beans

i-9 verification

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

So, in September I was hired at a regional health office. I filled out the I-9 form supplied them my SSN, green card, and drivers license. On Saturday, HR e-mailed me stating there was a discrepancy with the SSA. Today, they came to my office made me fill out a form saying I contest the information, or non-contest. Saying I don't contest could lead to my termination. It turns out the discrepancy is that they listed me as a US citizen and not an LPR. When they ran the verification DHS or SSA or both said no you're crazy. I then asked the lady what the discrepancy was and she said my name and social given don't match. I asked her to physically show me the form where they check off what the issue was and it said "SSA unable to confirm US Citizenship" I then told the lady I'm not a US citizen but an LPR. She claimed she didn't know, and that I'd still have to sign the form. Basically, I freaked out went to my boss in a tizzy and now I have a meeting with essentially the head of HR tomorrow morning. Has anyone come across anything like this? And will this have a negative impact on my immigration or anything in the future? I'd hate for DHS to think that I'm going around claiming I'm a citizen for someone elses mistake. And, if I statisfy to them that I meet the requirements to be gainfully employed in the US, will I still have to go to SSA?

I'm sorry if this post makes no sense, but seriously my brain is freaking out.

I-751 file: 11/07/11

NOA1 date: 11/10/11

Biometrics: 11/30/11

Approval: 08/17/12

Hold what you got and maintain.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

So, in September I was hired at a regional health office. I filled out the I-9 form supplied them my SSN, green card, and drivers license. On Saturday, HR e-mailed me stating there was a discrepancy with the SSA. Today, they came to my office made me fill out a form saying I contest the information, or non-contest. Saying I don't contest could lead to my termination. It turns out the discrepancy is that they listed me as a US citizen and not an LPR. When they ran the verification DHS or SSA or both said no you're crazy. I then asked the lady what the discrepancy was and she said my name and social given don't match. I asked her to physically show me the form where they check off what the issue was and it said "SSA unable to confirm US Citizenship" I then told the lady I'm not a US citizen but an LPR. She claimed she didn't know, and that I'd still have to sign the form. Basically, I freaked out went to my boss in a tizzy and now I have a meeting with essentially the head of HR tomorrow morning. Has anyone come across anything like this? And will this have a negative impact on my immigration or anything in the future? I'd hate for DHS to think that I'm going around claiming I'm a citizen for someone elses mistake. And, if I statisfy to them that I meet the requirements to be gainfully employed in the US, will I still have to go to SSA?

Hello This happen to me too I was a GC holder , Change jobs and the new Job got the same letter , I of course contested , and asked me to call a # to verify , when I called they explained they have my last names with a - in the middle the lady in the phone said no problem and that whas it

I apply for N400 a year later and became citizen with No issues

Best of lucj

2010Oct04 Filed AOS EAD AP

2010Oct19 NOA1( I485, I130, AP and EAD)

2010Nov09 Biometrics Appoitment Scheduled

2010 Nov 19 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled 9:45 AM

2010 dec 28 AP Approved

2011 Jan 03 EAD Approved

Learn the art of patience. Apply discipline to your thoughts when they become anxious over the outcome of a goal. Impatience breeds anxiety, fear, discouragement and failure. Patience creates confidence, decisiveness, and a rational outlook, which eventually leads to success

By any chance, did you apply for the job in response to a job ad that stated that US citizenship is required? Or, during the application process, were you asked if you're a citizen or LPR? If you did fill up a form or sent your employer any paper that clearly stated your residency status (LPR), I would think you have very strong evidence that you did not misrepresent (claim citizenship) yourself which you can use later, if needed.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Seems to me you have an incompetent or lazy HR person who filled out the form wrong. When you were hired they have to ask for proof of legal ability to work and you showed your GC.

At that point if the silly HR person put down that you're a citizen, it is not your fault (BTW - did they take a photocopy of it? There's your proof that they knew and goofed) - I think you/ they need to identify where it went wrong and who marked down that you're a citizen when you're not - because you personally have not pretended to be anything else - they are trying to cover their a$$.

Don't sign anything until you understand what it means in full - they cannot make you sign anything until they've explained things clearly to you.

I doubt this will filter down or cause a problem for immigration - your company needs to correct their mistake.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well the big meeting with HR revealed nothing, they kept saying based on the information I provided that I should have no problems working and that I never misrepresented myself. They then went on to say that 99.99% of the people that work for our company are citizens and that the girl responsible for e-verifications must have assumed I'm an American. No matter how many times I said "What was the point of me completing the i-9 when the person responsible doesn't even look down at the page". Long story short the girl reverified me and everything is now apparently good to go.

I-751 file: 11/07/11

NOA1 date: 11/10/11

Biometrics: 11/30/11

Approval: 08/17/12

Hold what you got and maintain.

Well the big meeting with HR revealed nothing, they kept saying based on the information I provided that I should have no problems working and that I never misrepresented myself. They then went on to say that 99.99% of the people that work for our company are citizens and that the girl responsible for e-verifications must have assumed I'm an American. No matter how many times I said "What was the point of me completing the i-9 when the person responsible doesn't even look down at the page". Long story short the girl reverified me and everything is now apparently good to go.

Good for you and good to know.

I think HR people not immediately knowing how to handle the work papers of noncitizens may be the rule wherever you are. When I lived in Canada, every semester that my work contract was made up, I had to also explain my work and resident status to the HR people. And that was a university where noncitizen or foreign workers are not a rarity.

Timeline

When I was hired at my job back in April I actually had to ask the HR manager if she wanted to see my GC. She didn't even know what that was! I made it perfectly clear in my interview that I was not a US citizen, but I'm apparently the first non-citizen they have hired in 51 years so they had no idea what to ask me for. At first they just wanted to see my DL, which came across as a little strange.

Glad everything worked out Beans :)

Timeline

Excellent - glad that worked out!

When I was hired at my job back in April I actually had to ask the HR manager if she wanted to see my GC. She didn't even know what that was! I made it perfectly clear in my interview that I was not a US citizen, but I'm apparently the first non-citizen they have hired in 51 years so they had no idea what to ask me for. At first they just wanted to see my DL, which came across as a little strange.

I have the opposite experience - in our IT area - I would say about half the people are on a GC or work VISA of some kind. The HR guy who verified my GC was actually a GC holder himself from Peru so it was not big deal for him :)

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

I never showed my green card at my job, and you're not required to - YOU pick what you want to show that satisfies I-9 requirements. DL and SSN is perfectly ok. All you have to do is check the LPR box. Once I got the citizenship, I updated my I-9 again with DL and SSN.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.