keysjangle

Canadian planning on marrying into US Navy

20 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello there everyone, this is my first thread here but it seems like you're all very knowledgeable, and from just a quick look around I see you've dealt with Canadians coming to the United States before :)

So, here's our background: I'm 21, he's 27. I'm 2 semesters away from getting a Bachelor's degree from a very reputable Ontario university. He and I met online in 2006, and have been travelling back and forth since February 2009. I've spent 2 summers with him (4~ months total) plus five 2 week visits between the both of us. He's being moved to Hawaii in April and is in Florida currently. I'll be visiting him again for two weeks during my upcoming Christmas break as well. We are happy and very secure in our long distance, and have been thinking long term for a year or so now.

The dilemma: Due to issues with his advancement, he is not currently able to get BAH (paid to live off of base) and so we've been talking about alternative options to get the BAH. The most natural option seems to be to get married (or engaged) in my upcoming visit. I've told him before any decisions are made I want to go to Navy legal and get their advice, but I can't wait till then to get some ideas - and this is where I need all your help :)

The concerns:

- If we went through with a marriage, I don't think I'd be able to come back to Canada while the paper work/legal is being handled to finish my degree: Is this true?

- Would I be treated with preference because I'm in school/finishing a degree and marrying into the military?

- The costs!?!

- Would immigration grill me? I've heard horror stories before of women being humiliated when trying to move for marriage, i.e. personal questions about their sex lives

- The difference between a Fiancee Visa versus others.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but any tidbits of information or helpful links would be greatly appreciated

Thanks for your time :star:

USCIS

Jul 15/11 - Sent I-130 Package from Honolulu

Jul 18/11 - I-130 package received & signed for in Chicago
Jul 19/11 - Priority Date
Jul 21/11 - NOA1/USCIS Acceptance Confirmation received
Jul 29/11 - Received I-797C hard copy
Aug 4/11 - Touched
Feb 16/12 - NOA2 Approval (212 days since Priority Date)

NVC

Feb 28/12 - NVC Case Number, BIN & IIN Assigned, Optin E-mail for EP Sent

Mar 2/12 - DS-261 Submitted
Mar 5/12 - Electronic Processing Opt-in Accepted, AOS Invoiced & Paid
Mar 7/12 - NVC receive IV electronic package, AOS shows "Paid", AOS Package Sent
Mar 9/12 - IV Bill Invoiced & Paid
Mar 12/12 - AOS fee shows as "Not Paid - Rejected": Human error. AOS re-paid.
Mar 13/12 - IV is "Paid." Will have to be re-paid post imminent "Rejected" status. NVC e-mail "Checklist Cover Letter" asking for my $$$
Mar 14/12 - IV is "Rejected - Not Paid", Re-paid, AOS is "Paid"
Mar 16/12 - IV is "Paid", DS-260 submitted & Package sent
Mar 19/12 - IV Package Received
Mar 20/12 - Case Complete E-mail Received (21 days at NVC)

Final Steps

Apr 10/12 - Interview date assigned: May 9 @ 8:30AM

May 1/12 - Medical Date
May 9/12 - Interview result: Approved!
Jun 22/12 - POE
Jul 23/12 - SSN assigned
Aug 10/12 - Green card in hand

ROC

Mar 25/14 - ROC sent to CSC

Mar 28/14 - Package delivered to CSC

Apr 1/14 - Check cashed

Apr 3/14 - Received NOA1, Receipt Date: 3/28

Jun 15/14 - Move to San Diego

Jun 23/14 - RFE / Package sent: Aug 6, ETA Aug 8

Aug 22/14 - New Card in Production

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

- If we went through with a marriage, I don't think I'd be able to come back to Canada while the paper work/legal is being handled to finish my degree: Is this true?

Not true. You would, in fact, be expected to return to Canada and wait out the petition and visa application process. The only complication is that it might be more difficult to enter the US as a visitor after you've married because the CBP officers might suspect you intend to immigrate. (Entering the US with a non-immigrant entry pass with the intention of immigrating is not legal.)

Best not to start the visa process until you are ready to move permanently to the US.

- Would I be treated with preference because I'm in school/finishing a degree and marrying into the military?

Your being in school is irrelevant for immigration purposes. His being in the military might qualify for expedited processing, but only if he were being deployed outside the US. He'll have to meet 100% of the poverty guidelines to qualify as a sponsor (non-military people have to meet 125%), but even an E1 can meet 100% of the poverty guidelines. He may be able to get free advice and assistance if there is an immigration liaison office on his base.

Other than that, no preferential treatment.

- The costs!?!

Depends on what kind of visa. The total fees, start to finish, will range from around $1500 to over $2000.

- Would immigration grill me? I've heard horror stories before of women being humiliated when trying to move for marriage, i.e. personal questions about their sex lives

Only if they suspect you married primarily to get an immigration benefit. This sort of interrogation is relatively uncommon at the visa interviews at the US consulates in Canada. It sometimes happens at interviews at USCIS (green card interview, removal of conditions, etc). Again, not very common.

- The difference between a Fiancee Visa versus others.

Here's a good comparison:

http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

Very helpful, thank you.

So my best bet right now would be to consult Navy legal while visiting and prepare a timeline of sorts. Plan when I'll be finished with school and able to travel to the U.S. to stay long term, for example.

I suppose an engagement without any paperwork would be harmless?

Say I was to book my flight for that final long term visit where we planned on marriage. Would I get a return flight as well to show the U.S. customs agent on my way there (and just cancel it later) or start the paperwork in that period and return home as planned? For my two month trips I would have my full itinerary for them to see and my passport would be stamped with a B2 visa and I'd have no issues. I don't think I'd want to tell an airport agent "Yeah I plan on getting married that's why I didn't bother with a return flight, but I pinkie swear I'll get one once the papers are started".

(Entering the US with a non-immigrant entry pass with the intention of immigrating is not legal.)
- That seems a little ridiculous in the context of the marriage process :wacko: Edited by Gervl

USCIS

Aug 4/11 - Touched

NVC

Mar 7/12 - NVC receive IV electronic package, AOS shows "Paid", AOS Package Sent
Mar 13/12 - IV is "Paid." Will have to be re-paid post imminent "Rejected" status. NVC e-mail "Checklist Cover Letter" asking for my $$$

Final Steps

May 1/12 - Medical Date
Jun 22/12 - POE
Jul 23/12 - SSN assigned

ROC

Apr 1/14 - Check cashed

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Because you are married it does not entitle you to live in the US. And further, using a non-immigrant visa (such as entering the US as a tourist) with the intentions of immigrating is not legal, as Jim said. if it was, there would be no use for a formal immigration system - everyone would just arrive...and stay. Cannot you not see why that would cause problems?

If you enter the US, you should have ties to Canada, a job, a lease, enrollment in school, car payments, utility bills, etc. Especially if engaged or married to a US citizen. I always err on the side of extra caution due to the fact I was denied entry into the US. If you decide to marry during that time, return to Canada to complete the immigration process

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Okay, here is my opinion. Take it as just an opinion.

If you are willing to be married and living apart, do the CR-1. You can get married over Christmas on your next visit, as long as you have time to get the marriage license together and whatnot, from whichever office you get it from in Florida.

Or, you can get married on your next visit there, later in the year.

The reason I suggest the CR-1 is because you are stuck in Ontario waiting out school, so you have to be here anyway... and the CR-1 may take a bit longer, but remember - you're here anyway doing school! so what is a few extra months? you say 2 more semesters... so you'll be here til at least next December, and it may take just a year or a little over a year to do the CR-1, so you are good that way. And the CR-1 is cheaper than the K-1 (fiance visa), AND you will have your green card immediately, and not have to wait several months for work authorization to get a job in the US. That can be a lot of student loan payments!! (if you have any!)

Also, Jim mentioned visiting while you have a visa pending is harder... is it, but it won't be impossible. Especially if you're enrolled in school. That is a great tie to Canada, especially since you most likely either live in the dorms or have a lease. Also good ties to Canada. So, visiting with a CR-1 pending, while in school is definitely doable.

We personally filed for the K-1, but truthfully, I wish we had done the CR-1 visa for some reasons. The reason we didnt was because we didn't want to be apart during our first year of marriage... but looking back, we've been apart for almost 3 years anyway, so we could have managed to be apart for another year, as a married couple. CR-1 is cheaper, we could have had our real, actual white wedding after I moved there for good, and I would have been able to work immediately.

Again, just my opinion!

What school are you at?! I'm at the U of Windsor doing my Bachelor of Education (ie- teacher's college as everyone here calls it!) :)

May 25th, 2010 : Filed I-129F at CSC

June 1st, 2010 : NoA1

June 7th, 2010 : Touch

October 19th, 2010: Touch

October 20th, 2010: NoA2! (141 days)

November 8th, 2010: Received Packet 3 from Montreal

November 10th, 2010: Sent Packet 3 back to Montreal

November 25th: Received Packet 4 & Scheduled interview!

March 8th, 2011: Interview in Montreal - Approved!

April 30th, 2011: Move to CA

May 6th, 2011: Married <3

May 31st, 2011: Filed AOS

June 6th, 2011: NoA1

June 13th, 2011: Received Notice for Biometrics

July 7th, 2011: Biometrics

August 22, 2011: AOS Interview - Approved!

August 29th, 2011: Greencard in hand!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Very helpful, thank you.

So my best bet right now would be to consult Navy legal while visiting and prepare a timeline of sorts. Plan when I'll be finished with school and able to travel to the U.S. to stay long term, for example.

Navy legal? No, I don't think they can help you, nor would they if they could. You're a foreign national, and not a member of the US Navy.

Some bases have an immigration liaison office that can help Navy personnel with immigration related matters, including filing petitions with USCIS. If your fiance's base has an immigration liaison office then your fiance can utilize their services the way he would utilize the services of an immigration attorney, but it's free.

You work out your timeline with your fiance. That will dictate when he submits the petition to get things started.

I suppose an engagement without any paperwork would be harmless?

I don't understand the relevance of this statement. You don't need any documentation, either from the US government or the US Navy, in order get engaged. Depending on his position, he may have to report his relationship with you to the Navy. Having a relationship with a foreign national may affect his security clearance.

Say I was to book my flight for that final long term visit where we planned on marriage. Would I get a return flight as well to show the U.S. customs agent on my way there (and just cancel it later) or start the paperwork in that period and return home as planned? For my two month trips I would have my full itinerary for them to see and my passport would be stamped with a B2 visa and I'd have no issues. I don't think I'd want to tell an airport agent "Yeah I plan on getting married that's why I didn't bother with a return flight, but I pinkie swear I'll get one once the papers are started".

You don't understand the process yet. You really should read the guides (link at the top of any page). The visa process begins with the US citizen filing a petition with USCIS. You, the foreign beneficiary, do not have to be in the United States when he submits the petition. In fact, for a great many of us (myself included), our fiancee's or wives didn't step foot into the United States for the first time until AFTER the entire visa process was finished, and they had their visas.

Do not lie to the CBP officer at the port of entry, under any circumstances. You don't have to volunteer the fact that you're getting married, but if they ask then you absolutely must tell them the truth. It's far easier than you think to get caught lying or find yourself in secondary inspection being grilled by an ICE officer for a few hours. If they catch you lying about a material fact that could affect whether or not you will be admitted to the US then you'll be banned from entering for 5 years, 10 years, or even the rest of your life.

- That seems a little ridiculous in the context of the marriage process :wacko:

Not ridiculous at all. There are visas for fiancee's and spouses of US citizens to immigrate to the US. The government expects you to go through the proper visa process, and get the appropriate type of visa if you intend to immigrate. A visitor's visa is for visiting - nothing more. You can get married while visiting with a visitor's visa, but staying is immigrating. People who are immigrating to the United States are processed for immigration - background checks and criminal history, health related inadmissibilities, the likelihood of becoming a public charge, etc. Non-immigrants are not processed the same way because it's expected they won't be staying indefinitely. For this reason, it's substantially faster and easier to get a visa or entry pass to visit the US as a non-immigrant. It is illegal to use the faster and easier non-immigrant entry with the intention of immigrating.

This doesn't mean you can't enter the US as a non-immigrant visitor, even though you eventually intend to immigrate. It just isn't legal to enter with a non-immigrant visitor's visa if you intend to stay and become an immigrant before you leave again.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

Okay, so, some of what I've gathered:

- Patience is mandatory and it pays off

- I already knew I would need him to petition, but not that I didn't have to be physically present

- It's better off if we start the process once I'm ready to stay

- I have to look into the CR1 some more (vs. other visa types) and he can go to his liaison to gather information

- I already knew not to lie/mess with customs; I have a friend who moved to marry a guy in New Orleans and she got denied entry for a visit because she didn't have enough ties to home. Got pulled into an interrogation room and the whole shabang. Moral: Customs can ruin your plans if you're not ready.

- And yes, I know getting engaged doesn't need to be documented on my part (or any part under normal circumstances), but I would like to clarify with him whether he needs to disclose the information to anyone

I am pretty new at dealing with all this. This is the first time I've felt a sense of urgency in beginning to really digest the information - and there's a lot. So I apologize for any redundancy on my part haha. Thanks again for the information and I'll be looking more into the resources on the website for sure.

USCIS

Aug 4/11 - Touched

NVC

Final Steps

May 1/12 - Medical Date
Jun 22/12 - POE
Jul 23/12 - SSN assigned

ROC

Apr 1/14 - Check cashed

Timeline

Be sure to check out the guides - they are super helpful no matter which visa you pursue, and the wikis can be helpful, too.

Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The dilemma: Due to issues with his advancement, he is not currently able to get BAH (paid to live off of base) and so we've been talking about alternative options to get the BAH. The most natural option seems to be to get married (or engaged) in my

What do you mean due to issues with his advancement, he is not currently able to get BAH? Rank doesn't matter when it comes to receiving BAH, nor does it matter where they're going to station him. As long as you're married you will receive it, or if you're rank E-5 and above you can receive BAH even if you aren't married and want to live off base.

N-400
05/30/2013 Sent N-400 package to AZ lockbox via USPS priority mail with delivery confirmation
06/14/2013 Biometrics letter received
06/17/2013 Early Biometrics

06/19/2013 In line for interview
08/08/2013 Scheduled for interview
08/13/2013 Received interview letter
09/16/2013 Interview (Passed)

10/25/2013 Scheduled for oath

10/29/2013 Received oath letter

11/15/2013 Oath

ROC Process I-751
1/12/2010 Sent I-751 package to CSC via USPS Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation
1/25/2010 Received NOA1
2/04/2010 Received Biometrics Letter
3/29/2010 Approved. Card Production ordered.
4/03/2010 Card Received! (Total: 81 days)

Timeline

My opinion,

And this is if you are absolutely certain you want to get married, Get married and start the paperwork (CR1 6-10 months) you have 2 semesters left in school, Should be no problem with time line. Medical will be in Toronto/Montreal and interview in Montreal in the later/last stages so be prepared to travel.

Personally I never had troubles visiting while married, I just always showed return ticket with my passport and other ties (course schedule) I was also a student, although they never asked for any other ties it was good to have with me if they did.

Living in base housing shouldn't be a problem as long as it is a 'joint residence' and you CAN live there for when it is approved. So I would get that in order before filing the paperwork.

Otherwise, I would start looking at the guide as to what information is needed so you two can start putting evidence of relationship together. (stamps in passport if you have any, Boarding passes, pics of you both with friends and family, call logs) You must prove relationship is real and not just by word of mouth. I know I didn't get passport stamped when I traveled so I had to document that when we filed and support it with other information. PITA :)

Have fun but if it were me and I was serious I would start collecting stuff now from when the relationship started...

K-3 Visa Interview Date : 2009-10-19 Approved POE: 2009-10-28 Emerson ND

See time-line or Profile for more info

EAD

2010-06-07: Date Filed

2010-10-16: EAD in hand!

2010-10-23: SSN Received in normal post!!

AoS- Chicago Lock Box

2010-10-18(Day 1): Mailed again :)

2011-03-17(Day 159): Interview - Review file response

2011-03-18(Day 160): Card production email/text for Green Card!

2011-03-21(Day 163): Welcome to USA letter received

2011-03-22(Day 164): Another text for card production! Start printing GC?

2011-03-23(Day 165): Text/email moving into post decision activity! Mail GC?

2011-03-26(Day 168): GC in hand and done for 3-10 years depending on the citizenship decision...Still unsure!

N400 - Dallas Lock box

2017-02-13(Day 1): Finally made the decision to apply for citizenship. Package went in mail

2017-02-16(Day 4): 1st NOA "went background checks are complete interview will be scheduled" no mention of Biometrics

2017-03-03(Day 15) Biometrics letter arrives scheduled for 2017-03-13 Might try a walk in earlier

Timeline

What do you mean due to issues with his advancement, he is not currently able to get BAH? Rank doesn't matter when it comes to receiving BAH, nor does it matter where they're going to station him. As long as you're married you will receive it, or if you're rank E-5 and above you can receive BAH even if you aren't married and want to live off base.

Within his command you have to be E4 to get BAH without a spouse/dependents. Or, if the barracks are very full they can get BAH easier, but at the time they aren't... or if he has 2000lbs worth of stuff, which he does not.. so on and so forth. He's working on his advancement, but the percent of people they allow to advance was way too slim this time around although he passed with flying colours. Totally out of his hands but we're not letting it dissuade us. He currently lives with a friend off base (technically still in barracks) but that won't be an option once he moves to Hawaii unless he has BAH, and this is why we've started looking at our options.

My opinion,

And this is if you are absolutely certain you want to get married, Get married and start the paperwork (CR1 6-10 months) you have 2 semesters left in school, Should be no problem with time line. Medical will be in Toronto/Montreal and interview in Montreal in the later/last stages so be prepared to travel.

Personally I never had troubles visiting while married, I just always showed return ticket with my passport and other ties (course schedule) I was also a student, although they never asked for any other ties it was good to have with me if they did.

Living in base housing shouldn't be a problem as long as it is a 'joint residence' and you CAN live there for when it is approved. So I would get that in order before filing the paperwork.

Otherwise, I would start looking at the guide as to what information is needed so you two can start putting evidence of relationship together. (stamps in passport if you have any, Boarding passes, pics of you both with friends and family, call logs) You must prove relationship is real and not just by word of mouth. I know I didn't get passport stamped when I traveled so I had to document that when we filed and support it with other information. PITA :)

Have fun but if it were me and I was serious I would start collecting stuff now from when the relationship started...

We have a lot of pictures together both in Toronto and in Florida, so that shouldn't be a problem. I should have itineraries in my inbox (we both fly on my Aeroplan miles, so I get the itineraries sent to me and thankfully I've kept a few). I don't have any boarding passes or anything, but my passport has been stamped with B2 Visas a couple times, and I'm not sure about his. I'd have to ask. Perhaps he's kept some of his leave paperwork - god knows he ever organizes his room :lol: I'll definitely start piling up whatever I can find and any future items like boarding passes.

I always brought extra documentation with me like pay stubs, school documents and always had a return date set on my itinerary. I'm glad I've been alerted to this early on though so I have lots of time to dig around and start collecting.

USCIS

Aug 4/11 - Touched

NVC

Final Steps

May 1/12 - Medical Date
Jun 22/12 - POE
Jul 23/12 - SSN assigned

ROC

Apr 1/14 - Check cashed

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

As a military member, I know that if you get married you WILL get the BAH with dependent rate. However, with the Navy I have known of situations where he will still be required to live on the boat/barracks. Since the money is primarily of the dependent when you have not yet reached the appropriate rank and/or the boat/barracks still has plenty of space. So you may get the BAH (the ammount will probably be based on where YOU the spouse is located- although I'm not sure how the do it for international couples). He should also be getting seperation pay and you would have medical benefits as well. But more than likely he will still be expected to maintain a room in the barracks or a bed on the boat...I see that happen ALOT here in Norfolk.

Timeline

Great success! Dug out his boarding passes from his trip here 2 weeks ago ... from the garbage. Whatever it takes to build up proof, I'm up for it :lol:

USCIS

Aug 4/11 - Touched

NVC

Final Steps

May 1/12 - Medical Date
Jun 22/12 - POE
Jul 23/12 - SSN assigned

ROC

Apr 1/14 - Check cashed

Timeline
Great success! Dug out his boarding passes from his trip here 2 weeks ago ... from the garbage. Whatever it takes to build up proof, I'm up for it :lol:

HA I remember doing that to. I didn't know what I needed at the time :dance:

Brandi

K-3 Visa Interview Date : 2009-10-19 Approved POE: 2009-10-28 Emerson ND

See time-line or Profile for more info

EAD

2010-06-07: Date Filed

2010-10-16: EAD in hand!

2010-10-23: SSN Received in normal post!!

AoS- Chicago Lock Box

2010-10-18(Day 1): Mailed again :)

2011-03-17(Day 159): Interview - Review file response

2011-03-18(Day 160): Card production email/text for Green Card!

2011-03-21(Day 163): Welcome to USA letter received

2011-03-22(Day 164): Another text for card production! Start printing GC?

2011-03-23(Day 165): Text/email moving into post decision activity! Mail GC?

2011-03-26(Day 168): GC in hand and done for 3-10 years depending on the citizenship decision...Still unsure!

N400 - Dallas Lock box

2017-02-13(Day 1): Finally made the decision to apply for citizenship. Package went in mail

2017-02-16(Day 4): 1st NOA "went background checks are complete interview will be scheduled" no mention of Biometrics

2017-03-03(Day 15) Biometrics letter arrives scheduled for 2017-03-13 Might try a walk in earlier

Timeline

good dedication, Gervl! haha I like your style :P

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.