Sandyb

Any medical provisions avail..

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello this is my first time..need your help. My daughter US citizen married colombia man Aug 7th 2010. They both are 26yrs old & first marriage and no children. They are happily married but my daughter has taken ill (not pregnant)needs to come home for care and support. Her husband has a passport but not have a visa to travel to the States. We know that her health is of most importance but she is unable to travel alone. What is the best way to handle this situation for them to come to America. I've tried to research this myself would a DCF be the best or is there a medical provision that we can look into. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Please help!!

Thanks in advance for your help..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Where is she right now? What country?

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

i think i know, your us citizen daugther is in colombia married to a colombian he has a passport but he needs a visa, your daugther is ill and needs to come to the us for medical treatment, and see can't traval alone, so you want to know how should you go about it dfc visa 1-130 cri my opion contact the embassy tell about your us citizen daugther needs medical treat very soon an needs her husban to traval with her,to the us, thay my just think it's not true about you ill ness good luck

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I am afraid there is no "accompanying" visa for health reasons or for a minor or anything.

How quickly does your daughter need to come over? If she must be in the USA in the next few days/ weeks, the best thing would be to look into hiring a traveling nurse, or for a US relative to travel down and accompany her. If she has a few weeks, and there are no red flags for the husband (no previous overstay, major criminal conviction, drug use etc), then DCF can be done in 2-4 months if you are prepared, maybe quicker if she contacts the local US embassy and explains the urgency.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

Thanks each one for your thoughtfulness in your reply. :thumbs: To answer a few of the questions that came up from your reading my post...My daughter is in Bogota'. She has passed out twice while on the bus falling over people that were sitting but they were kind enough to help instead of hurt. This has happened twice within a 1 month period. The second time her husband took her to the hospital that night because she was still dizzy, had a bad headache and was very weak. The next day she went to her doctor that did blood work and she is soon to see a neurologist. So we do have documentation by her doctor of her illness.

The reason she cannot travel alone is because we feel its unsafe, she continue to feel faint not knowing when she will pass out. She continue to have headaches and weakness. She was traveling to work but now she is doing some work from home but is exhausted during the day. Of course this is a scary situation for them both and for us as well. . So this is our delima.

Thanks again for sharing your suggestions.

Thanks each one for your thoughtfulness in your reply. :thumbs: To answer a few of the questions that came up from your reading my post...My daughter is in Bogota'. She has passed out twice while on the bus falling over people that were sitting but they were kind enough to help instead of hurt. This has happened twice within a 1 month period. The second time her husband took her to the hospital that night because she was still dizzy, had a bad headache and was very weak. The next day she went to her doctor that did blood work and she is soon to see a neurologist. So we do have documentation by her doctor of her illness.

The reason she cannot travel alone is because we feel its unsafe, she continue to feel faint not knowing when she will pass out. She continue to have headaches and weakness. She was traveling to work but now she is doing some work from home but is exhausted during the day. Of course this is a scary situation for them both and for us as well. . So this is our delima.

Thanks again for sharing your suggestions.

I'm sorry to read of your daughter's illness. How long is the flight?

I would be concerned about air travel, due to increased air pressure and suggest you ask her Docs about their opinion on whether she is medically fit to fly. Some airlines won't carry passengers with certain conditions, so if getting home is crucial and air is the only way, you might want to do it ASAP in case whatever her diagnosis turns out to be is one she's not allowed to fly with.

If you decide that she needs to head to the US soon, then I would fly a USC family down to Bogota to accompany her home.

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

Timeline

If by chance the doctor is able to treat my daughter or her health improves so that she is able to travel or if I go there to care and be with her for the next few months until they reach their 6mos of being married (Feb 2011), which Visa should they considered to expedite things for her husband to come to the States.

My daughter and her husband are both working and had always planned to live in Bogota' but now that her health is at risk he has been very understanding in accepting to come. His family lives in another town and is not able to assist them. My husband is a Colombian (40yrs USC) and his family is there in Bogota' but they are older and it would be a hardship on them as well. So we have to do what is best for her, which they both have come to grips with at this time. Which route should we take??...any suggestions??

Thanks again...Sandyb

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

She can petition for a CR-1 visa. How long has she been legally resident in Colombia? She can send off the paperwork once she has been a resident there for 6 months, even if she hasn't been married 6 months.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Direct Consular Filing sounds like the best route if your daughter can wait to travel.

If she needs to travel NOW, she might have to do it alone, but perhaps she can file the I-130 Petition for Alien Relative at the US Embassy BEFORE leaving (that is if she has been living there for 6 months at least). Contact the US Embassy ASAP for specifics as each Embassy's requirements vary a bit, but generally she will need:

- Original and copy of her US Passport

- Copy of his Colombian passport

- Original and copy of their marriage certificate

- 1 2"x2" photograph of petitioner and beneficiary

- Form I-130

- Form G-325A for each (petitioner and beneficiary)

More information here: http://bogota.usembassy.gov/iv-apply.html & http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-130instr.pdf

Also see the Direct Consular Filing (DCF) Forum here in Visa Journey.

Best of luck!

Edited by cherriesss

My Visa Journey:

Dec-15-2008..... Got Married!

Aug-20-2010..... Filed I-130 at U.S. Embassy

Sep-15-2010..... NOA 1 Received

Sep-23-2010..... Packet 3 Instructions Received from U.S. Embassy

Nov-19-2010..... Packet 3 Handed in to U.S. Embassy

Nov-19-2010..... Packet 4 (Appointment Letter) Instructions Received from U.S. Embassy

Nov-20-2010..... Medical Examination Completed

Dec-06-2010..... Interview - Visa Approved!

Dec-13-2010..... Visa In Hand!

May-02-2011..... Port of Entry - IR-1

May-16-2011..... Social Security Card Received

May-21-2011..... Green Card Received

Timeline

UPDATE: First I want to Thank all for your suggestions and directions...I am in daily contact with my daughter and she is feeling some better still having on going headaches and fatigue. Her & her husband have decided to wait until their 6mos of marriage Feb 2011, UNLESS she experience another episole. She has another doctor appointment next week and hopeful they will be able to tell her something. Also she is able to work from home on some days (a lot safer) where she can rest as needed, and they changed their traveling schedule so they travel together now, a little inconvience but it's working for now.

It was suggested that they should apply for a CR-1, Would a DCF not be quicker and less expensive?

I will keep you updated as time goes forward, again THANKS :yes:

Glad to hear of the progress Sandyb.

To clear things up for you, the IR-1 (Immediate Relative) and CR-1 (Conditional Relative) are the visa types which your daughter and her husband will apply for. Direct Consular Filing (DCF) is an informal name given to the process of applying for an immigrant visa via a US Embassy abroad, usually when both the petitioner and the beneficiary are living abroad.

So, in summary, your daughter will petition for a IR-1/CR-1 for her husband using the DCF route. :)

My Visa Journey:

Nov-19-2010..... Packet 4 (Appointment Letter) Instructions Received from U.S. Embassy

Timeline

UPDATE: First I want to Thank all for your suggestions and directions...I am in daily contact with my daughter and she is feeling some better still having on going headaches and fatigue. Her & her husband have decided to wait until their 6mos of marriage Feb 2011, UNLESS she experience another episole. She has another doctor appointment next week and hopeful they will be able to tell her something. Also she is able to work from home on some days (a lot safer) where she can rest as needed, and they changed their traveling schedule so they travel together now, a little inconvience but it's working for now.

It was suggested that they should apply for a CR-1, Would a DCF not be quicker and less expensive?

I will keep you updated as time goes forward, again THANKS :yes:

***************As you can see Cherriness your reply as just a few minutes ahead of my reply....Thanks for your help and direction as we will start reviewing this information asap.

Oh, I should add that the IR-1 will be given to her husband if they have been married for 2 years or more when entering the US. If they have been married for less than 2 years when entering the US, he will receive the CR-1 which is equally a green card but has a condition that must be removed before they have their 2-year anniversary.

My Visa Journey:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.