22 posts in this topic

I am reading some of the guides now and looking around the site :)

Thank you all for the help in pointing me in the right direction, and the advice. it seems much easier than I originally thought and the only problem seems to be the time we will have to wait.

I have a book by him sitting in front of me Shal

Which one? I've read them all except maybe the last of the Aztec sequels which were finished by other authors after he died.

I am reading some of the guides now and looking around the site :)

Thank you all for the help in pointing me in the right direction, and the advice. it seems much easier than I originally thought and the only problem seems to be the time we will have to wait.

I have a book by him sitting in front of me Shal

True,there will be some amount of waiting involved, but on the upside (and it's BIG upside), you can wait it out in the US with your new spouse, rather than having to return to Canada and be separated for months as you would if you applied for a visa.

As for the cost, it's true, the lawyer was adding about $1500 to the actual cost. Adjustment of status could take anywhere from 3 months - year, but will probably be on the lower end of that and again, you can remain in the States with your spouse so why not?! If you do the paperwork yourself (which you can definitely do - just follow the instructions and use the guides and example forms on here), it's $1010 to file for the greencard, Employment Auth Document, and Permission for Advance Parole (travel doc) all at once. Those fees will be increasing slightly as of Nov 23, but it's still nowhere near the $2500 you were quoted. Keep in mind that when a lawyer quotes you an amount, it still isn't going to include things like the cost of a medical or the 6 passport photos needed if you file for all three items. So you'll actually be paying over and above that; whereas if you do it yourself, it's $1010 (or thereabouts) plus the medical, photos, etc..MUCH cheaper!

Plus, no one knows you better than you. If you're reviewing and inputting the info on the forms (which are free and can be downloaded on USCIS.gov, by the way), it's easier for you to submit correct info the first place and proofread before sending. Personally I don't like the idea of documents sitting on a paralegals desk for more days than they have to, or having to work with their assistants to correct info that you likely would've caught yourself because it's your biographical information. Just my thought.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Congrats form one canuck to another. We filed the cr-1 visa ourself and learned everything here at VJ and saved ourselves a bundle of $$$. You can totally do this yourself and save some money. The people and advice here is amazing!!

Good luck.

Feb 14, 2010 - Engaged :-)
Apr 17, 2010 - Married
May 24, 2010 - I-130 Sent to USCIS
Oct 20, 2010 - : I-130 NOA2 APPROVED..GOD IS GOOD!!!!! smile.png
Oct 26, 2010 : NVC Received
Dec 06, 2010 - Case Complete at NVC
Jan 24, 2011 - Medical exam
Feb 24, 2011 - Passed, welcome to USA
Mar 04, 2011 - POE - Detroit, MI
Mar 14, 2011 - SSN# Rec'd
Mar 24, 2011 - smile.png GC and Welcome Letter
Sept 19, 2011- Filed I-130 for my son (his step son)
June 14, 2013-APPROVED, 10 YR GC IN THE MAIL

Mar 3, 2014- N-400

May 12, 2014 Interview for Citizenship- PASSED!

June 12th, USA citizen - Oath Ceremony...all done here!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey, just to let you know I have personal experience with this topic so if you need anything let me know.

My (then boyfriend) came to New Jersey with me from Edmonton to meet my parents and spend the summer by the beach. He was planning on going back at the end of the trip and we were going to figure it out from there. After a few months I guess he felt the time was right and proposed, so we just decided to try to do everything from inside the country. I believe that as a Canadian Citizen he was allowed to be in the country as a legal visitor for up to 6 months, so if possible I would try to adhere to that timeline. He arrived in July 2007 and we got married and filed for AOS in November 2007 so we let 5 months go by and there wasn't a problem.

The main obstacle we faced was that they wanted proof that we didn't know we were getting married when we got here. If they have reasonable doubt or find evidence that you came here for the purpose of getting married it is fraud and from what I hear there are some pretty hefty consequences. We had an immigration lawyer in NYC take care of our paperwork and he wanted us to know that there was always the risk they didnt believe us. We sent them copies of the return ticket home that we had booked, as well as notarized affidavits from both of our families stating that it was just supposed to be a vacation all along.

Everything went smoothly, and btw they did ask us about it in the interview because it was labled "visitor" on the application. They asked where we entered, how, and what we told the border agent our purpose for coming in was. That went smoothly too, but our interviewer was super nice and I'm sure you might not have as much luck with a grumpy one!

If you have any questions feel free to ask! and Best of luck!

True,there will be some amount of waiting involved, but on the upside (and it's BIG upside), you can wait it out in the US with your new spouse, rather than having to return to Canada and be separated for months as you would if you applied for a visa.

As for the cost, it's true, the lawyer was adding about $1500 to the actual cost. Adjustment of status could take anywhere from 3 months - year, but will probably be on the lower end of that and again, you can remain in the States with your spouse so why not?! If you do the paperwork yourself (which you can definitely do - just follow the instructions and use the guides and example forms on here), it's $1010 to file for the greencard, Employment Auth Document, and Permission for Advance Parole (travel doc) all at once. Those fees will be increasing slightly as of Nov 23, but it's still nowhere near the $2500 you were quoted. Keep in mind that when a lawyer quotes you an amount, it still isn't going to include things like the cost of a medical or the 6 passport photos needed if you file for all three items. So you'll actually be paying over and above that; whereas if you do it yourself, it's $1010 (or thereabouts) plus the medical, photos, etc..MUCH cheaper!

Plus, no one knows you better than you. If you're reviewing and inputting the info on the forms (which are free and can be downloaded on USCIS.gov, by the way), it's easier for you to submit correct info the first place and proofread before sending. Personally I don't like the idea of documents sitting on a paralegals desk for more days than they have to, or having to work with their assistants to correct info that you likely would've caught yourself because it's your biographical information. Just my thought.

You adjusted from a K-1 visa, so you are forgetting the important (!) fact that the OP also needs to file a I-130, not ONLY the I-485. That takes the price to $1365 or more if they file after Nov 23 (fees are going up a bit).

OP: You need to file CONCURRENT I-130/I-485.

Here is the guide

http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

Here is the appropriate forum:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/130-adjustment-of-status-from-work-student-tourist-visas/

If you go to the forum for adjusting from family-based visas (read K-1) then you might get some strange advice as the processes are different.

Also, the process is taking about 3-4 months right now.

Good luck!

EDIT: Regarding intent, they have become more lax on the burden of proof on that lately. Jim has said (give credit where credit is due ;)) it is due to some precedent cases that have established that intent alone is not a reason to deny. So OP, if you know you didn't come with intent to immigrate, then be confident and go forth!

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi welcome to San Diego!! I am glad you are here with your sweetheart as I am waiting to get my sweetie here TO San Diego. Seems like you have a lot of good advice and I wish you luck with everything. Fun in the sun?? What sun?? :) Take care.....

Filed: Timeline

Hello, and welcome to VJ. :)

I am going to transfer your thread to the Adjustment of Status From Other Visa forum. That's the one that's most pertinent to your situation. Don't forget to stop by the Canada Regional Forum. You'll find a lot of helpful advice from Canadians who have been-there-done-that.

Cheers.

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.