned the whole contents to me!! Wouldn't even accept a reward!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If they gave you that little metal envelope thing it's because it has an RFID chip in it, the same as a passport. Makes sense considering you can use your green card to enter the country. My Nexus card has the same thing...I keep it in the sleeve in a zippered section of my wallet. I will probably do the same once I get my green card.

Oh, if someone has an RFID reader (criminal type people) they could potentially scan your card without your knowledge and steal your information. That's why it has a sleeve.

Met: December 2009

Married: April 2015

Received CR-1 visa: February 2017

POE (as IR-1): April 2017

Oath ceremony: November 2020

Timeline

I keep mine with me when I'm travelling, but when I'm not, it goes in the fire safe. Or in my top bedside table drawer until I can be bothered putting it in the fire safe. lol

ahh I keep telling my husband we need a fire safe! he refuses tho.. im always worried about my canadian documents and having to replace them if something happend to the house!

Anyway! to OP, I keep mine with my passport in my purse, in a different pocket than my walet but inside its little sleve in my passport. At first I thought its a bad idea but I feel its safer to keep it with me. I have colour copys of it at the house in a safe place tho incase something happend to my purse tho.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

I'm fairly certain that you are required to carry the greencard with you at all times because it's the only that shows you are in the country legally if asked whether or not you are a US Citizen. One of my co-workers is from New Zealand and he said was told to always carry his.

And we were watching Border Wars the other night, and they said the same thing - always carry it.

p.s. Excellent idea on the color copy! I did that with my passport and I also keep a picture of it on my cellphone in case I lose it when travelling.

Edited by kaya541

Timeline

p.s. Excellent idea on the color copy! I did that with my passport and I also keep a picture of it on my cellphone in case I lose it when travelling.

Ah! about the picture on a cell phone because im never without my cellphone! going to borrow your cell pic idea too! Thanks.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

ya, ur suppose to carry it--but loose it and it costs $$$$ to get a new 1.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I keep mine in my wallet. I see ICE cars a lot in my neighborhood and in NYC in general, so I figure I can never be too safe around here.

I was also asked one by a border guy while crossing where I keep it, and when I answered in my wallet, he approved and told me to make sure I have it on my at all times.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

I keep it at home in our filing cabinet. I don't carry it with me and I won't... I like to break the rules... I'm such a rebel...

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

In my wallet where they tell me to...not that anyone is ever going to pick me out of a crowd and say 'hey...you're an immigrant...let me see your documentation'...but you never know if you could be ina car accident or some other weird thing.

initially I resisted carrying it always but I figured the reasons to were stronger then not.

On the other hand - I wouldn't give my 18 yr old daughter hers to carry around if my life depended on it - she is extremely careless with her belongings

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

I keep mine in my wallet. I see ICE cars a lot in my neighborhood and in NYC in general, so I figure I can never be too safe around here.

I see ICE cars fairly frequently too. Not so much in my neighborhood, but all over the state in general.

I keep mine in my wallet- I'm not worried about losing it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.