newlyweds2010

change of address with AOS pending

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

We got the interview letter a few weeks ago, interview scheduled first week of December. Meanwhile, we moved to a different city, but we are ok to go back to the old place for the interview (we already bought the plane tickets). Now today is the 10th day after we moved, therefore we have to notify the change of address using form AR-11 (US spouse will use form I-865, but there are 30 days after moving to do so).

Obviously I will have to do it today to comply with the law, but will this interfere with the interview date/venue? As said, we are ok about going back to the old place + now the interview is so close that we don't want to mess things up and risk having the interview postponed. Any ideas?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
We got the interview letter a few weeks ago, interview scheduled first week of December. Meanwhile, we moved to a different city, but we are ok to go back to the old place for the interview (we already bought the plane tickets). Now today is the 10th day after we moved, therefore we have to notify the change of address using form AR-11 (US spouse will use form I-865, but there are 30 days after moving to do so).

Obviously I will have to do it today to comply with the law, but will this interfere with the interview date/venue? As said, we are ok about going back to the old place + now the interview is so close that we don't want to mess things up and risk having the interview postponed. Any ideas?

I believe that as you moved AFTER the interview was scheduled (or after they'd sent the notice) that it's up to you whether you arrange a new one, or attend the original. I would think they will assume you will attend the original unless you ask them to move it.. just like I think you'd be denied if you didn't go because you "thought" they'd change it.

The change of address stuff just changes your address, as far as I'm aware no-one looks into your file to see whether anything needs to be done, you have to tell them. So don't tell them and just go to the original interview.

Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

I believe that as you moved AFTER the interview was scheduled (or after they'd sent the notice) that it's up to you whether you arrange a new one, or attend the original. I would think they will assume you will attend the original unless you ask them to move it.. just like I think you'd be denied if you didn't go because you "thought" they'd change it.

The change of address stuff just changes your address, as far as I'm aware no-one looks into your file to see whether anything needs to be done, you have to tell them. So don't tell them and just go to the original interview.

Good luck!

but obviously I still change address within today, right?

by the way, what should I answer to:

- "I am in the United States as"? I came as a K1 holder but is this still the way I am here?

- "my stay in the U.S. expires on"? my I-94 expired months ago but since I applied for AOS my status is pending. I don't have any expiration date.

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
but obviously I still change address within today, right?

by the way, what should I answer to:

- "I am in the United States as"? I came as a K1 holder but is this still the way I am here?

- "my stay in the U.S. expires on"? my I-94 expired months ago but since I applied for AOS my status is pending. I don't have any expiration date.

Thanks

I would still change it to cover your butt.

- You are still a K1 yes

- This is where it's hard, when I did this I couldn't select the option that showed "my stay expires on" because it wouldn't accept a past date (mine was definitely past it's expiration), and it wouldn't let me leave it blank so i had to effectively "lie" to get it to go through.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.